Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've some experience with smaller bikes. I'm buying an older Goldwing tomorrow. It's a good deal. I couldn't find any owners' manuals online and the fellow I'm getting it from doesn't have one.

I'm supposed to drive this beastie home tomorrow, across 55 miles of urban region without much more than an up and down his street for orientation. Hell, I had to "Google" the shift configuration.

I'm a little nervous. Most of my experience was on mid-sized bikes back in the 70s and 80s. I had a Helix last year, and rode it often.

The fellow that owns this, bought it a year ago... has ridden it half a dozen times with supervision, but still doesn't have a motorcycle endorsement. He was shocked I was willing to ride it having never ridden a Goldwing before. I think he lost interest in it. It's a bit intimidating and I'm not sure what his experience level was before he bought it.

I put a call out to a local Veterans Club that rides together. I know some of them, but nothing back yet. While I may have some pride, I have no shame about asking for help. I'm a lifelong learner, as they say.

Well that's it. That's my "newcomer" howdy. This looks to be a very informative, even essential resource for me, and I look forward to hanging out here.

That is, if I survive the ride back from Snohomish tomorrow... lol.

EEK :United_States:

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
hello seattledan, welcome to GWOF. don't get yourself worked up about having to ride the wing home afterall its just another motorcycle. when i got my 1200 wing it was the first wing i ever owned and the ride home was about 50 miles but unlike you the front tire was bald and the rear tire was shot, there wasn't even wear bars in the tire. i didn't trust the tires enough to take the expressway and just making the left and right turns going home had the rear sliding around sort of like a low speed toyko drift. i though it was fun
check ebay for an owners manual

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA. Good luck with your Wing.

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from another Pa guy. Like the others said take some short ride there. Get a feel for it & then go on the ride home.

They are big machines but are managable. Just go easy & all should be well.

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under.
My story is much the same as yours in that I am a small bike rider up until the Goldwing. I know it is not going to help you right now but you will find yourself throwing that wing around within a couple of months.
I went to the goldwing for the passenger comfort to go touring with my wife.

·
Premium Member
16,686 Posts
Welcome SeattleDan, from just up the road in Sumas, Wa.
My guess is you'll be ride Hwy 2 back from Snohomish, depending on where you live in Seattle you might conceder Hwy203 south from Monroe, should be less traffic at least part of the way.
What year wing are you getting.
And some of the Washington members are having a Meet and Greet on June 21 in Winthrop. You're welcome to ride along.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Congratulations, Dan. Yor're in a fabulous part of the country for riding a wing.

Prior to my first wing was Yamaha TT500 dual purpose. And there were about 10 years between them. Within 5 miles, it was like I'd been born on a wing. They are that easy to ride. But there is one annoying problem.

If you've noticed our profiles, several of us have an IDMWT#. That's the "I Dropped My Wing Today" group. On a wing, you are most vunerable to falling when at a walking speed or slower. Coming to a stop, red light, stop sign, parking lot, whatever, if the front end is even slightly turned, you'll have 900+ pounds of momentum wanting to follow the line of the frame, trying to pass the front wheel.

So when you come to a stop, be lined up straight ahead. Its easy to forget. Most of us have. I think of it as a right of passage into GoldWingHood. Let's just hope it doesn't happen in front of all those veterans or when your stopping to pick up that incredible blonde hitchhiker.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
With the experience you've had in the past, I don't think you'll have any trouble with the Wing. As another member said, just make sure you have your front wheel straight at stops, and feather the throttle in 1st gear. You're going to really enjoy the way it handles.

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I went from a 400 to the 1200 Wing and didn't even blink an eye, and have never looked back.

If you're interested and have either a 1200 or 1500, I have owners manuals.

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the hearty welcome. This, is a lively forum. It had a Solenoid and plug meltdown and wouldn't start after the first stop on the way home. A friend came up and helped me unbugger it, MacGyver style, but I was flipping out. The rear tire is rotten and by rights, it should've been trailered. Alas, that wasn't in the budget. It looks pretty good for it's age. 86 1200 Interstate with 39k. Monday, the VA Pension arrives and we'll see if the initial maintenance puts me at the end of the local soup line.

Thanks again, ya'all

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PS - Reading your responses and viewing video tutorials online made riding it a lot simpler. I kept that front wheel straight at a stop or slow speeds. I counter-weighted with my body, leaning opposite the turn for a couple of U-turns. I must say, it's way smoother than any other bike I've owned. I have some arthritis, and my right shoulder is gone... totally toast, maintained with steroid injections.... but compared to a smaller, non-shaft driven bike, it's like sailing on a magic carpet compared to pogo-sticking on a jack-hammer.

I'll be in the maintenance section, scratching my A$$ and begging for help from now on.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A .PDF OWNER'S MANUAL AND/OR MAINT/REPAIR BIBLE?

:)

·
Premium Member
16,686 Posts
Dan: With a bad shoulder, you will need to learn the proper way to lift the wing should/when you drop it.
I sure somebody on here knows where the video is but till then.
1. DO NOT Bend over and try to lift it or squat to lift it. It is a heavy beast.
2. Put it in gear if you can or tie the front brake so when you are lift it it won't start to roll away from you, bad, very bad.
3. If it's on it's right side put the kick stand down, so you can rest it on the stand when you get it up. If it's on the left side you can put it down after you get it up.
4. BACk UP to the bike. Squat down facing away from the bike and get hold of the down side handle bar and the passenger hand grip on the down side of the seat.
5 Start the lift using your legs. Once it's up if you are on the left use your foot to put the side stand down.
If you're on the right side. Balance the bike while you turn to face the bike and lean it over onto the already down side stand.
It's really not the hard when done this way.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
PS - Reading your responses and viewing video tutorials online made riding it a lot simpler. I kept that front wheel straight at a stop or slow speeds. I counter-weighted with my body, leaning opposite the turn for a couple of U-turns. I must say, it's way smoother than any other bike I've owned. I have some arthritis, and my right shoulder is gone... totally toast, maintained with steroid injections.... but compared to a smaller, non-shaft driven bike, it's like sailing on a magic carpet compared to pogo-sticking on a jack-hammer.

I'll be in the maintenance section, scratching my A$$ and begging for help from now on.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A .PDF OWNER'S MANUAL AND/OR MAINT/REPAIR BIBLE?

:)
Go to the local dealership and buy a leftover manual for your model. Leastways, that's what I did for my '06.

·
Premium Member
24,510 Posts
Welcome to the site. You'll be just fine after some time on the Wing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.