Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know rear noises has been discussed many times here, and most point to the tires. But, I've not seen anyone having this exact problem.

My 1992 MINT 1500 Interstate with 36,000 miles has a bad drive line roar that is ONLY there when riding 2 up. My wife and I both weigh in at 200 pounds each. When I ride by myself, I hear nothing but the normal wining transmission noise. But when my wife rides with me, I have this roaring noise at all speeds from 5 mph on up. My tires have about 4,000 miles on them, and are Bridgestone 701's & 702's.

I've tried adjusting the tire pressure, and even running more than the normal 42 pounds in the rear, and nothing changes. The sound does not change when going thru the curves, so I don't feel it is the tires.

This is very irritating, and after about a 100 miles of it, I'm just about wishing I had driven my car, just so I don't have to drive the darn thing back. Can't leave the wifey, out on the trail you know!

It sounds to me like my mower sounds when I have a deck bearing that is noisy. Rough and Loud!

Anybody got any ideas?

Marty

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
have you had the rear wheel bearings checked marty

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
William,

No, I have not. I assume that is going to require a tear down, and wanted to get some opinions first. I wanted to know if that was normal for these things for some reason. I can't imagine it being normal.

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Marty, that kind of noise in NOT normal, and it certainly shouldn't be there. I have heard of a few (and I do mean few) rear diffs with bad splines resulting in noise and or total failure from not being properly greased either after a tear down or even right from the factory (very rare). I'd have it looked at or do the tear down yourself if you're so inclined.

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
You can check your rear wheel bearings.
1. Put bike on center stand.
2. Lay on floor next to the rear wheel.
3. Get hold of the bottom of the wheel and try moving it from side to side..
If it moves the rear bearings are probably finished. If the wheel don't move it could be what budoka say your differential splines maybe running dry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys,

I will check these bearings out.

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Just out of curiosity....do you adjust your suspension up when riding 2 up? Is it possible you're rubbing with the extra weight?

Mark

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had my rear wheel bearings fail on the way home from Wing Ding last year on my 1500 after 100,000 miles. Sounded like I was dragging the centerstand at times. You may want to pull the rear wheel because it may be very hard to detect the play while installed. That's how I found my bearing failure and I'm a mechanic by trade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts