Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with temps in the 40's today, I decided to take the old girl out for a ride. I have had a battery tendor on it for the last couple of months. Battery tendor is brand new, so I am sure thats not the problem. Anyways, turned the key, hit the switch, and it turned over 1 time, and then nothing! Anyone have any ideas? And here I thought I was going to get to go for a ride in February! Thats un heard of in Minnesota.

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
make sure your battery cables are tight, clean off the terminals. make sure there is water in the battery and it at the full mark. take it to an auto parts store and have it tested

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
Clean that ground cable. If that works take it for a ride. If it doesn't work, wait for the next comment.

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
make sure the ground wire has not come loose on the engine, make sure the wires on the solinoid are not loose and check your fuses

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
If it is a 1500 and the battery is in fact Good. I could be that Solenoid A is sticking. It is the large Relay/solenoid to the right of the battery under the front side cover. It is activated by relay number 6 in the fuse relay box, on the left side.

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
Tech guys. Never had or used a battery tender. Is it possible to believe that it is taking care of the battery when in fact it is doing nothing but look like it's charging the battery ?

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Don't assume battery tender is good and charging. Everything is subject to failure. Try another charger if you have one. Work backwards from the wall outlet, the extension cord is plugged into. Is the outlet energized, the extension cord functional, the battery tender good, the battery terminals corroded etc? Good luck friend. Doesn't sound serious so it won't be long and another pretty day will come up and you'll be grinning when that baby fires up and you're pulling up the kickstand.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Lee, great minds think alike as we were posting at the same time the same advice.

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
The tender I have has indicator lights to show when it's charging and when it has come up to full charge. But that's only mine can't speak for other models.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tender I have has indicator lights to show when it's charging and when it has come up to full charge. But that's only mine can't speak for other models.
Mine does too. Is it possible that my battery is just just bad?? I bought the bike last spring, and I dont have any idea how old the battery is. The bike is an 85 Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
Not sure about that. I'd pull the battery and have it load tested.. Once we're sure the battery is good we can go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I had mine on a tender for two weeks and last week i went to start it and it turned - over a couple times and died . I checked the cord at the wall plug and it was unplugged ! I don't think you have a problem !

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
Big Daddy, yes it is possible that the battery is need of replacement but as others have indicated test it 1st. I would pull the battery, fully charge it, test it & see what's up as Ron said. Like Santini said you may not have any problem.

Is it possible to believe that it is taking care of the battery when in fact it is doing nothing but look like it's charging the battery ?
How can I put this so even the Maestro gets it. I know.

Is a Bullfrog waterproof? A tender is another Mechanical device & we all know they work great right up until the time they don't. However if they do stop working the lights & such will probably also stop working.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Our Battery Tender Jr.
Will blink Red if it's not hook up properly.
Will Blink Red if it's not hook up at all.
Will stay on Red if it is charging correctly.
Will Go to Green when it hit's that " Full & Correct" Charge.
Will Blink Green when it got a few decimals over Full. ( Which the only time this happens is when you run a vehicle / equipment and as soon as you shut it down, hook up the Tender Jr., and it will go to regular Green in a few moments.
Will not show anything if it is not working or plugged up.

My question is: What color was the light when you disconnected it from your machine ?

I had a seven year old battery go bad on piece of equipment. Then hint was, Battery charger would never go to Green, just stayed on Red ALL the time. Removed battery, checked, BAD BATTERY.
My suggestion would be check battery.

......... two guns

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had a long hard night of partying last fall, and ran the stereo enough to drain the battery. I didn't have a charger (or tender) so I pushed it down the hill. Even though it was gravel, in second gear it turned over easy. If you have a small hill, or if you have someone that can help push it, I bet you can gear start it. Run it a while, and see if the battery takes a charge. :cool:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Take the battery to an auto parts store or a wal mart and have it tested.
Test should show if it simply needs a full charge or if it's done for good.
You didn't mention how old it is?
As good as a Battery Tender is, the web sight still suggests battery replacement @ 5yrs.

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
I'd invest in an Optimate 3 and a set of pigtails. Best battery protector/tender/charger I've come across yet. I've got 5 of the things including dual voltage, boost packs and actual Tender brand units.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
bought 3 tenders at Harbor Frieght. I rarely buy electrical stuff there but they were like 60% off.

2 didn't work at all. They looked like they were working but both I plugged in failed and i knew both batteries wouldn't be bad. I took them back.

Bought 2 at wallyworld and both have worked perfectly last 3 years.

Not knocked your stuff, but check it out before you assume.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies everyone!!! When I got home from work, I took the battery out, and took the caps off the top. They were bone dry!! I dont know how old the battery is for sure, it was in the bike when I bought it last spring. Beings it is bone dry, is it worth filling it, charging it, and having it tested?

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
for the trouble of playing with caustic acid, I would buy a new one.

Probably a leak somewhere if it' dead dry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts