Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1980 GL1100 from someone that bought it from someone else about 8 months ago. As such, neither he nor I know what kind of oil is in it. Can I, or even should I, go with a synthetic oil? I would like to change the oil as soon as possible as I have no idea how old this oil is.

What weight oil should I use in my 1980 GL1100? I don't have an owners manual so I'm really not sure. I've not had a bike in about 15 years and back then I always used Castrol 10w40 automotive oil but I now understand that that is not the best oil for a bike as they have differing needs.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Spinsheet
your bike has a wet clutch --it is advised you use a oil, which does not contain friction modifiers
I use Rotella 15-40 in mine

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
castrol t4 m/c oil 10w 40

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also run the Rotella 15-40 in my 81 1100 I.
Haven't had a problem with it..
If you do a search here. You will find a load of reply's..LOL..
Steve

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
In answer to the OP.

You can use any oil, Petroleum or Synthetic, that meets the proper Specs which will be an API SG or SG/SH. A higher API such as SH or higher but Must then carry the JASO MA or MA2 Rating.

If you find a manual for that year, it most likely will say an SE oil. Forget trying to find that, SG and SH are Obsolete too but frequently used for M/C applications.

Use of a Premium M/C Specific oil is in your best interest. take a look at the M/C oil Tests in our Sig. Pick one of the top 3 finishers and you will be assured of a Great oil.

Ultimately, it is your bike and you can use whatever oil and filter you choose. But ask yourseld if it is it worth a few pennies to take a chance that you may have to replace the clutch?

For a filter, I would recommend a WIX 24940 or the OE Honda.

Oil is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts