Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:After 55 years of riding from one end of the spectrum to the other weightwise (bikes-not-me), and values rangeing from a dumpster dive Yamaha 100Twin to a Ariel-Square-Four, I'm now facing the Monsterous Task of holding up and controlling my (new to me) 800lb 1994 1500LE. I'm well versed in travel, coast to coast, and Churchhill to the edge of Guatamala, however my determination and desire to conquer my FEAR of dropping this darling are running at full blast. More hour long excursions, and traffic challanges ahead. I'm eager to plunge into the forum for answers and ideas. GREAT SITE. FLAT-6-FLYER
Bill in Winters, CA

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
Flat-6-flyer,
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Florida.
I'm 54 and too short for a GL-1500 Aspencade and I wouldn't want to drop my Wing at all, I have a Voyager to prevent myself from having an oops.
We're here to help on this forum. Have fun here you'll learn a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a quick acknowledgement for your welcome and I guess it's inappropriate for me to use my former departing blessing..."Keep your sock outta the sprocket"...shaft drives and all considered.....so, perhaps it's don't forget to detach from your intercom.
Bill in Winters CA

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
Flat-6-flyer,
You can use any 'Signature line' saying you like. On another forum I have one that states 'You're never too old for a trike'. Choose one you like.

·
Registered
835 Posts
"my determination and desire to conquer my FEAR of dropping this darling are running at full blast"...no problem Bill. I, as well as many of our friends on this forum will admit, have laid their darlings down more than once. It usually happens at a stop or extreme slow speed. The beauty of the design lets it sit at such an angle, that damage is usually insignificant, if at all, and righting it is a matter of technique rather than strength. Check out utube videos on how to p/up a GW (sorry I dont have the link). Check out the video then go out and kick your ride over :eek:
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Flat-6-flyer,welcome, I also am a new GW rider after a 40 yr. absence from bikes, but the more I ride this bike the more comfortable I feel, man they are nice to ride, I'm having a little struggle with the stop thing and also slow left turns.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I always have concerns with a new bike. Just bought a similar beast and had similar feelings.
I think the key is to practise.

As you already have experience, I don't think a parking lot will help much. I think it will just take a few weeks of riding to get the feel of this. It is well balanced and a joy to ride when it's moving. Like the above said, it's the really low speeds and stops and starts.

So keep riding and I think fear will change to fun.

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
chopin114,
Good videos, first one is funny and the second one important.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
F-6-F, Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania and congrats on your Wing. Ride safe and enjoy the forum. Nice folks and good information on here...

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello flat-6-flyer and welcome to GWOF, first get on it to ride it not with the fear of dropping it

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome aboard flat-6-flyer. Cool beans Chopin, although I usually rate "burnout" artists right up there on the intelligence scale with gnats, but for the guy on the Wing that would be an increase LOL.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
There is only one rule if you ride a bike: Those that have fallen off and those that will fall off. No-one want to but it happen to the best of us. I parked my bike at my sister place once with steering locked and about 4 hour later its on the ground. Did it do it by itself or did someone think I no longer require it. Or was it a case a kid that tried to get on it I do not know. But you do need to know how to get it up again. I know you will have lots of fun with your bike so welcome to the forum from Down Under. Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts