Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 1100 gl with 31k miles.It has been in storage for several years. after diving it about 1500 miles it started leaking oil from a small round hole in the housing behind the water pump. Any ideas ?

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
My guess would be a dry/cracked seal, probably from sitting so long. Need to get in there and take a look. Never had a 1100 so maybe someone who has can chime in on how to do that.. Good luck and welcome to the forum from Pa..

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi jralph, that oil weep hole is telling you that very soon you will have oil in your coolant if you don't replace your waterpump. the job is very simple except for being messy. you can get a waterpump rebuild kit but from experience an age buy a new pump with o-rings and a new cover gasket. good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help

My guess would be a dry/cracked seal, probably from sitting so long. Need to get in there and take a look. Never had a 1100 so maybe someone who has can chime in on how to do that.. Good luck and welcome to the forum from Pa..
Thanks for the response guys, They are very helpful and gives me a place to start. The waterpump sounds doable even for me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Yep, had to do it on my 1200..

Buy a new pump.. for just over $100.00, you can't beat it..

This is a Don't wait, Do not pass Go on this or you will have to flush the system.

You need to change Anti-Freeze anyhow as it is only good for 2 years, but may be able to avoid flushing system.

Use a good quality anti-freeze, I sell 5 yr Extended Life, make sure it is Silicate Free and use ONLY Distilled Water. Not Drinking, Not Purified, Distilled.

Good isn't cheap
Cheap isn't good

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
2008 oil leak

I noticed an oil leak under my gl1800 ( about a cup) after a cold snap 20 F. It was in the seam of my Fram oil filter. Never seen this in any vehicle even @ -50 F.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Replace that filter immediately! Use a NAPA filter instead of Fram.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Fram filters are infamous for falling apart on the inside. IMO all they're good for is taget parctice with the .22.

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Fram filters are infamous for falling apart on the inside. IMO all they're good for is taget parctice with the .22.
I have found they work well for that purpose. Can also be used for other various calibers as well. I think its the orange color that makes them such good targets.
:shooting2:
:peashooter:
:shooting:
:snipersmilie:
:cannon:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Replace that filter immediately! Use a NAPA filter instead of Fram.
Fram is one of the biggest pieces of junk on the market.. Napa Gold 1358 is the same as a WIX 51358 as WIX manufactures them. Very Good Filters.

Only 3 filters I would buy, from the top down: AMSOIL, WIX, Mobil1

NEVER use a Pure One on a PowerSports application.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts