Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in New Hampshire. My mechanic recommends an oil change in the fall or right before you put it away for the winter. He doesn't like the bike sitting with the old oil for months. I followed his advice for the first year in '08. However, I have been putting the bike away with the old oil for the winter and then first thing in Spring I have the oil changed. I usually find a day here and there to ride during winter anyway. What do you guys say about this? Does it really matter? It probably is better his way. But, the way I am I would change it in the fall and Spring. I think that's probably over kill. :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I alway change the oil before putting the bike up for the winter. Gets rid of acids that accumulate between changes.
See Thread on Storage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winter's coming

Thanks Ron. I should have said I read the post on storage. I don't think I would need the fogging treatment because I'm not one of those guys who put it away in someone's storage place. It's right in my garage and its very easy to take it for an occasional spin.

I do think I will change my routine and change the oil before winter and when I take it out I'm good for the summer.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i have never changed oil on any bike before winter storage. some do and some don't change oil before winter storage

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
For years I alway did my oil change in spring. For the last few years I've been following the rule of doing it just before I put it away for hibernation. I don't bother doing another one in spring until I need it.
I top off the tank and put stabelizer into it and run it for a few blocks to make sure it's in the carbs. then I centre stand it and put a small block under the engine block to just raise the front tire off on the ground. I cover the baby and put on the trickle charger. Spring time I'm good to go.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time for an oil change

I do the same with the stabil and trickle charge Badrider. I also have a matt to cover the cement garage floor to put my bike on. I park on a matt all year.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I alway change the oil before putting the bike up for the winter. Gets rid of acids that accumulate between changes.
See Thread on Storage.
X2
The bearings(rod and crank) don't like the acids in the oil caused by the combustion process.That and any contaminates that are in the oil will have time to settle into places that you don't want it and will be hard to flush out.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
IMO-while that may have been true back in the day of leaded fuels-I do not think it applies today!
I change oil(Mobile 1 T 4) at 8K intervals, whenever that occurs. Due to health issues, at one time, that has been as long as 2years! No adverse effects!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts