Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my oil drain plug is seized up, I can't budge it, I used WD40, still won't move. The previous owner said oil needs to be changed, he said he would change it before I would pick it up, I looked at the oil site glass sure is dirty, don't think he drain oil because of seized up plug. Should I get my impact out and try with that. I sure don't want to break off plug. any suggestions? thanks Terp

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... It's Gonna Have To Come Out Sooner Or Later ... The Rattle Gun Is The Best Bet ... Hopefully It Was Just Over Tightened And Not Cross Threaded ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ronzilla, I heated up the housing a little, it finally came lose. I was sweating bullets there awhile. thanks Terp

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
And you get a new drain plug didn't you?

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Don't forget to use a new crush washer too......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you know which one fits the 1800?
I don't own a GW (yet), but I relied on thread size when I was ordering for my Bandit. That's the only fool proof way if your vehicle is not listed on the site - take the plug off, measure the threads and compare to this list:

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=207

BTW, make sure to post here which one fits the GW (list model if threads differ between them). That will be one of the first aftermarket things I'll add to my GW when I eventually acquire one.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
BTW, I know guys that used these in previous years. Watch out, they hang lower than the stock drain plug and can get kncked off inadvertantly. Driveways, road obstacles, and loading ramp angles (for you trailer types;)) can catch the unwary.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
there is a product called break away ..... you spray it on rusted parts like 10w40 it's just better .. i just sold my 1972 cb750 chopper and it worked quite well on freeing up stubbern bolts

·
Registered
5 Posts
SureDrain

Another alternative to the standard oil drain plug. Considerably cheaper and lower profile than Fumoto valve:

The only down side of this one that I can see is that you can loose/misplace the drain hose or cap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick Oil Drain Plug - GL 1800

"BTW, I know guys that used these in previous years. Watch out, they hang lower than the stock drain plug and can get kncked off inadvertantly. Driveways, road obstacles, and loading ramp angles (for you trailer types) can catch the unwary."

I just changed the oil (for the first time) today on my newly purchased 2006 GL 1800 and the drain plug is on the forward end of the oil pan and does not extend below it. So at least on my bike that would not appear to be a problem. Now - has anyone actually used one of those quick-drain plugs? Which one and what size? The Fumoto site does not list motorcycles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quick Oil Change Plug

Why not just measure the thread on the OEM plugand pick the right one from this list?

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=207
1. I don't have the necessary measuring devices.
2. I am mechanically incompetent.
3. I just completed an oil change and am not ready for another one.
4. I would like to have the new plug available at the time of the next change without leaving the bike dry while ordering and awaiting delivery. :)

So - has anyone actually installed and used one of these?

TIA,

Poth

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm interested in one of these alternative drain plug methods as well but my bike is not quite ready for an oil change. It would be nice to have this before I do the 1st oil change on my bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil Drain Plug

Looks like Lil Red and I are the only ones who are serious about the alternative oil drain plug - or else those who already have it are not reading this thread. So we may end up being the pioneers for this device. Or Guinea Pigs. Or lab rats.

Poth
2006 GL1800 Titanium
2005 Boulevard C50

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
neat

Vlad, that little brass gizmo looks pretty slick.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts