Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
I prefer every 2500 miles.
Just think of all the components that 'Share' the oil; the engine, trans and clutch.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
AMSOIL every 5K

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
regardless to brand 5k. i'm using amsiol in the 1500 and mobile 1 m/c in the 1200 wing at the moment

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
5k or if I ride less than that once each year..

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
I've been doing mine every 3000

·
Registered
473 Posts
Follow the factory service schedule, Pro Care pays, dealer does it every 4K

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
With using AMSOIL and the AMSOIL filter, Minimum 8000 miles.... I actually go substantially further.

On the Yamaha, roughly 8000 as that is around 1 year, On the Harley, oil analysis has shown I am good at 10,000. The Harley is very hard on oil as it is an Ultra where I never pull the lowers, ride in 100+ heat and pull a 4x4 box trailer loaded with oil. I have had oil temps of 275 and the analysis came back OK.

The other thing is that the AMSOIL M/C oils are actually designed, that is right, designed, to not lose viscosity as other oils and will actually gain slightly. I would rather have an oil gain than shear out of grade.

Trike Lady, if we set you into AMSOIL 10W-40 along with our 103 filter, you would be good to 8-10,000 miles or 1 year.

Same with everyone else... 8-10,000 miles or 1 year... What a savings on your wallet, time and the Environment...

How many oil companies or, any company for that matter, build a product so you don't have to buy as much and helps you save money?

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a newbie to the Goldwing world. I have also been an Amsoil dealer since 96. Wont even think of using anything else. Previous owner said he used Castrol synthetic.

Owners manual says 10W30 or 10W40 for my 1500. I had only a few 10W40 on my shelf so I used 10W30. (wanted to make sure I had some to sell to customers before more arrived) I cant imagine it would really matter which one was used, but just curious what your experience has shown you. Would 10W40 be more appropriate?
The short time I drove it prior to the oil change may not have let me get used to it, but I swear, the engine seems quieter after going to Amsoil. I know from MY own experince, using Amsoil has led to some subtle improvements in every vehicle I have owned during the last 16 years. From engine smoothness, to increased mileage.
I filled the gas tank the day the oil was changed. I have used 13.368 gallons since and traveled 540 miles. That comes out to 40.39 mpg average. I have a mix of some all-highway miles and to and from work a distance of 2 miles. As well as some full throttle spurts thrown in for fun.
In one of my cars, I did a mileage comparison of before and after Amsoil. 2500mi before and after. My mileage went up by 1.4 mpg after switching engine, trans, and rear diff in a Mitsubishi Montero. At the time, gas was around 1.45 gallon. It would take about 15,000mi to recoup the costs of the changeover. With gas around $3, obviously, half the distance would be required now. I dont know if the same kind of increase can be noticed on a motorcycle or not. I drove it for about 500 miles before changing it over.

Also, can I use severe gear 75W140 in the Goldwing rear end? Amsoil site does not give a recommendation for this.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If riding 1 up 10W-30 will be fine. Two up, towing, triked or any combination would be MCF 10W-40.

AGL 80W-90 is the recommended lube but I use SVG 75W-90 as I usually have a tendency to go Better than required.

SVO 75W-140 is way too heavy. It will cause a loss of HP and Fuel Mileage.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
What part number for oil filter?

I need to do an oil change. I want to do this one. My Honda Dealer did the last one. I'm looking for the Fram, ??? after market part number of the filter. Honda wants $14.95 for a filter. Also, what weight of oil? 20-50? What aftermarket oil filter do other guys (gals) use?

Thanks much
Locknut:D

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I would not recommend a Fram filter. They are arguably one of the worst filters on the market. Top 3 from The Best down would be AMSOIL EAOM-103, WIX 51358 which is also the NAPA Gold 1358, and the Purolator ML Series. If anyone tells you that you can run a Pure One, they are dead wrong.

K&N and Mobil 1 are the same filters and I don't think very much of either of them. Use a Motorcycle Specific oil. Regardless of what anyone says, there IS a difference.

If your choice is a True Synthetic, the Top 3 from The Best down are AMSOIL MCT for 10W-30 or MCF for 10W-40, Mobil 1 Racing 4T and Motul 300V 10W-40.

Send me an email if you would like a quote on AMSOIL at Forum Member Pricing dropped on your door.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
I called Bob on Friday and got my AMSOIL yesterday. I could go to my local shop and pick some up.....of course I will pay more and use gas to pick it up. Just makes sense to me to CALL BOB!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
I got mine from Bob also , please support Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thank you for the kind remarks and thank you very much for your patronage.

In todays economic climate, I still find places that don't seem to be greatful for the business which they do get.

I look for a win-win. I give my customers The Best prices, Service and Information possible for their Win. The win on my end is being able to help people and have repeat customers.

I want you to know that I appreciate every one of you! Not just the people that purchase from me but, others as well who confide in me to give them the proper information.

You all have a GREAT DAY!!!

Bob

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I love people with those "INSANE" miles..

As long as you use the AMSOIL filter, I recommend Minimum 10.000 mile oil changes. I go 16K (or so :) ) on my Wing and I have customers who are pumpin Hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles and they are going even further than I do.

It's all in the additive packs.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.