Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got 2000 miles on a new 08 gl1800.The dealer and manual say wait untill 4000 to change out the "break in oil".Is this correct ? Seems like a long interval.Also I was told I should ghange to a syntheic oil at the next (first) oil change by a long time wing owner.Is this a good way to go ????????

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
First, welcome to the board. The Wing does not come with "break in" oil. It's just good old plain oil. I have an 09 and I'm planning to change the oil at 4k and every 8K or once a year which ever comes first. I used honda synthetic 10w30 for 11 years on my 98 GL1500 and I'm going to use the same on my 09 GL1800. Some guys run Amsoil, others Rotella, others Mobil 1, the list goes on. The important thing is that the oil meets motorcycle specifications. You can find the specs in your manual. Whatever oil you choose, make sue to change the filter as well.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I haven't even let my new cars and trucks go past 1000 miles on the initial service.

There is really no such thing as break-in any more. The initial service, usually done at 600-1000 miles is to get machining and casting debris out of the engine.

If you wish to switch to synthetic, you can do so at anytime..

Oil, is the Life Blood of your engine. The Oil Filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
your owners manual has the listings for maintinance in it

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Honda calls for first service at 4,000 miles but most will change at around 500 miles just to get any foreign material out of there. Honda says 4,000 miles so that is all that is required, I did my oil, filter and final drive at about 500 miles on my 08.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Follow manual recommeded schedule

I just did my first change on my 09. I to struggled with going 4000 miles on first oil but guess what the mortor didn't explode or any thing else bad.
Oil looked like it had 4000 miles on it, not extremely dirty. I was more concerned about rear diff. oil. very black and dirty. Replaced with Mobil1 gear lube.

Don't try to second guess the Engineers at Mother Honda, theve been building bikes for along time and have a exellent reputation.

Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I bought mine ( 2 weeks ago) the salesman and mechanic that I talked to at the dealership brought it to my attention. They both said whether I do it myself or bring it back, they personally would not wait for 4000 miles to change the oil and filter. They said they did there own between 600 and 1000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
opinion

As with tires,seats, and anything else we do to our toys, we all have opinions on whats best. And when in dought I follow manf. recommendations.
This drive train in the Wing is Bullet proof, not a high rever,hell I could put it in one of my tractors and it wouldn't miss a beat!
Bottom line do what makes you sleep well at night. get out and ride!
Tim

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
600 miles and change....

It gets the machining and casting debris out of the engine.

Oil, is the Life Blood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

We have Special Pricing on all AMSOIL Products for Forum Members.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Slightly off topic: A year ago, I switched my '99 GL1500 from Motul 10/40 to Amsoil 10/40. My mileage is consistently down about 10% now. I used to get 44-49mpg. Now I get 39-43. I maintain this bike well and can't think of what else would've caused the drop. I like the annual oil change though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts