Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had recently traded my 1993 Aspencade for a 1980 gl 1100 and am glad I did because of the weight difference in holding it up. I broke my ankle 2 years ago and really had a hard time holding the 93 up but the 80 feels like it is what I need till my ankle heals totally up if it ever does ,lol. Considered getting a trike or kit to put on the 93 but the cost was out of my buget way too much. Anyone in this situation can think about this and it may be better for them as it is for me. I don't know much about how dependable the older ones are but from reading many things on the older ones their as good as a bike today as they were in their days. I do have a couple minor things that needs fixed but will share them in the tech area and ask advise as what to do next. I want to keep this one for the new versus the old.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
less weight is one reason i like my 1200 wing but the ergo on my 1500 wing fit me better

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
As the saying goes," you have done the hard yards, now it's about looking after yourself". If that what you need to do to keep riding and you want to. Go for it. I love old bikes and cars. By the end of 2011 I should have my 1949 Vauxhall Velox back on the road. I just hope I live long enough to get the rest of the fleet restored. Eric

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I went from a full dressed Harley to a 700 Magna after totaling the Harley!! I was not supposed to walk much less ride. I eventually ended up On a 1200 Interstate. I have very bad legs and ankles due to degenerative Arthiritus and can hold it up as well as My lady . If the 1100 suits you I say ride on!! If you are in the wind and happy it is all that matters!!!

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
A Vauxhall Velox is an English GM. It looks like a 1948 Stylemaster Chevrolet which we have in our National Museum.The chevy was put in the museum because it was my Aunties car and everyone wanted it. So we did it up and put it there were we can see it but it can never be sold. I like Blue so most cars I paint get painted blue.The 1948 Chevy, 1949 Vauxhall,1957Vauxhall all painted different blues. The Vauxhall is a smaller car than the chevy and has the front doors hinged from the centre pillar. So the front doors on the Vauxhall swings the same the chevy's rear door. You guy's my be more familiar with my 1967 Valiant [Dodge] station wagon but I am painting it in brown. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
my knees are not in the greatest shape so i'm glad my gf rides her own wing. sofar i can handle the weight of the 1500 but a passenger getting on or off presents a challenge but thats on either wing

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Hi Timsaidhi, I bumped up about 4 years ago from an 1982 GL1100 to my ride now 2000 GL1500. The two main reasons I made this move was to get the intercom and the proper CB because I ride with people with CB's. Also at the time in Ontario Canada the insurance company's did not want to insure bikes over 20 years old. I don't know if that is still in affect.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Timsaidhi only you can really answer this one. I have an arthritic left ankle and a shot right knee thanks to my stupidity in younger years, but I prefer the power and handlingof the 1500 and 1800 over previous models, and the 1800 just outguns the 1500 for me. Of course we are all different so that's what makes biking such a great gig. In sheer performance numbers, it's amazing how close all the GLs are in measureable comparisons, so it's individual choice that makes the difference.

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
A Vauxhall Velox is an English GM. It looks like a 1948 Stylemaster Chevrolet which we have in our National Museum.The chevy was put in the museum because it was my Aunties car and everyone wanted it. So we did it up and put it there were we can see it but it can never be sold. I like Blue so most cars I paint get painted blue.The 1948 Chevy, 1949 Vauxhall,1957Vauxhall all painted different blues. The Vauxhall is a smaller car than the chevy and has the front doors hinged from the centre pillar. So the front doors on the Vauxhall swings the same the chevy's rear door. You guy's my be more familiar with my 1967 Valiant [Dodge] station wagon but I am painting it in brown. Eric
Eric, if you have any pics of those cars, I'm sure folks on here would like to see them. They sound very interesting...

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
Detdrbuzzard, Your GF rides her own wing? I hope you never upset her . lol. She might spank ya...She must have lots of muscle to hold one up. Or does she ride a trike?
if you look in the gallery at pic's of my bikes you'll see a pic of her wineberry '84 nakkidd wing, thats the only pic of her bike i have. and the only changes are chrome master cylinder covers, chrome helmet holder studs on both sides, chrome brake and clutch levers, and a plexifairing. if we go somewhere and she needs to carry gear she will ride my 1200 aspencade. on her bike she can take off and leave me

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
my knees are not in the greatest shape so i'm glad my gf rides her own wing. sofar i can handle the weight of the 1500 but a passenger getting on or off presents a challenge but thats on either wing
Hey William. I posted a question on another thread concerning a "Ride Off" center stand for the GW. Concerning your knees and the passenger loading problems, maybe the Ride Off Center stand would help. I am sure thinking about getting one soon as I can figure out which bank to rob. Here is the link to it on WingStuff. Don't know if they make one for a 1200 or 1500 but worth a look see. Saw one in use on a BMW and she just climbed on, he climbed on and drove off. Looked easy for both he and the gf.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...st/gl1800/235_goldwing_Kickstand_RideOff/des/

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
my gf is not interested in being a passenger unless we are going to buy another bike so a "ride off " stand wouldn't be of much benefit for me being solo 99% of the time. last riding season i had two passengers. rode bettyboop from her house to mine so she could ride the 1200 wing instead of her nakked 1100 wing. total distance for both trips is less than 1/4 mile

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I figure when the time comes and I cant support 2up I will go trike!!

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Because I am rebuilding the Vauxhalls engine I can't get it out of the shed and the driveway to the shed has not yet being done I can't get them out for photo. The photos I have are hard copies done with film. So what I will have to do is get my daughter to copy them and put them on the stick so I can load it onto my computer. That is all too chalenging for me. I will get some help Eric

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thats why I ended up with a trike, trying to balance & holding two up. Scared me more for my wife's safety than anything else. I was just going to give up riding after 40yrs. before I got the trike. Iam in love with riding all over again now. Its a 93 SE w/18,600 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Never really gave any thought to which was the best. Both seem to serve the purpose quite satisfactorily. :)

Only problem I had with the 1200 was the stator wiring which I corrected before smoking the stator. :eek:

Only problem with the 1500 is around 10-12 mpg less than the 1200. :mad:

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Timsaidhi: I search hi and low to get photo's of the blue 57. This is the disadvantage of moving house, you know you have something but you can't find it. I have an unrestored 57 which is brown so you can see what it looks like. The photos of the blue car is the 49. I will get a photo of the Valiant when I can get down to my brothers place where I have started to paint it. He side tracked me into doing his 1973 Dodge Ambulance. I have cut the rust out of the front gaurds and have sprayed the front and now have to do the doors. But the first job is to finish my daughters 1975 honda 125cb. Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had an '85 GL1200 for about a year and I just picked up a '95 a few weeks ago.

In the short time that I've had the 1500, I immediately noticed the weight difference when righting it from the side stand. The 1500 seems a bit more top-heavy than the 1200 (there is a 70lbs difference in weight).

They both are very smooth, comfortable touring machines and I don't think anyone would be disappointed with either one.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Timsaidhi: They are made in England by GM. I will get photos of the Valiant a bit latter. I can't find the photos that I want. Photos of bikes and cars look better when they are taken out and about, so I will work on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have a 86 interstate and we ride with a lot of sport tour bikes so the weight is a big factor. The other is I'm broke and cant afford one of those really cool new bikes that are out there. I still get nice comments on the old bike so that keeps me riding. Plus I don't have that mortgage. Good luck on the new OLD bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.