Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody heard of a bolt on overdrive for 1800.. I'm currently trying to convence an overdrive manufacture that one for a goldwing would sell. and it could pobably bolt to the finel drive making the drive shaft tube 2'' or 3'' shorter.. What do ya think??

·
Banned
2,926 Posts

Welcome from the wet city on the left coast.

One would think that would be a gas saver, but in reality, it is the cost of energy to push the motorcycle through the air and gravity. Gearing the bike even lower, will not raise the gas consumption either.

The RPM's of the motor has little effect on fuel consumption. That is unless you are riding on the autobahn and you frequently travel at 90+ mph. It is often said, that if you keep your RPM's at or below 3,000 one gets the best mileage. Well yes... as that speed on a 1500 is around 65 mph.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
hello aloysiuswg, welcome to GWOF. while it would be possable to make an external trans to get another overdrive gear shortening the drive shaft would cause lots of up and down motion when accelerating and decelerating

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
A true overdrive gear( sixth gear ) was the one of the possible dreams hoped by some for the 2012 Wing. Maybe next year. I'd like one. Like the Harley, it would be nice to cruise at 80 mph tacking under 3,000 rpm's.

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
" Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. " ~ The Big Buddha.
Excellent. This is so appropriate for this topic. We each have to test truth for ourselves.

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts
So are we saying that a car tire is 6th gear??? Or have we gotten off track again.. LOL

·
Premium Member
24,510 Posts
Here's my $.02: 6 speed tranny, dual cams, twin clutch technology, weight loss program, revised inverted cartridge forks, factory floorboards, new trunk to match the existing bodywork updates (I actually like 'em), more colours for us crazy Canucks, and (drum roll) ELECTRIC WINDSHIELD sorry about the w/s...I just had to:D
Too late for 2013 production run, but 2014 isn't out of line is it?:cool:

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
Us off topic??? Never!!!!!

:D - :D

·
Banned
2,926 Posts
My motor runs very smooth. I can't tell the difference in feel between 3,000 and 6,000 rpm's. ( I know... look at the tach.)

It is the energy required to push the weight of the motorcycle/weight of rider and wind resistance.... which dictates the amount of fuel used, not the rpm's of the motor.

A friend of mine bought a Victory Vision. Big V-twin with saddle bags, rear trunk, full front fairing and the likes. His gearing is such that his bike could go 150 mph. He says his bike is at 2500 rpm in 6th gear at 85 mph.

My 1500 at 3,000 is going 65 mph. We rode the mountain passes... so our speed was up and down.... but there were times we needed to go 85 to get around the slow pokes. :)

He and I rode 200 miles together. We both fueled up at the same station.... rode the same speed........ gassed up together again and I used .10 less of a gallon of gas than he did.

By the way.... on a balls to the walls speed test.... I stayed right with him. Just so you know that this 1990 technology still can pull it's weight against the new stuff.

My carbs against his fuel injection.... I am a proud father to my baby.

It is in your mind, the need for 6th gear. Cuz others have it.....

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
My motor runs very smooth. I can't tell the difference in feel between 3,000 and 6,000 rpm's. ( I know... look at the tach.)

It is the energy required to push the weight of the motorcycle/weight of rider and wind resistance.... which dictates the amount of fuel used, not the rpm's of the motor.

A friend of mine bought a Victory Vision. Big V-twin with saddle bags, rear trunk, full front fairing and the likes. His gearing is such that his bike could go 150 mph. He says his bike is at 2500 rpm in 6th gear at 85 mph.

My 1500 at 3,000 is going 65 mph. We rode the mountain passes... so our speed was up and down.... but there were times we needed to go 85 to get around the slow pokes. :)

He and I rode 200 miles together. We both fueled up at the same station.... rode the same speed........ gassed up together again and I used .10 less of a gallon of gas than he did.

By the way.... on a balls to the walls speed test.... I stayed right with him. Just so you know that this 1990 technology still can pull it's weight against the new stuff.

My carbs against his fuel injection.... I am a proud father to my baby.

It is in your mind, the need for 6th gear. Cuz others have it.....
Amen Larry. First I get a VHF radio telephone and then it's a bag phone, but that's not good enough, so it's the Star Tac flip phone, a smart phone and then the latest Android and now an iPhone. Actually there was allot of other phones that didn't get mentioned. Are we ever happy with what we got?

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
I sure don't appear to be! :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.