Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In honor of Eric the Hoon, I took the beloved Wing on one of my favorite motorcycle dirt roads this Monday. Redwoods, ferns, ocean, and hazards! However, no big rigs pulling a multitude of trailers. The CT traction is fantastic. Wherein the MT would slip'n slide everywhere, the CT just stays planted with plenty of grip for acceleration and braking. Weather started off in the mid 30's and warmed to 68 degrees. Great riding weather but I'm afraid to say it but I think we are in a drought year.

·
Super Moderator
9,880 Posts
I hope that road was "one way" because there did not seem to be room for two vehicles to pass each other.. Great road though. Thanks for the tour...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a two way road. I've had my fair share of close calls there with 4x4's.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
The rock strewn sections gave me pause, great work handling that GL "adventure" model!:D So even with your upgrades, you still bottomed the suspension...must have been a bit rougher than what the vid portrays? I could barely hear the clunks over the background, but got some good views of the forks doing their thing.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
WOW dude what are you going to show us next? "Dookoo does Super Cross and watch the back flip at the end"." You can see how that 800lb plus girl doesnt like to be upside down and that suspension really takes a beating when he sticks the landing!! You are freaking crazy :eek:

Thanks for showing us (things I cant and wont do :D ) Be safe.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rock strewn sections gave me pause, great work handling that GL "adventure" model!:D So even with your upgrades, you still bottomed the suspension...must have been a bit rougher than what the vid portrays? I could barely hear the clunks over the background, but got some good views of the forks doing their thing.
That section caught me by surprise because you're right, it didn't look bad at all. The bottoming is a solid 'clunk', not the clicking noises. The clicking noises are the camera mount, I think:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Stylin' like Eric.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
That was pretty awesome, I'll live through your camera lens. I don't think my dressed up 1500 would make it without half the crap falling off of it. ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was pretty awesome, I'll live through your camera lens. I don't think my dressed up 1500 would make it without half the crap falling off of it. ;)
I know what you mean. I heard so much stuff rattling that I was about to turn around. Soon enough, I was having so much fun that I didnt notice.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Dookoo you put your Wing in places I wouldn't go, unless I was lost.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Sometimes, you have no choice but to forge ahead. Dookoo's wise in a way, doing it on a lark. You never know when you might just have to soldier through something like that and the experience is invaluable.;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sometimes, you have no choice but to forge ahead. Dookoo's wise in a way, doing it on a lark. You never know when you might just have to soldier through something like that and the experience is invaluable.;)
To put things in perspective, this is a road I've travelled several times. In the rain season I wouldn't even think of it unless I was on an enduro or dirt bike. My expertise is motocross so riding on dirt is second nature. I did want to see how the CT's performed vs the MT as well as pushing my new suspension. The suspension worked very well but the fork seal blew. This didn't surprise me since the Wing has 13k miles on the seals and having been reused 2 times while having the forks apart. They were ready to fail regardless. Now I'm going to try stiffer 1.2 mm/kg springs up front with 20wt in the rebound and 15wt in the compression side (previously 15/10).

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
WOW NICE very NICE

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Sent shivers up my spine!

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
I log onto GWOF and I see something about a goldwing vid on the dirt. I think to myself, I have to see that. I was in such a rush to see it that I hadn't even seen who posted it. When it came up I thought to myself, yes it would have to be Dookoo. When you relate to how a photo tames down how bad a road is. I think the vid would do the same. I still laugh at the time I was still exploreing just where you could take the wing and I had Vanessa on the back and the track was a bit loose on top but firm under that. Well all was going well until I came to a corner with sand. I chickened out a bit and backed the power off and she dug into the sand and we took off straight into the scrub. Well I grabed some power which you should do in sand and keeped her going as we bounced over clumps of grass and a small bush and got it back on to the road. Here I was thinking what a great job I had done by staying upright and even getting it back on the road. Now my back seat passenger was not as impressed as I was. Because the instant that we were back on the straight and narrow so as to speak, a big right hander hit my shoulder. They can be a strange creature sometimes. Yes we were out of control but I was doing my best getting it back. And for my effort I copped it. Thanks for the vid. Eric

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
The passenger never appreciates the lengths we go to and the skills we have to master do they?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
Since they peeled my road....I ride that every day. I still don't like it!!! Some of my riding friends make me meet them to keep them from having to ride it. I will say you have some shoulderless areas I would fear!!!:eek:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts