Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanna know what oil i can buy at walmart or autoparts store to use in my 84 aspencade 1200. Its gonna be the first change since i got the bike. Its got 55,000 and dont know what was used previously.

just give me an idea of something easy to buy but still get the job done well.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
If you are willing and it is advisable to switch to a " Synthetic " oil.... Get the SHELL ROTELLA 6T.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Anything that meets the standards in your owners manual will do the job. Read the label on the container match it to the standard.. Ride long and prosper...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I think he means it's just a good idea to use the synthetic as they are far superior to petroleum based oils. If you have to use oil anyway, why not use the best? Like Bob from Amsoil says "oil is the lifeblood of your engine, the filter is the kidney that keeps it clean"
If it's a handy supply thing, to purchase at Walmart or such, just use the best value for your buck as long as it is Jaso MA or MA2 for motorcycles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh id like to use a syn but worried i might have issues after who knows whats been in it. I did find an empty Honda bottle in the pass armrest storage. The GOLD bottle....

so most say use either full syn? semi syn? or std? seems everyone is different. I want the good stuff in the old girl as long as can find it when i walk into most auto parts/walmart..etc...... dont care if its syn or semi,etc..........

isnt there a page or spreadsheet with most brand oils listed for years of "wings".? oh by the way how much oil?

this is all new to me since i got no manual with the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
If you are unsure and not satisfied with current info, go buy honda oil. You are guaranteed safe until you decide to do something else.

If you are determined to go cheap, then the above mentioned is reasonable. Shell rotella T (blue bottle). I bikes have liked it, shifts smoother and quieter. I am going to amsoil, I am convinced it is better and requires fewer changes. But again, get what you need now, read later to make up your own mind.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
what do you mean if its advisable?........
Newer motors, both cars and motobikes are clear to go on " synthetic " oil. You are running a 1984 Aspy. I don't know for sure if the older engines liked " Synthetic " oils or they are happier with petroleum based oils. " Advisable " means I would wait from some other veteran Goldwing owner to support or chastise my comment. " Crede sed proba " ( Trust but verify ).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont really want to be cheap. I will say the closest Honda dealer is about 50 miles from here............

was waiting for more "chimes" on running synth in the older bike....

·
Registered
74 Posts
dont really want to be cheap. I will say the closest Honda dealer is about 50 miles from here............

was waiting for more "chimes" on running synth in the older bike....
That sounds like a good excuse to take an easy Saturday morning ride to me. ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i just wanna know what oil i can buy at walmart or autoparts store to use in my 84 aspencade 1200. Its gonna be the first change since i got the bike. Its got 55,000 and dont know what was used previously.

just give me an idea of something easy to buy but still get the job done well.
any 10w 40 oil for motorcycles will do, what brand is up to you

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I ran nothing but Golden Spectro 4 in my 1200 for seven years. Ran cooler, shifted smoother, the whole bit. If you want to do a switch, put in some petroleum based m/c oil and run the bike for 1000 miles or so, then dump it (that will flush away any worries you may have) and put in your ideal choice. As mentioned above, "choice" is the operative word. btw, the oil capacity of the 1200 is 3.4 quarts, but lots of mechanics put in the full 4 qts. I'd seriously try and obtain a service manual if I were you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts