1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
Old posts never expire, they just get new Wings. :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
What's the expiration date on old posts? I mean, they are cool and all, but I feel weird reading 2 or 3 year old posts. I feel like a peeping-tom!
Old threads/posts are like Old bike riders. There is no expiration they just keep on keeping on until they can't go any longer.:3dcool:

There is a lot of great reading in the old stuff. Especially the trip reports. Cool to see some of the pictures/reports from the past even reread them myself sometimes. Might I recommend anything posted from my Mate, Eric. His & Vanessa's adventures always entertain & make me feel that I've already visited Australia.:popcorn:

The really only weird thing I see about it is when someone posts to the thread as if the topic was just posted yesterday.It's like they really didn't read the whole thing.......:err:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
While researching a subject or a question I may have, I've ran across old posts that are exactly what I was looking for. Sometimes it answers my question or I may need more explanation only to get some smarty britches criticizing because I reopened a 2 or 3 year of thread. I haven't figured that one out yet.

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
While researching a subject or a question I may have, I've ran across old posts that are exactly what I was looking for. Sometimes it answers my question or I may need more explanation only to get some smarty britches criticizing because I reopened a 2 or 3 year of thread. I haven't figured that one out yet.
Most of the time it's better to start a new thread for specific questions.

Here's why.

Many times when you reply to an old thread as you say you've done. The regulars here probably know that the person you are asking the question of is no longer active here. So posting the question to them is a mute point.

I've actually have seen where someone asked a banned user a question??????:icon_confused:

From a Mods point of view it can be really a bear to keep things in order.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Most of the time it's better to start a new thread for specific questions.

Here's why.

Many times when you reply to an old thread as you say you've done. The regulars here probably know that the person you are asking the question of is no longer active here. So posting the question to them is a mute point.

I've actually have seen where someone asked a banned user a question??????:icon_confused:

From a Mods point of view it can be really a bear to keep things in order.
Rarely do I direct a question to an individual. Being an open forum I've found that getting replies from several people give a better range of solutions or possibilities. One can't and shouldn't have to assume that all old posts (2 or 3 years old) have members that are no longer active. Where's the cut-off? Is it 2 years, 1 year, or 6 months? I realize you guys have a lot of things to do. I just didn't think that was such a big deal. I'll only post new threads from now on.

It's kind of like the guys that don't do ANY research at all and we might find threads on the same exact subject 3 or 4 times a week. Some guy comes along and says, didn't we just talk about that 2 or 3 times? or do one of these,🍿 It seems like those are the ones that would keep the Mods the busiest. It fairly easy to tell the difference between some just having fun and a real JackWagon, like me, so to speak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.