Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've been looking at 2010 wings and what I want on it some questions have come up:

1. Are the speedometers accurate on wings or are they off by the typical 10% like other hondas (like my 1300 where the faster you go the more its off, the mental adjustment has gotten to be such a habit I find myself doing it the wifes car)

2. Do wings come with a 12v aux plug (aka cig. lighter) or does it need to be added?

3. Comments on headsets for intercom or not, one reason for getting the wing is for wife to go on trips with me, might be nice to pretend I didn't hear her sometimes, I'm used to riding solo.

4. Any accessory that turned out to be a waste of $ or any you wish you had?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
1. My speedo is off. Some say a different size tire corrects this. 2. Aux plugs are added as far as I have ever seen. Might be a good " Deal or no Deal " maker with the salesman. 3. I'm in the market for headsets. It brings the music closer. 4. I wish I had numbers 2 and 3. We'll get them.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
1st welcome to the GWOF. 2nd I'm not an 1800 guy but I'll do my best to answer.

As I've been looking at 2010 wings and what I want on it some questions have come up:

1. Are the speedometers accurate on wings or are they off by the typical 10% like other hondas (like my 1300 where the faster you go the more its off, the mental adjustment has gotten to be such a habit I find myself doing it the wifes car)

I hear that they aren't. But I also hear that some guys change the size of the tires when they need them of course & it corrects it.

2. Do wings come with a 12v aux plug (aka cig. lighter) or does it need to be added?

As far as I know they do not come with aux plug. Wingstuff can fix that

3. Comments on headsets for intercom or not, one reason for getting the wing is for wife to go on trips with me, might be nice to pretend I didn't hear her sometimes, I'm used to riding solo.

Although you may be a solo guy Get the headsets. To just be able to chat with the wife only adds to the joy of riding. I have a funny situation occurs with us. If we are driving in a cage. My little lady can talk the ear off a deaf mute. There have actually been times when I tell her "Take a break will you, Your hurting my head."
Put her on the 1500 & I have to ask every 100 miles or so "Are you still back there?" I actually talk more to her . She calls the ride her "Zen time" So my point is get headsets enjoy the ability to just ask simple questions like "Are you getting hungry." & you will love it.

I've added loads of things. All for function or comfort. Not a big Chrome goodie guy. I would have to say that of all the add ons the one that really wasn't worth the money was the -Passenger Transformer Boards. The idea of them is to have a flip up portion to create a highway peg style postion for your pillion. What it did for my Little Lady was it put her legs at a very akward angle so suffice to say although they are very good boards (Kury) she doesn't use the flip up section. As far as the wishlist goes I'm done unless something new comes out.

Tops on the list though are:
Highway Pegs
Drivers Backrest
Xtall Windshield
Iso-Grips
& many more.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
hello meach, welcome to GWOF. i got headsets for my helmets ( a ff and an of ) so the world doesn't have to listen to frank zappa :), the gf rides her own wing

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

Speedo's have been corrected-Your 2010 should be OK.

No, you will have to add one.

I-com mics are live all the time on a Wing. MicMutes are almost a must have to kill the noise in the headsets when the I-com is on.
As far as headsets go-I have always used J&M's top of the line. Only had 1 mic failure in 12 years.

Kuryakyn chrome on their luggage racks and on their rider floor boards seems to be very poor.
Ended up w/taller, wider windshield, Baker hand wings and upper/lower air wings to stop the buffeting of my wife.
Motorman55 rear spoiler(1/2 the price of the Honda) is a good looking safety addition.
Grip puppies are great.
Utopia rider back rest.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Looks like you got most of your questions answered. I'll just chime in that my speedometer on my 2010 is right on with the gps.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My speedo on my '09 is a tad on the optomistic side. I was registering 125 kph and got stopped, and the RCMP told me he radared me at 118k. Thankfully he just told me to ease up a bit. as for add-ons, I'm a fan of the Utopia backrest and LED (Hondaline)driving lights, neither of which I have but want big time. I agree with all that have been mentioned above.
BTW, welcome to GWOF, If you get a chance post a howdy in the new members section and tell us a bit about yourself, and maybe a pic of your scoot when you get it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to our forum. I hope all your questions were answered. I do have one item in the what to add....I would like a CB, but the built ins are just too expensive for me. :( But I will get one some time....
Again, I am glad you found us.......

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

In 09 Honda corrected the speedo

Under the left fairing pocket and in the trunk lid there is a connection that yoiu can hook one up.You just need to buy the plug but it's wired for it.

everything is there for the intercom, you just need to buy the headset.

Any accessory that turned out to be a waste of $ or any you wish you had?
must have accessories are backrest & highway pegs, all others are just "SAFTEY CHROME"

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Looks like everyone has your questions covered. As an FYI, my 09 registers 1 mph fast at 70mph compared to my GPS. So for my money, it's right on...

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I would definitely go for the head sets, maybe J&M's, also the mic mutes, really nice to keep road noise out of the head sets. The CB's are way expensive, but are also really nice if you wind up with a bunch of other wings. I don't chat much on the CB but do use it to pass on road conditions, up coming turns, points of interest, exct.
Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the ride.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input, I already knew some things I wanted based on travels on my 1300 and then Ive been showing my wife different options and accessories to suit her and letting her pick what she wants. So we're at the dealer and another couple are looking at wings and I overhear her asking him where the VCR was located (she meant CD player) but I could just see my wife wanting to bring her portable DVD player and watching movies on long trips, what ever keeps her happy. So here is my list of add ons for now:
1. Highway pegs
2. backrest
3. foglamps
4. passenger arm rests w/ cup holder
5. trunk rack (for putting extra gear and stuff when we camp)
6. DC plug
7. head sets
8. also maybe spoiler w/ brake light

other stuff will probably be added along the way as we tweak things.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Thanks for all the input, I already knew some things I wanted based on travels on my 1300 and then Ive been showing my wife different options and accessories to suit her and letting her pick what she wants. So we're at the dealer and another couple are looking at wings and I overhear her asking him where the VCR was located (she meant CD player) but I could just see my wife wanting to bring her portable DVD player and watching movies on long trips, what ever keeps her happy. So here is my list of add ons for now:
1. Highway pegs
2. backrest
3. foglamps
4. passenger arm rests w/ cup holder
5. trunk rack (for putting extra gear and stuff when we camp)
6. DC plug
7. head sets
8. also maybe spoiler w/ brake light

other stuff will probably be added along the way as we tweak things.
Nice list of priorities. Take care of yourself first as you will be doing all the work. Coming off a VTX she will be immensely happy with the back seat ride without any additions at first. P.S. Get some " Hand Wings " , they mount below the mirrors. Airflow on the backseat rider will greatly improve with this first addition.

·
Registered
219 Posts
First off welcome to the forum. The list you have compiled is basically correct, what i would add to it and trust me on this, especially if you tend to bring along the wife is a Rat Pak bag. I don't care what anyone says the wife will take up 7/8 of your storage space and you wont have enough room to bring your underwear. Don't forget the shopping she will do also. Trust me i know i've been there. I have a picture of it on another thread about gps

·
Registered
168 Posts
NO to the Aux Plug. You can buy one made for the wing and install it is a couple of different places.

One other thing to be aware of...

If you want ABS, the only way to get it is to buy the navigation and satellite radio optiion. About $4k more than the base model. I almost took mine back because I mentioned to the sales person at the dealership I had ABS on my last bike, and really didn't want a bike without it, but I didn't want the navigation, and they didn't tell me I couldn't get ABS without it. They just sold me the base model and I found out later it didn't have ABS.

I have had my 2010 for 6 months, and have close to 12,000 miles on it. I sure love it. Hopefully I won't regret nt having ABS:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts