Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I just bought a 84 Goldwing Interstate, seems to start every time, except when it is warm, I took it for a 10 minute drive, parked it for about 10 minutes and she would not start, starter would barely turn over, battery is still fully charged and it does charge when running. It did start after about 2 minutes. Any idea on the issue?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Being that I am not mechanically inclined...my suggestion is to wait at least fifteen minutes between rides! Based on your post...this should do the trick.

·
Registered
212 Posts
HI, I just bought a 84 Goldwing Interstate, seems to start every time, except when it is warm, I took it for a 10 minute drive, parked it for about 10 minutes and she would not start, starter would barely turn over, battery is still fully charged and it does charge when running. It did start after about 2 minutes. Any idea on the issue?
Well by just purchasing a new ride it's best to do some updates to your new toy.I would start by pulling that starter, and see what shape it is in.They all need a going over at intervals.It just may need a cleaning and relube. Check your dog bone Fuse (main fuse ) may look good, but be at fault.Time to replace that with a automotive type system. Good luck, and enjoy that new ride!!

WA9FWT Phil

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi phd, time for a new starter motor, the old one will loose tolerance when heated by the motor an seize up till it cools down. good luck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
phd...I am not mechanically inclinded either...but I would drain your oil and check very closely for gas residue....why...I have an '81 GW Interstate that had the same problem...dealer told be it was the starter...after $700 later...the bike still had the same problem...good for about two weeks...then back to same old same old...long story short....the problem was never the starter...when my engine was hot the seats (I believe that is what they called them) in the carbs would leak more fuel into the cylinders causing back pressure thus more stess on the starter...therefore the old starter was unable to crank the engine...the best way to determine this is to remove two plugs opposite sides and try starting...if the starter sounds good you have back pressure...(PS put a rag over the plug holes to prevent gas from spraying)...if this is the case...you need a carb rebuild...remeber...GW do not like gas in their carbs for an extended period of time...30 days...with out being run...Hope this helps...(PS if you do rebuild the carbs ...change the oil....gas and oil not a good thing...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
phd...I am not mechanically inclinded either...but I would drain your oil and check very closely for gas residue....why...I have an '81 GW Interstate that had the same problem...dealer told be it was the starter...after $700 later...the bike still had the same problem...good for about two weeks...then back to same old same old...long story short....the problem was never the starter...when my engine was hot the seats (I believe that is what they called them) in the carbs would leak more fuel into the cylinders causing back pressure thus more stess on the starter...therefore the old starter was unable to crank the engine...the best way to determine this is to remove two plugs opposite sides and try starting...if the starter sounds good you have back pressure...(PS put a rag over the plug holes to prevent gas from spraying)...if this is the case...you need a carb rebuild...remeber...GW do not like gas in their carbs for an extended period of time...30 days...with out being run...Hope this helps...(PS if you do rebuild the carbs ...change the oil....gas and oil not a good thing...)
Thanks for the info, certainly something I will look into 1st. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
hi phd, time for a new starter motor, the old one will loose tolerance when heated by the motor an seize up till it cools down. good luck.
PHD,

I kind of have to agree with 2580;s comment. My '78 does the same and I also have a starter from a '79. I took both apart, cleaned it and lubed it and had to solder back the connecting bolt since it was turned on the inside and they both do the same, when heated they barely turn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PHD,

I kind of have to agree with 2580;s comment. My '78 does the same and I also have a starter from a '79. I took both apart, cleaned it and lubed it and had to solder back the connecting bolt since it was turned on the inside and they both do the same, when heated they barely turn.
Thanks all for the input, my starter is definately gone, but 1st I have an oil leak in the cyliner head to fix. The fun continues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hot wheels

I have a 83 aspercade that does the same thing but only when its hot out an i hit a lot of red lights. Its a bummer but i wait about 5 or ten minutes an its off i go . Have read that the 1100 a especially bad because of tubes were to small coming off water pump. I beleive that.. I changed my thermostate an anti freeze. Didnt change a thing. Put wind deflectors on radiator. Good luck

dirtmonkey PS AM THINKING ABOUT TAKING OUT THERMOSTATE AN SEEING HOW IT RUN BUT MY BE GIVING UP GAS MILAGE AN PERFORMANCE. DONT KNOWN YET:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 83 aspercade that does the same thing but only when its hot out an i hit a lot of red lights. Its a bummer but i wait about 5 or ten minutes an its off i go . Have read that the 1100 a especially bad because of tubes were to small coming off water pump. I beleive that.. I changed my thermostate an anti freeze. Didnt change a thing. Put wind deflectors on radiator. Good luck

dirtmonkey PS AM THINKING ABOUT TAKING OUT THERMOSTATE AN SEEING HOW IT RUN BUT MY BE GIVING UP GAS MILAGE AN PERFORMANCE. DONT KNOWN YET:)
Thanks for the reply, turns out that it was my starter, now that it's replaced it works great.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
time to r & r the starter

·
Registered
129 Posts
time to r & r the starter
For sure !!! I found a new one on eBay for $70+ but my neighbor needs to take his (from an ancient Harley) to get it rebuilt at some alternator joint so I gave him my spare starter to do the same for half the price. Will post the results when I get it back.

I'm not so sure about that story with a back pressure building up in the cylinders due to the float valves not closing up when hot. If that was the case there would be shit loads of gas coming out of the exhaust pipes.

For those running hot, DO NOT remove the thermostat and see if any one of the carbs is running lean cause that'll increase the temperature real quick.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like I said earlier, I have 2 starters that I cleaned and rebuild and both bog down when the engine is hot but they spin just fine when connected to 12v.

The other day an old man told me that to fix the problem is to run an additional cable from the battery negative (-) to the same place on the frame where the original cable connects. The total cost for a 4 gauge wire and 2 end connectors was less than $4 and it did the trick. I soldered the connectors instead of crimping them on. So before dishing out $70-80 for a new starter this little trick might squeeze some life out of an old stator and save you some cash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts