Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm sure there's someone out there who can describe the differences between the older '80's models and the post 2001's. The only description I've heard so far is that the newer models are built like space ships.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
If this is an essay on Goldwings I'll take a crack at it.
In the 1980's you had GL-1100 & 1200. Standard, Interstate and Aspencade all were 4 cylinder models with 4 carbs up until 1988. Honda had two fuel injected models the 1200 Limited for 1985 & the Aspencade SEi for 1986. Next came the GL-1500/6 Goldwing in 1988, in the years to follow there was the SE, followed by the Aspencade and Interstate model. No fuel injection only 2 carbs. Reverse, cruise control, CB (option) to name just a couple from 1988 to 2000 the GL-1500 lasted 12 years. 2001 to present the engine is upgraded to 1800 and is fuel injected, loaded with electronics for the engine.
Even come with an 'Airbag', TPM & heated seat and grips to name a few.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I have a question Lady : If they flirted with " fuel injection " with the 1200 how come it didn't transfer over to the 1500's ?

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
I have a question Lady : If they flirted with " fuel injection " with the 1200 how come it didn't transfer over to the 1500's ?
cost and complexity. look up the price of a 1200 aspencade and a 1200 ltd or sei of the same year

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I owned a (my first) 1985 Aspencade and LOVED IT! I was the third owner and was never sure if the stator issue was resolved for my bike. I think it went out right after I sold it to the mechanic who did any work on it. Anyway I ride with my father who has a VTX1300 and another friend who has a Valkyrie. The way I needed to down shift and still could not keep up with the Valkyrie and my dad on my rear fender. My lack of stereo and just the looks of the 1800's got me thinking, "I WANT ONE!"
So I scrimped saved and now I have a 08 and let me tell you WOW! what a difference. Two up ridding and no down shifting and still pull away from dad on hills. Fuel injected so when I make it to the Rockies I will be fine. AWESOME (for me anyway) sound system 30gig Zune and 60 or 80 watts a channel. People dont stop at the Valkyrie anymore they come over to my bike and make comments. Side note, You talk about a bad A%% bike, Valkyries are really really cool.
I think I made the right move (Im in debt) by getting my 08 but knew I had a great machine when I had the 1200. My 2 cents worth :D
I drove 670 miles and bought one site unseen. I had never ridden one, just sat on them in the show room. That is how bad I had it!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all that replied so far. I guess what I am looking for is the kind of response that Ralphumor had. I want to hear from someone who owned both, the 1980's Wing and the late model 2001 and newer Wing. I'd like to hear from your own experience about how the older model performed as opposed to how the new models perform. Ralphumor said that with the older model, he had a hard time keeping up. That's no problem for him now with the new Wing. Perfect. I'd like to hear about your own personal experiences of riding both machines. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
From what I have read on books dedicated to the history of the Goldwing, it was not perfect and had problems, the number of bikes built were 2500 of each.
Like detdrbuzzard posted cost and complexity was another issue, not many dealers had the 'Reader' for the CFI unit that was under the tourbox.
If it would have succeeded the GL-1500 would have been CFI. In one of the Goldwing history books the 1988 GL1500 had more electronics then the Limited or SEi.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I owned a (my first) 1985 Aspencade and LOVED IT! I was the third owner and was never sure if the stator issue was resolved for my bike. I think it went out right after I sold it to the mechanic who did any work on it. Anyway I ride with my father who has a VTX1300 and another friend who has a Valkyrie. The way I needed to down shift and still could not keep up with the Valkyrie and my dad on my rear fender. My lack of stereo and just the looks of the 1800's got me thinking, "I WANT ONE!"
So I scrimped saved and now I have a 08 and let me tell you WOW! what a difference. Two up ridding and no down shifting and still pull away from dad on hills. Fuel injected so when I make it to the Rockies I will be fine. AWESOME (for me anyway) sound system 30gig Zune and 60 or 80 watts a channel. People dont stop at the Valkyrie anymore they come over to my bike and make comments. Side note, You talk about a bad A%% bike, Valkyries are really really cool.
I think I made the right move (Im in debt) by getting my 08 but knew I had a great machine when I had the 1200. My 2 cents worth :D
I drove 670 miles and bought one site unseen. I had never ridden one, just sat on them in the show room. That is how bad I had it!
The best testimonial that has been proffered so far. Kickstand down ! We process into the future, but only upon regress from ideas of the past.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Old versus new

Commander K:

I had one of the first Aspencades delivered in the state of Tennessee in the early part of 1982. I loved that bike in its' gold and brown tones. I probably put 80,000 miles on that bike including one wonderful trip to all the national parks in the southwest riding two up with a trailer. It did everything I wanted and delivered trouble free performance.

I took a hiatus for a few years and then bought a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate. This was also a great bike, good manners and awesome performance.

Now I drive an 1800 Gold Wing and while it has all the goodies mentioned above the best thing about it is that it is a lot lighter than the older bikes. Technology in the frame construction makes it stronger but lighter and much easier to handle.

BUT... I rode my wife's Can Am Spyder for a couple of hours today and I have to admit that it provides a smoother, more comfortable ride than my GL 1800.

rickrae

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also like (still do) the gold and brown colors on the 80's style GW. I guess it was an awesome bike for its time and it made its name in the touring bike world. Probably the best tourer then as it is now. Thanks all for your input. You all provided me with more information than I had before. I'll keep reading here as long as the 'essays' keep rolling in.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Probably the best way to discribe the difference would be
Night and day:D
I have been accused of talking to much. I can see it now, because I wrote a couple of paragraphs and you nailed it with 3 words! "Night and Day." :D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
rickrae I have to disagree on the Spyder. I found it choppy and a bit unsettling to say the least, but I do tend to ride aggerssivley and the Spyder doesn't like to do tight radius turns all that much. It's what makes motorcycling such a diverse activity I guess. Then again, I've got a burning desire to get an RC51 to get my adrenaline junky thing fixed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read alot about the 1800's frames cracking from hauling trailers
They are smaller
Have less baggage space
The only reason I would buy an 1800 is because it would be starting the odometer from scratch (New)
and the rear wheel is super easy to change a flat on...
I will stay with my 88 1500 till she drops...and then maybe overhaul and do it again....LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts