Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One month, 2500 miles. Some thoughts.

I got my ’12 GL level 3 a little more than a month ago and I now have a little more than 2500 miles on the clock, most the miles put on the first two weeks while on vacation. Figured I’d share some of my thoughts so far.

For some background, I’ve been riding for over 30 years, currently also have a ’06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100. All have been naked bikes.

I’ll start by saying I’m really loving the wing and any negatives listed here are very minor, but negatives (to me) none the less.

The likes:

• I was very surprised on how it handles. While not a sport bike by any means, it does handle very well with its low center of gravity.
  • Lots of getup and go.
  • Smooth and quiet.
  • Comfort. As I get older comfort is getting more important in all things.
  • Cleans up easy. This is my first fairinged bike. I like not having to clean bugs out of all the nooks and crannies.
  • Puts a huge grin on my face!

Dislikes or wish list items.

• GPS. I have a Zumo 550 and 665 and think the built in GPS just doesn’t compare.
  • 1st gear. While I can understand having a low 1st gear, it just isn’t very smooth and getting on and off the throttle in 1st isn’t very pleasant. This could very possibly be rider error and just a matter of getting better used to it, but once I shift into 2nd it is a very different (better) experience.
  • 6th gear. It would be nice to have one.
  • Electric windshield. Very minor, but would be nice.
  • Electric center stand. I have a friend with a BMW and would love to have his center stand. For the geek factor only.
  • Display to show current and average fuel mileage. My Jeep has a miles to empty display, that would be very nice on a bike.
  • Display temperature without having to press a button.

From 1 to 10 I'm giving it a 9.5.

Looking forward to putting many, many more miles on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like you enjoyed every one of the 2500 miles. Great data for us all and I agree with all of your likes and dislikes. I like the creature comforts myself and the needs list you put together has my vote. One thing I didn't see you mention is the low speed wobble. Maybe you got lucky and have a bike that doesn't act like an ex-wife every time you let it go. Ride On!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't experienced the low speed wobble. I haven't tried either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a fair warning when and if you do take your hands off. I was thinking it was resolved in the 12 models. This winter my plan is to install the All Balls bearing kit. Maybe. Take care.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've rode a little bit hands off, but it was probably around 50 or 60 mph. It does pull a little to the right as others have complained about, but no wobble.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Not a bad effort (2500 miles in a month) If you keep that up you maybe the first to wearout a 1800. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
sounds like a keeper

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Keep going Sly, I'm betting you can't wear it out.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Thanks for your report. Glad your enjoying your new Wing.. Ride safe..

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not a bad effort (2500 miles in a month) If you keep that up you maybe the first to wearout a 1800. Eric
I was on vacation the first 2 weeks and had plenty of time to rack up some miles. Now that I'm back to work the pace will decrease greatly. :(

One thing that I should have added to the list of things I'd like to improve would be the seat. I was quite surprised after my first longish ride that it wasn't as comfortable as I had expected. I did notice that if I wear my riding pants it's much better. So it's probably more a clothing issue than the seat. Still might look into an alternative.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Just a fair warning when and if you do take your hands off. I was thinking it was resolved in the 12 models. This winter my plan is to install the All Balls bearing kit. Maybe. Take care.
AS far as I know stock wing have the ball bearings in the head stock, and many riders change them out for taper bearings then add a fork brace and progressive springs , I have rode a friends wing with these changes and it's like night and day compaired to stock , it is much better. JMHO

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
From what the gurus tell me when we meet, the powered windshield is on the list for the new model whenever that happens:rolleyes: Haven't heard about a trtip computer but the technology is there (the ST1300 has a fuel econo display). The GPS is lacking compared to some others out there, but it's something that Honda and Garmin together have to work out, and it's much improved from where it started. I have never noticed snatchy throttle in 1st gear, but I'm very used to Wings so. As to the six speed tranny, another gear might be nice, but the current gearbox is what it is to afford the Wing that wonderful passing roll-on power and trailer pulling capability. A sixth gear would change that big time. The Goldwing's transission took a long time and huge amounts of testing to make it what it is and Honda isn't big on changing things that work.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tested it on the way home today. Took it up to 50 and let go. When it got to 40 it started wobbling, stopped at 35. Not real bad, no where near a tank slapper. Not too worried about it, but it's good to know it's there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.