Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my oil drain plug is seized up, I can't budge it, I used WD40, still won't move. The previous owner said oil needs to be changed, he said he would change it before I would pick it up, I looked at the oil site glass sure is dirty, don't think he drain oil because of seized up plug. Should I get my impact out and try with that. I sure don't want to break off plug. any suggestions? thanks Terp

·
Registered
606 Posts
... Howdy ... It's Gonna Have To Come Out Sooner Or Later ... The Rattle Gun Is The Best Bet ... Hopefully It Was Just Over Tightened And Not Cross Threaded ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
And you get a new drain plug didn't you?

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Don't forget to use a new crush washer too......

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
BTW, I know guys that used these in previous years. Watch out, they hang lower than the stock drain plug and can get kncked off inadvertantly. Driveways, road obstacles, and loading ramp angles (for you trailer types;)) can catch the unwary.:(

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
The service manual doesn't list the thread length for the plug. I'm not even sure if a parts manual would list the thread length either. Rather than pull the plug (no joke inteneded) again, try a Honda shop and see if they have one in stock in their parts department and they might be able to measure it for you.

·
Premium Member
23,792 Posts
Darn-it, I just did my first oil change about a week ago but I forgot to measure the threads on the factory drain plug. Does anyone have a service manual that might have this information? I would like to order one of these for my GL18...
Patience Lil Red : I'll get with a local Honda dealer here this weekend and pump them for the informatiom. In the meantime, put some miles on the oil if you can.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have another problem. The Green Wing had 150,000 miles on it when I got the bike. My first oil change I discovered someone had put a pipe plug in it for some reason. I has no leaks but I am about to change it again and will replace it with a valve. When I had the boat with a 260 hp in/out I replaced all of the coolant drain plugs with 1/4" radiator drain valves. Worked great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.