Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, How many carbs on a 1500 1996 goldwing? Went to look at one tonight and it stumbles pretty good coming off idle. gas is very old. revs good once the stumble clears any thoughts? Oh I put some stabil in the gas and was going to ride it to the gas station and add fresh gas but was leery of the stumble.Makes it tricky to ride. thanks Kevin

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
It has 2.
You may want to run a couple of ounces of Sea-foam or any product for cleaning the fuel system. The carbs may have some debris in the jets.
A good carb sync helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks trike lady I am considering buying this bike I have rebuilt the carbs on my honda magna and could probably do these

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm in the same boat, seems like a common issue on these bikes and even when they haven't been sitting there's an off idle stumble. I'll be getting into that for my first "to do" as I HATE bad carburetion, there's no excuse for it.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Had that happen to a customer a couple years back, the jets on the left side were plugged almost completely.Cleaned and sync'd both sides and she runs like a charm

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had that happen to a customer a couple years back, the jets on the left side were plugged almost completely.Cleaned and sync'd both sides and she runs like a charm
I suspect I have a restricted/plugged pilot jet, which is most likely the OP's issue as well. Mine is certainly a lean off idle bog, indicative of a lean 1/4 throttle issue. I'm sure its a result of this damn ethanol in our gas, wreaking havoc with everyone's OHV toys.

How hard is it to sync. these carbs?

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
If you go to the Steve Saunders goldwing site he has a step by step procedure for doing it. Went to the sight to get the link but site down for upgrades.

www.goldwingfacts.com

·
Registered
363 Posts
Be thankful that it only has 2 carbs. My previous 97 Valkyrie had 6. Talk about an expensive maintenance fee when they all had to be cleaned due to the ethanol crap gumming up the jets because I didn't ride her often enough. From that point on, I've used StarTron fuel treatment in all my engines. It was highly recommended by my dealer. So far,, no issues!

·
Registered
184 Posts
It definatly will take getting used to..she will take a few miutes to warm up,,you mite have to use a lil choke when you first take off..havent had mine long I was stalling it quite a bit.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It definatly will take getting used to..she will take a few miutes to warm up,,you mite have to use a lil choke when you first take off..havent had mine long I was stalling it quite a bit.
I always had to use my choke when first starting the Valkyrie. If she was already fully warmed up from a ride, then the choke wasn't necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts