Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had recently traded my 1993 Aspencade for a 1980 gl 1100 and am glad I did because of the weight difference in holding it up. I broke my ankle 2 years ago and really had a hard time holding the 93 up but the 80 feels like it is what I need till my ankle heals totally up if it ever does ,lol. Considered getting a trike or kit to put on the 93 but the cost was out of my buget way too much. Anyone in this situation can think about this and it may be better for them as it is for me. I don't know much about how dependable the older ones are but from reading many things on the older ones their as good as a bike today as they were in their days. I do have a couple minor things that needs fixed but will share them in the tech area and ask advise as what to do next. I want to keep this one for the new versus the old.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
less weight is one reason i like my 1200 wing but the ergo on my 1500 wing fit me better

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 93 was a much nicer looking and a very smooth ride and much power too and loved the red color and the style but I sacrificed and feel I made the right move. Seems like the older we get the more comfort we want.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
As the saying goes," you have done the hard yards, now it's about looking after yourself". If that what you need to do to keep riding and you want to. Go for it. I love old bikes and cars. By the end of 2011 I should have my 1949 Vauxhall Velox back on the road. I just hope I live long enough to get the rest of the fleet restored. Eric

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I went from a full dressed Harley to a 700 Magna after totaling the Harley!! I was not supposed to walk much less ride. I eventually ended up On a 1200 Interstate. I have very bad legs and ankles due to degenerative Arthiritus and can hold it up as well as My lady . If the 1100 suits you I say ride on!! If you are in the wind and happy it is all that matters!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eric, what is a Vauxall Velox? I never heard of that. I like old cars but never been much into old bikes except the 70's 750 fours, I use to ride a 71 custom built chopper that had the 750 on it and it was a wonderful bike to ride, but he finacial ties forced me to sell it. Wished I still had it...so many good memories that came with that old bike. What would it be like to go back in time and do it again? Those were for sure the ole days that we cherish and never forget.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rigginray, sorry to hear of your down time and I know what you went through, but you didn't let it take you down and your up and riding again...that takes alot of guts and love for the wind. I had a friend whom was caught up in a accient when a man in a pickup didn't stop at a stop sign and he hit my friend from the side and it messed him up pretty good. To this day he has no interest in getting back on a bike and don't think he will anytime soon. I have never layed a bike down but been throwed from a horse and it bruised my hip and to this day I am still scared to get on a horse. I tried it one time after and rode it about 4 steps and got off, I was just to scared and remeber the pain I suffered and didn't want to feel that awful pain again. I give you honors for your courage and love for the wind that it didn't stop you from doing what you love.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
A Vauxhall Velox is an English GM. It looks like a 1948 Stylemaster Chevrolet which we have in our National Museum.The chevy was put in the museum because it was my Aunties car and everyone wanted it. So we did it up and put it there were we can see it but it can never be sold. I like Blue so most cars I paint get painted blue.The 1948 Chevy, 1949 Vauxhall,1957Vauxhall all painted different blues. The Vauxhall is a smaller car than the chevy and has the front doors hinged from the centre pillar. So the front doors on the Vauxhall swings the same the chevy's rear door. You guy's my be more familiar with my 1967 Valiant [Dodge] station wagon but I am painting it in brown. Eric

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember the Valiant , my bro-in-law had one and all I can remember of it was it had a push button shifter on the dash and it was red and white. It was not a station wagaon though. I don't suppose I ever seen the cars your talking about but who knows maybe I did and don't remember them.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
my knees are not in the greatest shape so i'm glad my gf rides her own wing. sofar i can handle the weight of the 1500 but a passenger getting on or off presents a challenge but thats on either wing

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi Timsaidhi, I bumped up about 4 years ago from an 1982 GL1100 to my ride now 2000 GL1500. The two main reasons I made this move was to get the intercom and the proper CB because I ride with people with CB's. Also at the time in Ontario Canada the insurance company's did not want to insure bikes over 20 years old. I don't know if that is still in affect.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Timsaidhi only you can really answer this one. I have an arthritic left ankle and a shot right knee thanks to my stupidity in younger years, but I prefer the power and handlingof the 1500 and 1800 over previous models, and the 1800 just outguns the 1500 for me. Of course we are all different so that's what makes biking such a great gig. In sheer performance numbers, it's amazing how close all the GLs are in measureable comparisons, so it's individual choice that makes the difference.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
A Vauxhall Velox is an English GM. It looks like a 1948 Stylemaster Chevrolet which we have in our National Museum.The chevy was put in the museum because it was my Aunties car and everyone wanted it. So we did it up and put it there were we can see it but it can never be sold. I like Blue so most cars I paint get painted blue.The 1948 Chevy, 1949 Vauxhall,1957Vauxhall all painted different blues. The Vauxhall is a smaller car than the chevy and has the front doors hinged from the centre pillar. So the front doors on the Vauxhall swings the same the chevy's rear door. You guy's my be more familiar with my 1967 Valiant [Dodge] station wagon but I am painting it in brown. Eric
Eric, if you have any pics of those cars, I'm sure folks on here would like to see them. They sound very interesting...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Detdrbuzzard, Your GF rides her own wing? I hope you never upset her . lol. She might spank ya...She must have lots of muscle to hold one up. Or does she ride a trike?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Badrider, I haven't talked with my ins. co. yet about the bike. In Texas we have 30 days to add it to our policy after we buy. I hope they don't tell me that they willn't insure me cause they make over 5k a year from me on my other vehicles and my 3 rent houses. They may lose my business for that nonsense. I had a cb on the 1500 but never used it cause the antena was missing and didn't want to pay $160.00 for a relacement. I drive a truck too and don't use a cb their either. Just to much garbage and obsene language there for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Buodoka, I do agree with you so very much the bigger the better but we are looking at 650lbs. versuses 950lbs. It is really a big difference in handling and being able to hold it up if it started to lean to one side. If and when my ankle heals up enough to handle a bigger one then I will probably buy one but till then I have to do what i need to still be able to ride a wing. I thought about maybe getting a shadow or etc.. but I love the wing more than any bike I have ever owned. Except One problem I have with a wing and that is the foot pedals position...I fell they should have placed them futher forward than they did. But in time we get use to it and never think of it anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eric, I would like to see the pics of the cars you say you have. They have my curiosity up as to what they look like.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Detdrbuzzard, Your GF rides her own wing? I hope you never upset her . lol. She might spank ya...She must have lots of muscle to hold one up. Or does she ride a trike?
if you look in the gallery at pic's of my bikes you'll see a pic of her wineberry '84 nakkidd wing, thats the only pic of her bike i have. and the only changes are chrome master cylinder covers, chrome helmet holder studs on both sides, chrome brake and clutch levers, and a plexifairing. if we go somewhere and she needs to carry gear she will ride my 1200 aspencade. on her bike she can take off and leave me

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
my knees are not in the greatest shape so i'm glad my gf rides her own wing. sofar i can handle the weight of the 1500 but a passenger getting on or off presents a challenge but thats on either wing
Hey William. I posted a question on another thread concerning a "Ride Off" center stand for the GW. Concerning your knees and the passenger loading problems, maybe the Ride Off Center stand would help. I am sure thinking about getting one soon as I can figure out which bank to rob. Here is the link to it on WingStuff. Don't know if they make one for a 1200 or 1500 but worth a look see. Saw one in use on a BMW and she just climbed on, he climbed on and drove off. Looked easy for both he and the gf.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...st/gl1800/235_goldwing_Kickstand_RideOff/des/

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
my gf is not interested in being a passenger unless we are going to buy another bike so a "ride off " stand wouldn't be of much benefit for me being solo 99% of the time. last riding season i had two passengers. rode bettyboop from her house to mine so she could ride the 1200 wing instead of her nakked 1100 wing. total distance for both trips is less than 1/4 mile

1 - 20 of 37 Posts