Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noises

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
I have a three problems.
The first one is the engine surges at idle.
The second one is the noise in the engine or transmission area after the engine warms up.
The third one is the engine whistle, not air from running,
Any ideas?
rcpaints

#4 ·
I don't know anything but how to put gas in them but welcome to GWOF from Maryland

#6 ·
Yep need more info........more info.....more info......!!!!!

#9 ·
The 1800 has a whine that is the result of the Fuel injection. Might want o check with another 1800 owner and see if it's the same thing.
Of course this is coming from a 1500 rider.
Sorry can't be of more help.

#11 ·
I agree more info needed on these problems, did you just buy the bike? it sounds like a vac leak could be causing two of your problems this was mentioned earlier. Is the noise noticed at idle without moving? does the noise speed up with the speed of the engine? so far I would guess a valve adjustment. and or timing belts?In my opinion if this bike is new to you that it needs to be gone over to get a clean bill of health.
Welcome and good luck.

#12 ·
Can't be belts, 1800's have the silent chains doing the cam/valve work. But yeah, alternator whine maybe. Surging has occured on some 1800's and the fix is to supposedly recycle the ecu by starting the bike, letting it idle until the fans come on, and then shutting it off without moving it or revving the motor. some folks have said that it doesn't always work though.

#14 ·
When I bought mine it took awhile to get use to the new noises. After the recent Amsoil change it quieted down. My 2001 doesn't surge, it actually feels like the rpm's drop after a hot start or at low rpm manuvering in 1st or 2nd gear. I will try to cycle it.

30-33 mpg seems low, so maybe a stuck injector. I would put some Seafoam to the next few tanks and see if it helps.

#18 ·
Hey my first two initials spell DR but I have lost a lot of 'patients' over the years too:rolleyes::D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.