Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I am ordering the color matched OEM spoiler. Is there anything else required for installation or does everything I need come with the spoiler? is it an easy install??

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just could not bring myself to drill holes in the trunk so i had local shop fit mine, it did come with all the gear & template though so if your that confident in what your doing it would be fairly straight forward, i also bought the running/brake/turn replacement LED so when the spoiler arrived i took the standard LED out and installed the other (two screws, threaded harness through the spoiler! took down to shop for them to install. For them to wire it in is a WHOLE different post/thread as our Aussie bike has different wiring to US bike!!! but all looks a treat now though!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Package should come with everything to connect. Make sure you use a new sharp drill bit and go slow and you should be fine. Make sure it's tight, but don't over tighten..

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hi... I am ordering the color matched OEM spoiler. Is there anything else required for installation or does everything I need come with the spoiler? is it an easy install??
Thanks
Save yourself a bunch :http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GL18...7676799QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
That's just an example. He has all colors and they are a nice piece.
No need to take out a loan to buy a Honda part

Some suggest the addition of " star washers ". They are fancy fender washers the spreads the load of the contact point of the four mounting posts to the trunk.
The OP is talking about a spoiler, not a luggage rack. You can not put and don't need star washers under an OEM or clone spoiler!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Drill holes

How to you know where to drill the holes since the holes of the spoiler are on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
How to you know where to drill the holes since the holes of the spoiler are on the bottom.
Spoiler should come with a template that will locate the holes for you.
When you remove the inner trunk lid panel, look close. You will find the areas to drill are also "marked" on the inside of the trunk lid. The template will aid you in locating those marks.
Some hints:
1. Put a strip of wide masking tape on the inside of the lid where you can mark the holes, using the template provided.
2. Use a "small drill" for a pilot hole first.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
The OP is talking about a spoiler, not a luggage rack. You can not put and don't need star washers under an OEM or clone spoiler![/QUOTE]

Thanks for catching that. I read it but still had a luggage rack on my mind, obviously. I'll delete it. Careful reading is a civic duty.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know chopin114... you were testing me to see if I was paying attention huh?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
spoiler

But I purchased one from ebay and it doesn't have all of the things for setting a hole pattern...so how do I do it now?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
As mentioned, the inner side of the trunk has the hole locations marked under the trunk liner panel. Drill a small pilot hole first, and then put masking tape over the finished side and drill out the correct size from there. That will keep the paint fromm chipping or peeling.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Budoka, I looked closely on the inside of the lid and don't see any marks that looks like they would line up. I do see some small circles but don't think they would line up with the spoiler. Are the small circles what you are talking about?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The marks on my inside trunk lid ('09 model) were either circles or + marks or a circle with a + in it, I'm sorry but I can't remember exactly (dogone k.r.a.f.t. disease anyway) If you are not sure, you can take some fairly wide masking tape and put it on the outside of the lid (line up the spoiler for position first so you have an idea where the mounts will sit) and put a dab of water-based paint or something equally harmless on the mounting posts, and carefully set the spoiler down on the tape. This will leave a mark on the proper spot to drill for the mounting screws. I used tape when driling anyway to prevent the paint on the trunk from chipping. Do a small pilot hole first. I think there are others that have done this install themselves, and maybe their memory of the job is better than mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Golddigger: It looks like you are riding a 1500, I'm not sure they are marked, might be, I just not sure , if not let me know and I'll post how I did mine many years ago. It's a little lengthy but it worked well for me.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts