Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my Owners manual for 1500 '98 se it calls for a piece of trim to be removed to access the filter to remove it.

I can access the filter with my hand and the bolts to be removed are not there. Is is just a error in the manual? If so where can I find a small enough strap type removal tool? My standard and small auto filter tools are too big to get a tight grab on the filter. do I have to go to Honda and if not how much $$ ?

Thanks, Dan

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I use a strap wrench on mine and it works fine. I used it on my 1500 also. You don't need to remove anything to get to the filter, The book says to remove the lower cowl but that is not necessary, some guys have made the opening in the lower cowl bigger to make it easier to get to the filter but I never had a problem. But a Honda and take it with you to an auto parts store and get a band filter wrench that fits it. The filters for the 1500 and 1800 Gold Wing are the same, get one from a dealer or order a pack of 3 or 10 from
http://www.directlineparts.com/search.asp and save money.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just a note...K&N filters have a nut on the end so you don't have to fight with the strap thingy....
You are right though, to get the original Honda filter off I had to buy a Honda tool...oh well, free enterprise!
Chrisgl1800

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took a filter to AutoZone and found a filter wrench that had an opening for a 3/8 socket wrench. It only cost about 5 dollars and works great.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My next filter will be the K & N with the nut on the end. I bought Honda filter wrench, and use Honda filters and I still have to use something between the wrench and the filter, (like a rag), for the wrench to fit. It isnt a big deal I'm just annoyed at Honda that this stuff doesnt fit better.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
This filter wrench will clamp tighter on your filter as you try to remove it. As the cans can be different depending on the manufacturer, it is a great tool to have for a few dollars more than a cap wrench that fits one specific filter and one only.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
My next filter will be the K & N with the nut on the end. I bought Honda filter wrench, and use Honda filters and I still have to use something between the wrench and the filter, (like a rag), for the wrench to fit. It isnt a big deal I'm just annoyed at Honda that this stuff doesnt fit better.
I don't think buying a filter just because it has a neat gizmo is the best way to choose a filter. That is all the K&N has as it does not hold contaminants very well.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
793 Posts
I bought a filter wrench with a narrow band that would fit between the cowl and the filter. Properly lubed gasket on the filter with the correct torque and most filters should spin off by hand or with a little help from a large channel lock plier. Or maybe I have strong hands from changing so many filters on the job!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I use the Honda filter wrench (I forget the part #) and have no problem with the Amsoil filter fit. The adjustable one that one of my wrenches lent me was a pain, but he likes it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Filter tool

I have an 08 and I also have the tool. It costs under twenty bucks and it makes the job a snap. My manual also calls for shields to be removed but that is nonsnse I can easily remove and replace the filter with all of the shields in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts