Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Absolutely.

The thermostat slows down the flow of water through the radiator, to give it a chance to cool down before it returns to the engine. Removing the thermostat will cause a free flow of hot water through the radiator, which will return to the engine at nearly the same temperature and cause the engine to overheat in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Without a thermostat the water flows so fast thru the engine that the heat transfer to the water is reduced significantly, I worry about the cylinder temps whenever I see a motor without the thermostat installed.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good advice there volwings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That should be correct, spring side toward the engine. You can pull up a parts list on most of the Honda sites on the internet and it has a pretty good drawing. The trick is finding what section the part you are looking for is hiding in, I found your thermostat along with the fuel pump drawings.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i got it in

Still hot according to gauge it runs around little over half way

and fan kicks on if u in traffic long

but it really doesn't feel hot...i mean i can put my hand on it for about 8 seconds

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
Sounds like it's working just fine. The gauge should run at about 1/2 and the fans should come on if you are at a standstill for very long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts