Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum

I finally caved in and bought an old 97 GoldWing. I've owned around 150 bikes in my 56 years alive. I swore to never cave in and own a Wing but here I am after riding and owning just about everything. I still have 11 other bikes. So far I like the Wing a lot!!

I also own 9 airplanes. 3 are former military jets. I guess I'm nuts but I'm sure most people here are motorheads like me. Look forward to talking to you all!!!

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Pa.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine has right at 100,000 miles. It's clean but needs a little tweeking. It sat a while after the owner passed away. Carbs gummed up so the son of the owner had Honda do the carbs. He got had for $1100 and it leaked fuel afterwards. Had the fuel lines fixed and now it idles at 1200 so something is still not right. Maybe a vacuum leak? Runs great though. Leaves a few drops of oil on each side around the cam covers also. Digital display not currently working and I'm not sure on the timing belts. The body is cherry on it. One owner bike. Just needs sorting. Probably has another 200K left in it.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have a few other vehicles, but nothing compared to you!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have a few other vehicles, but nothing compared to you!
Yeah I'm stupid. A victim of myself. It's impossible to keep it all running between dead batteries and stale fuel. I love to punish myself!!! A lot of my bikes are early stuff so I don't ride them much anyway. I need stock in SeaFoam!!!! The son of the owner of my wing dropped $1100 into the carbs after it sat 8 months. I bet Sea Foam would have snapped her out of it. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Hello Forum

I finally caved in and bought an old 97 GoldWing. I've owned around 150 bikes in my 56 years alive. I swore to never cave in and own a Wing but here I am after riding and owning just about everything. I still have 11 other bikes. So far I like the Wing a lot!!

I also own 9 airplanes. 3 are former military jets. I guess I'm nuts but I'm sure most people here are motorheads like me. Look forward to talking to you all!!!
Welcome to the GWOF, Lockheed!

I don't know if your nuts or not, but you must be made out of money to own all that stuff!:D And that's a good thing!:)

Anyway, your decision to "cave in" and buy a Wing will most likely be one of the more satisfying decisions you've made. Perfect for a pilot to own a Wing!;)

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF
You should be able to dieal with the idle easy enough.
Open the fuel door and look to the right in front of the fuel cap. Should be a knurled knob stick out the top of a plastic tube. Start the bike let it warm up then turn the knob CCW to about 800. It might be cranked up because of a rough idle, (dirty low speed jet, usually on the left side) Would love to see you collection of old birds.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the GWOF, Lockheed!

I don't know if your nuts or not, but you must be made out of money to own all that stuff!:D And that's a good thing!:)

Anyway, your decision to "cave in" and buy a Wing will most likely be one of the more satisfying decisions you've made. Perfect for a pilot to own a Wing!;)
Ha ha I know a few pilots with Wings and they love them. One of my favorite bikes of all times is the Suzuki TL1000R. I own a cherry 2000 that I bought new. It defines badass to me. Blue flames popping out the cans at night. It has so much personality to it but it will hurt you fast!!! You respect it a lot!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the GWOF
You should be able to dieal with the idle easy enough.
Open the fuel door and look to the right in front of the fuel cap. Should be a knurled knob stick out the top of a plastic tube. Start the bike let it warm up then turn the knob CCW to about 800. It might be cranked up because of a rough idle, (dirty low speed jet, usually on the left side) Would love to see you collection of old birds.
Thanks for the tip!!!

I put my 3 jets in my album but since I'm cheap so far that's all i'm allowed ha ha. I will pay soon and upgrade!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After the dealer did the carbs (Malcom Smith in Riverside) in was leaking fuel badly. His son took it back in and they refused to fix the leak. This after a $1100 bill. So he had the fuel lines replaced somewhere else. This was before I bought the bike.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The engine is so smooth and sounds great but I have not tried to force it to idle down yet. But at $4000 and being so clean, it's worth a little work. An idiot could drive it as is just fine but I'm pretty anal on stuff doing what it should. The digital display will be the biggest challenge I think. I don't like it not working. It would be nice to have a GW guru around me just to pay to do this stuff. Dealers are just to hungry to turn loose on these things.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
OK, I'm nosy. The car pictured behind the bike, a 1972 Torino?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They should be ashamed of themselves taking $1100 and giving a bike back that started leaking fuel the next day. And then to refuse to fix it. They should have seen brittle fuel lines. I'm not a fan of the dealers. I own two Harleys and you can really get it from them. My friend had a tranny that popped out of second after the shift but then went back into gear itself. It was weird. Harley got him for $3200 on a cassette tranny that pops out the side. 6 months later it was doing it again so he went to an independent Harley shop that upgraded his whole trans to a 6 speed for $1500. They slide a whole new trans in. The bike is perfect now.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
The engine is so smooth and sounds great but I have not tried to force it to idle down yet. But at $4000 and being so clean, it's worth a little work. An idiot could drive it as is just fine but I'm pretty anal on stuff doing what it should. The digital display will be the biggest challenge I think. I don't like it not working. It would be nice to have a GW guru around me just to pay to do this stuff. Dealers are just to hungry to turn loose on these things.
On the digital display. Is there any sign of what might look like a water line across the screen at all. I've replace one on a friends bike, where the sun got to the LCD gel and dried it out. He found a a couple dash unit on ebay. We just used the LCD unit.
DEpending on the amount of Damage,sometime you get part of the display others if it's bad enough you loose the it all.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, I'm nosy. The car pictured behind the bike, a 1972 Torino?
I'm not sure. That my buddy's shop and I was not paying attention. I own a 2008 Shelby GT and don't pay much attention to old cars. I've owned a bunch of them but lost interest. I think I was stranded one too many times and swore off old cars. I had a 32 Flathead Highboy back in 90 or so that was my last straw old car!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On the digital display. Is there any sign of what might look like a water line across the screen at all. I've replace one on a friends bike, where the sun got to the LCD gel and dried it out. He found a a couple dash unit on ebay. We just used the LCD unit.
DEpending on the amount of Damage,sometime you get part of the display others if it's bad enough you loose the it all.
It was blank. Radio worked etc but no display.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts