Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help for a buddy of mine. Getting ready for a ride Sunday and as he pulled up to my place his bike died. He had just filled the tank before he got here and said that is started up fine, but as he rode it started running funny, like water in tank. He has a volt meter on the bike which was added on by previous owner, and he told me that with no throttle it would register normal then when applied throttle it dropped to near 0.

We checked battery and it shows full charge. Turns the key and absolutely nothing.

Any ideas? Saw on the web that it could be starter switch.

In metro Detroit and looking for advice and possibly a shop to do the work if needed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
The 1984 1200 did have a problem with the ignition switch. The problem first starts up when the bike is cold. So if you are not getting anything when you turn the key on..................This maybe the problem. The plate under the switch wears out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said it started up as usual at home, about 6 miles from my place, stopped and got gas about 3 miles away, started it at the gas station and that is when it started to run rough. Once he arrived at my house, it literally died at the foot of the driveway. So, when he got here it was warmed up.
Thanks Eric.
Are the ignition switches still available, and is this something an average mechanic can do?

·
Super Moderator
15,013 Posts
how long has your friend had this wing? if not long I would replace all those 35yr old fuses, sometimes the heat up and the fuse breaks but once the fuse cools it makes contact again and everything works as it should

·
Administrator
25,982 Posts
Good point Doc. The "dog bone" main is a known weak spot for sure. Main ground too. That doesn't seem to fall in with the rough running though, and it's an '84 so not an EFI/SE issue...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, he has had for quite a few years and just got it back up and running last year after a lot of work, basically an overhaul. It sat idle for a couple of years. I'll ask him if the electrical was redone at that time.
Appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the information, I have read about the dog-bone in my searches and will have him check that out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts