Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some tough technical mechanical issues.....but pulling these carbs off are at the top of my list. I can't beleive what you have to wiggle around to get these things out. I have taken them all completely apart and they are filled with rust dust. I am going to have put new kits in them I feel at this point. It looks to me like someone has been inside these carbs before. I have found 1 broken bowl screw and the top plastic part that the aircleaner bolts to has all the screws stripped and someone put 4 bolts with nuts on them. So I guess they were stripped the 1st time they pulled them off. I guess I'll have to find someone local to sync tham and tune them in for me. I'm not quite that advanced. But I am sure the fuel filter needs to go and not sure about the pressure of the pump. It has alot of air with the gas from what I can tell. I have run sea foam through it and fresh gas and even out a couple gallons of racing fuel in it to help clear it out. I have replaced the plugs and it idles okay. But there is a good miss in it for sure. 1 of the cylinders isn't quite hitting right which I am hoping the carbs will straighten out. Lets hope so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This bike has sat for over 5 years now and I'm trying to get it back on the road again.Oldsdroptop :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I feel your pain. I couldn't even get the carbs out of the chassis on my '83 GL1100I without consulting a "How-To", confirming that I had to remove the top of #3 carb to remove the assembly. When I got them out and removed the 4th of the float bowls I was greeted with a "dry" carb. The float had been installed up-side-down, preventing any gas from filling that carb bowl. (Either that or the other three were in wrong) Hey, at least one carb wasn't varnished up! The "inventive" previous wrench had also substutited two too-thin O-rings and lots of RTV gasket maker for one of the proper sized O-rings to mate the intake elbow to the head. This thing may run once again....I hope.

Lynn

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you need to find out why all that rust dust got in the carbs. Have a good look in the gas tank to see if there is excessive rust. Also, for sure change the fuel filter, they are very inexpensive. As for the fuel pump, when I did some work on mine, I found a piece of metal lodged in the intake of mine. Don't know how it got there. Glad I found it though. Also the inside of the pump was quite dirty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the Bike running great now....:)

I understand why people love these bikes so much now. I've got mine running like a swiss watch now. Other than a nagging exhaust leak which I tracked down to a deteriorated asbestos gasket at the pipe union for the rear ehaust section. I made it easy on myself and lifted it with a couple of nylon straps and lifted the bike up about 3 and a half feet off the ground with a mobile engine hoist (I knew that thing was good for sump'in) and make it really easy to get a good eyeball on that exhaust and figure out exactly where the problem was. I can't believe I got this bike for $1000, I have tripled my money on it for sure. It even came with the stock helmets and dufflebags, I took out the CB a lil too 70's for my taste. The bike runs so smooth all the way to 80 it amazes me. I got a new tinted windsheild today and the chrome luggage racks for the saddlebags (they were a bit pitted so I got new ones) I am in the hunt for some georgous chrome valve covers for around 120 to 150. It does have a georgous new battery that is he gel type that came with it its around a year old. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress on this project till my wife refuses to let me buy any more parts for it. I couldn't be any more happier with it without a doubt. Oldsdroptop :cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chrome Valve covers for the 1200's are pretty reasonable. It's when you add the next two cylinders does it become outragous. I was bidding on a set of Chrome covers for my 1500 and I was out at 265 they went for something like 325-340?. I think Im going to find a set of Valkyrie covers an put on mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a gl1100 and i have had my carbs off several times for maint. ect. but you gotta pull the tank sides off totally remove the air box and pull the intake tubes off both sides and then its a matter of allot of temper management and have little hands and you almost gotta be a contortionist with a extra set of hands and they will pop right out with no problem

·
Registered
129 Posts
... and pull the intake tubes off both sides and then its a matter of allot of temper management ....
Actually they can come out with the intake tubes still being attached. The simplest way I found out is to unbolt the intakes from the heads, move the whole unit a little to the left, unscrew the air-cuttoff valve and the two upper vacuum cups on the right side and the whole unit comes right out easily. Putting it back in is the same process but in reverse.

BTW, the right of passage is when you can do it blindfolded.:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
The more you do it the easier it gets, at least thats what this bloke in a dress was trying to tell me but I think he talking about anal sex.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts