Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 GL1800 has started leaving quarter sized little pools of what appears to be engine oil on the mat that it is parked on. I couldn't see any oily spots on the bottom of the bike anywhere. So, I washed the bike to have a cleaner canvas to inspect. It got dark on me before I could look at it again. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a high percentage place I should be looking at? If its not pretty obvious and simple to repair, I will likely have to take it to a shop. I have a trip in a month and a lot of extra expenses right now, so it would be great if I could fix this myself. Looking for any hints that might help point me in the right direction. This really caught me by surprise. Oil leaks are not what the wing is noted for. I am running Amsoil 10/40 full synthetic. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
I'd start by looking at the oil filter and oil drain plug.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.They did look dry when I first checked. But I did change to a magnetic plug last oil fill. Maybe a little tightening is in order. I would love it if that's all that's needed. Two heads certainly are better than one. Sometimes the obvious eludes me. I have a neighbor that had a leak that required a new gasket somewhere hard to get to. We will see.

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
Don't over tighten the drain plug! They are a bi*** when stripped.

·
Premium Member
16,688 Posts
Which side of the bike is the spot showing up on. If it the left side it might be the seal around the shifting rod. I've fixed to leaks around the shifting rod by removing the shifting arm and using a 3/8 inch wooden dole. place one end on the metal part of the seal and gently tapping on the other end with a small hammer. Worked for me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looked again yesterday pm. No visible oily spots. The spots on the ground looked centerline for the most part. The drain plug was tight, but I did move it a bit tighter without stripping it. I have a clean deck now and will look for any more spots before moving the bike. The dipstick shows full and clean oil. Not much has leaked, but any at all has me concerned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts