Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks,
I just had the timing belts and tires done on my 95 GL 1500. When I picked it up from the shop, it had sat for 2 weeks & batt seemed low. I finally got neutral, but no reverse. I put in a new batt today, and still no neutral, but reverse light comes on briefly, even though it's in neutral. Won't start without neutral light on. Any ideas? I sprayed TRI-FLO around the reverse shifter. Fuses all good. Lights dim when hitting starter switch, but starter does not engage (neutral light won't come on). Thanks. rick

Could a low batt (low voltage) cause this (seemingly electrical) problem? If so, the new batt should have fixed the problem, but didnt'.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... When You Purchase A New Battery It Only Has A Surface Charge In It ... That Is Probably Not Enough To Get Everything Working Correctly ... Put It On A Charger For A Day And Then See What Happens ... Happy Trails ...

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Ronzilla is right. Make sure the new battery is fully charged and see if your problem still exists. If you think about it, your turning over an engine that is as big as some automobile engines with a battery half the size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
95 Wing No Nuetral - New Batt

Thanks for your response. I charged the battery. The lights come on brightly, and the reverse light comes on momentarily, but the neutral light does not come on, and the starter doesn't even try to engage. However, the lights dim when i depress the starter switch. Whacha think? rick

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
neutral switch bad? unless you are in reverse the light should go off

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Detdrbuzzard,
my repair manual is vague, unspecific, does not go step by step, and the "n's" are nonexistent in the index. how can i tell if the neutral switch is bad? Where is it? How can i get to it? I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Any other info will help. thanks, beekeeper

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi beekeeper. there is a small micro switch connected to your reverse lever on the left side. remove the reverse lever handle an the left side panel to access the switch. replace it with a new one. about $12 i think. should fix problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No Neutral Light, No Reverse, No Start

BACKGROUND
Purchased a used 1995 Goldwing Anniversary Edition, GL1500 SE a few months back and has performed w/o any problems. That is until…
I was using the reverse to parallel park the bike when it just stopped backing up…the engine remained running. I finished parking manually.
Once parked, tried to get the reverse to work, w/o avail. At the time thought it was me having trouble finding neutral.
Turned bike off. Played with shifter until I knew I was in neutral – bike rolled freely w/o clutch
Bike would not start and no neutral light lit.

REMEDIES
Began moving reverse handle up and down, at times vigorously…nothing
Purchased CRC electronic cleaner and sprayed reverse switch best I could. w/o removing all panels…nothing
Removed seat and all panels – cleaned cables and switch w/CRC…nothing
Replaced reverse switch (New $20.00)…nothing

NOTES:
Tried starting with bike in neutral, kickstand down and with and without clutch pulled in
Tried starting with bike in neutral, kickstand up and with and without clutch pulled in
Tried starting with bike in gear, kickstand down and clutch pulled in
Tried starting with bike in gear, kickstand up and clutch pulled in

CURRENTLY:
Turn ignition key on and get oil light, a few seconds of reverse light (goes out) and side kickstand light when its down. I get radio and parking lights, not headlight.

Now what do I do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the hell of it, I started checking fuses...the first fuse I pull was a 5amp...it was blown...replaced it, my neutral light came back on and bike fired right up...YES a stinking 5amp fuse was the single culprit of all those problems.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I will have to try and remember that.Usually if my 1500 gets goofy after using reverse, resetting the reverse lever a couple time usually clears it.
Which 5 amp was it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts