Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped the goldwing off at the Honda dealership and it is the seal on the front fork leaking and not the seal on the gear shift lever.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm thinking that's a better scenario than the shifter seal.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
I'm thinking that's a better scenario than the shifter seal.
not really to change the shifter seal all you do is take the shift lever off and pop out the old seal the put the new seal on, seat it and reinstall the shift lever. fork seals are not that simple or quick and if you do one fork seal you may as well do the other

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I think the Buzzards right on this one. Had a friend help put new fork seals in my 1500 a few years. Took several hours. Shifter seal takes maybe an hour.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
What year Wing? Is it still under warranty??

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I believe he has an '08, C. My 08 ,purchased in Feb, 09 is up soon. Don't know if the wife will go for the $500 dollars extended warranty.
I have the extended warranty on mine. You might want to break into some of your "first holy communion" money you've been saving and get it online.. LOL:D:D

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Would the extended warranty cover fork seals?
I assume it would. I had one replaced on my 98 under extended warranty. Maybe the dealer just liked me because I'm such a nice guy...:D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Blown left fork seals on a GL with antidive is all too common. However, just because you have anti-dive does not mean that you will eventally have a blown fork seal. The anti-dive mechanism causes hydraulic lock when activated and the spike in pressure takes its toll on the fork seal, causing leakage. Mine blew the left fork seal at 5k. I disabled my anti-dive and love the new ride. Anti-dive is good in theory, but a bandage fix for weak fork springs/proper setup. A $20 spacer from Wingstuff will disable your anti-dive, resulting in much improved fork compliance under braking. I have helped several members from the 'other' forum make this change and all are 100% satisfied. Since you will have to have your fork seals replaced, you might as well change inner/outer bushings, seal, fluids, and dust seal replaced if you are 15k+. I definitely recommend a higher rate spring (determined by your weight). This actually will improve your ride compliance/control and help prevent your forks from bottoming, negating the need for the anti-dive mechanism. I just rebuilt my forks using the Race Tech Gold valve and emulator since everything was apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts