Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 85 interstate 29k original miles just tuned up been running great then other day after sitting a couple day started it up warmed up fine went down the road and it just shut of and back fired started right back up and did it again but only when i tried to take off again after the second time it ran fine all day rode about 2 hours then smae senerio about 3 days later after 2 stalls run fine all day what should i start looking at going to be leaving soon for tennessee dont want any issues. i have had all the recomended maintnance done but dont know what could be causing this broblem ...please help [email protected] :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Almost sounds like a choke is sticking open. Maybe someone who knows more about the 1200 can help..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know your bike but something you might check since it is an 85 model is your fuel hose. Some times when they get old they break down on the inside and you end up with a flap that will stop the fuel flow. Not too common but it does happen and can be very hard to find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thanks all but i think i might have figured it out i was checking out the fuel pump which was covered with a chrome cover , anyway the hose from tank was wet so i took it off and it was barley on i mean by a thread and the clamp was not even on the hose so i think it might have been sucking air so i fixed it going for ride in morning will keep you informed thanks again

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hows the fuel filter, has the crankcase breather been drained

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brand new filter and drained breather today going to try it tomorrow first thing in morning ...thanks for all the help ...:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well bad news i thought it stopped but still doing it went out thismorning and even after riding a bit it just quit ... for no reason started backup and finished ride ... now i have changed fuel filter and fuel lines new tune up new gas fuel cleaner ...so any suggestions could it be that stator issue i keep reading about or does any oneknow of a shop in central florida that works on older gold wing every one keeps telling me they dont work on bikes over 10 years old please help

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
if the battery is charging it wouldn't be the stator causing this. a bad stator will leave you with a dead battery, it wouldn't have restarted for you without recharging the battery. but check all the cables from the battery and make sure none are loose

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will start again by saying that I don't know your bike but again since it is an 85 model you may have some worn switches or worn insulation or bad connections. The next thing I would do is to bypass the kill switch and tilt over switch it it has one. If this solves your problem you can then isolate and repair the problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i did clean and check the kill switch didnt find any problem there, batterycables were tightand charging fine acorning to guage . when this happens it does back fire when it stalls ,does that mean its a loss in spark or ignition ?im not sure im pulling my hair out im going to check electric connnections next what are yourthoughts on fuel pump ?can they be intermiten like that for a brief second ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fuel pumps can get expensive so before I went that route I would find a qualified mechanic and at least do a fuel flow test. The honda dealer may not work on older machines but I would go there and talk to one of the mechanics and I'll bet there is one that does work at home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok all i think its getting worse i have no clue today went for ride and rode for about 45 min stopped at flea market walked around for about 30 min when came out would not start seemed like no spark not sure ...seemed like it was back fireing a little then it started took off down road it stalled started back up and stalled again kept back fireing runnig real crappy backfiring and then straightend right up and ran fine rest of way home not sure if its electrical ora fuel problem now dont know what tochecknext i stink at diagnosing electrical ...please anyone hadsomeof same symptoms

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi check the main fuse block by the battery. should have the wish bone fuse, look at the wiring harness coming out. mine had some burnt wiring replaced with new working fine now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok will do . does any one know where the fule pump relay is or if the pump is supose to make a clicking sound when on im wondering about that or if the relay could need rel=placed if cant figure this out soon itsthe scrap pile i guess lol no shops will touch it ...

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey blsemt do you have a shop manual for your bike? i will look at mine in the morning to see if i can see anything under the trouble shooting section. will put a post on if i find something. any small shops in your area that works on bikes? dont get bumbed out :)

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
ok will do . does any one know where the fule pump relay is or if the pump is supose to make a clicking sound when on im wondering about that or if the relay could need rel=placed if cant figure this out soon itsthe scrap pile i guess lol no shops will touch it ...
To try and see if it's a spark problem, carry a spare plug and when it dies pull one plug leed off and put it on the spare plug resting it on the motor and crank it over to see if you have good spark. If you have spark start looking at your gas. Don't spill gas on a hot engine when trying to see if there is gas to the carbies. There can be something in you tank stopping the free flow of gas. Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok will do i did everything in the troubleshooting section with no luck just as soon as i think i got it fixed it starts again .... i am going to drain the tank and check it at pet cock anyone know if the fuel pump is supose to click or not ... oh also installed a 5 pound hammer inside case for future testing thanks eric

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi blsemt, your problem is a familiar one. the pulse coils located behind the timing belts are about to die forever. you can do a ohm test both cold an than hot but past history tells me they are bad. about $125.00 part. requires accessing the timing belt covers. also a good time to replace timing belts with some inexpensive aftermarket ones. good luck frank

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey thanks so much frank i hope your right i am at my witts end and have no hair left the previous ownwer said he just had bets changed but i sure hope thats it im so exausted in tring to figure this out . ok well off to parts house ....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts