Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all I'm new to the goldwing family. I just purchased a 1976 gl1000 and took it out for my first ride. The oil light came on and of course i went through all the step by step ops to check to see if the cause was a faulty sending unit or actuall no pressure. What do i need to do to changa a oil pump in this motorcycle and what should it cost to repair? Any help would be great!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
What makes you think the oil pump is the fault of no oil pressure? As an engine builder I can tell you that is a big leap. Did you put a mechanical gauge on the motor? If so, did it make ANY oil pressure??? How did the motor sound? It had to knock, but how bad, how long?
Without further data, I would have to say the smart thing to do would be to pull the motor, and pull a rod cap or two. Examine the rod bearings, perhaps check with a ball mic, and then decide how much further you need to look based on those findings.
If you have more data on the condition of the motor now, and the history of how it got like this, then a different, less involved, course of action may be called for.
AS I sit and think, (I am a car guy not a GW expert!), a bad oil pump drive could cause a sudden loss of oil pressure, and if the motor is not run without oil it could excape damage. The chances of an oil pump being "worn out" causing oil pressure loss is minimal at best.
One last thought, (late and I am tired!) obstruction in the oil pump pickup screen will cause low to no oil pressure. (like valve seal debris, etc.)
Let me know if I can help at all.
Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i was riding it at the time when the oil light came on and have had rides before, I checked the sending unit and it was dry, which made me think that the pump was not sending oil through the engine. I haven't pulled the engine to access the pickup screen but that is my next step. Thanks for the info (i'm a car guy too). on the engine. I will let you know what's up

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you were riding it, and had tghe oil light come on suddenly, and did not get any nasty engine noise, then I would bet that you are looking at a relatively minor repair. Look in a manual for your bike, see how the pump is driven. I had an AMC one time that broke an oil pump drive rod on the freeway. BANG, no oil pressure, coasted to the side of the road, had it towed, and only "colateral" damage was one collapsed lifter. That one lifter ticked till the day I sold the car! No motor damage at all, because I stoped right away. So I think yhou are in good shape. Keep me posted.
Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts