Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 08 last week new to me. It has 62,000 miles I got it from a Hardley Dealer and I know they didn't do anything to the Bike So I am thinking about changing the oil and I don't know what was used in it before. I was told they come from the Factory with synthetic in it,but the manual didn't make me think that. I have also been told that if you go form synthetic to regular oil that it will cause leaks Not sure if this is true I don't think so but now I kind of need to know for sure before I muck up something.
Pete

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Switching back and forth from synthetic to " dinosaur " has never been recorded to have detrimental consequences. I've done both over the last three years and I'm still riding to tell about it. P.S. It did not come from the Honda factory with synthetic. You're talking to Harley fellows here. They don't know any oil type for their bike except that which has a Harley logo on it, whether it's synthetic or Dino.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
One of sponsors is Amsoil.....I love it!!!

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
All Honda powersport products come right from the factory with GN4 in the engines. As trike lady said, you can't go wrong with it, it's formulated by Honda to their specs regardless of who actually makes it. I prefer the Amsoil synthetic but that's my own choice. Synthetics do not 'cause' leaks in anything. If something leaks, the cause was already there!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks every for there input I think I'll start off with the honda gn4 and oem filter . I have to go to the dealer for stuff for my Yamaha and they also sell Honda's kinda like one stop shopping. Thanks all again for the input
Pete

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Let me know when you are ready for Synthetic. The Honda and the Yamaha will take the same oil and the Yammie will take the same filter if it is a Spin-on. Makes for a good package deal at unbeatable prices.

Thanks Ref and Budoka

Bob

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
My 2012 Goldwing still has GN4 oil in it and will continue using the Honda oil at least for the first couple of oil changes before switching to Amsoil full synthetic.

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
I use the Honda synthetic and Honda filter and have not had a problem. But there are other good oils out there from which to choose..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Either oil will be good but you DO NOT want to ever use a synthetic oil in any engine during the break-in period.I build very tight tolerence racing engines,all with hand filed fitted piston rings and the synthetic oil will not let new piston rings cut and seat properly due to it's 'slickness'. I have used both oils in all of my bikes and i can't honestly tell you one has been better than the other as long as you keep it changed when due.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Either oil will be good but you DO NOT want to ever use a synthetic oil in any engine during the break-in period.
That is only the case with machine shop engines.

You can change a factory engine over before it ever leaves the dealership.. Regardless of what the Dealer tells you and it will NOT void any warranty.

Bob

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Switching back and forth from synthetic to " dinosaur " has never been recorded to have detrimental consequences. I've done both over the last three years and I'm still riding to tell about it. P.S. It did not come from the Honda factory with synthetic. You're talking to Harley fellows here. They don't know any oil type for their bike except that which has a Harley logo on it, whether it's synthetic or Dino.
And I thought HD owners recycled the oil leaked on the floor....NO...oh well I was going to give them the Obama green award ! LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is there anything wrong with using the Wix or equivalent vs. the Honda filter? I'm sure the OEM filter is 2 to 3 times more expensive. I'm about to do my first oil change on mine. PO used Amsoil and gave me 4 quarts with the bike.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Wixx are great filters. They'd be my second choice after the Amsoil filter. Should be able to get them at your NAPA store I think.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My last 3 bikes were 2003, 2006, FJR 1300 Yamabanger, and now a 2010 1800. (All new when I bought them) I use plain oil the first 2 changes. Then nothing but synthetic. Both yamabangers had over 50K on them and my wing has 43K on it. No problems, and never had to add any between changes. I used mostly mobile 1.... Plain mobile 1, not the ones with additives. Never had a mechanical problem, and when I change the oil, it still looks good. (about 5000 miles) At autozone, they have a full synthetic for 4 stroke motorcycles, and have used that a few times. Can't tell the difference except at the check-out.

I know I could get more miles out of any synthetic oil, but when it starts turning darker, I get it out of there. During the winter I can get 8000 miles. During the southern summers though, driving 30 miles each way to work, it starts changing at about 5000. I will give amsoil a try when I can find it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Steve,

When you get ready, give us a call.

AMSOIL is well capable of 10,000 in your Wing. I have ran as far as 17,500 on my Wing and have customers that go well beyond that although not recommended without analysis.

On my Yamaha, it is once per year which is 6-8000 miles and the Harley is 10-11,000 miles. That is about all the life I can get on the Harley but it is used like a truck. I pull a loaded trailer (loaded with oil) and never pull the lowers off even in 100+ heat.

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.