Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this at the bottom of another thread, but really think it is important for me to know what's what. So here it is....

Okay guys, another question.... I know that as long as the oil you use meets Honda specs, it will not void the warranty. It's easy to find out if the oil meets there specs, however, how do you know if the filter does? Is there some sort of numbering system? I am planning on doing all of my own service, and would hate for a warranty claim to be refused because I can't prove my aftermarket filter doesn't meet the specs. So, how can you tell???? Some filters say "Meet all OEM specs" but what are Honda specs?:confused:

I did a search of the forum but nothing came up to answer the question....

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Is this a trick question ? The " Owner's Manual " doesn't specify any specs for the filter, and neither does the " Service Manual " that I can find . I think the " covered under warranty " questions are to a great degree scenarios created in our own mind. Repair shops welcome all business, be it warranty or not. I use Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic oil that I buy from Wal-mart for about $21 a gallon, but purchase my filters from my local Honda shop here in Manassas. Va. Can I get a comparable filter from Wal-mart, sure. Do I do it for a " warranty " related concern, no. I just like to keep in personal touch with my local " warranty related " shop.

·
Registered
741 Posts
When in doubt, just use the Honda filter.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
after market filters or parts should say " meets or exceeds manufactures specs "

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Some members use Super Tech filters from Walmart. I believe in the oil change video that has been previously posted on the forum, that is what he used. I agree with William, if it meets or exceeds you should be fine.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Filter media is rated in microns to show what the smallest bit of foreign material they will indeed filter out. I have no idea what the rating of the stock Honda filters is/are, but the Amsoil filters I use are rated at 15 microns, the best on the market ASFAIK. More expensive yes, but my baby is worth every penny.;) Em, having said that, I wouldn't go with the chrome one again, ya cain't even sees the durn thang:eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
you know when i first saw the chrome oil filter for 1500 and 1800 wings i said to myself ( and i talk to myself alot :) ) whos gonna see it? ansewr: me, the next time i change it

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yes, but we have the satisfaction of knowing that it's there;)

·
Banned
8 Posts
Oil filter innards

Hello all,

I have been looking for information on filters for awhile now and found a site that might be of interest to those who use off brands verses OEM filters. The listed filters were cannibalized to inspect the quality of the manufacturing process. Pictures are included. Just click on the filter brand and compare the included info.
The study appears to be unbiased and thorough.
I did check with the dealer shown to see what I could buy the discounted filter for in quantity and discovered they were quite high on their pricing. I can buy local much cheaper.
Hope this helps in choosing a filter. It did for me.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i've used the oem filter
napa 1358 filter and
hiflo hf404 filter

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I think that most of the ones in the link are more than acceptable filters with the exception of the Fram one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts