Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I have a quick question, I've recently purchased a 1986 gl1200aspencade, been lying up a while and already got plenty of tips on here from you folks on how to go about getting her back on the road, much appreciated.
My first issue is the key ( or lack of)....
The previous owner lost it...
The locks on the top box is open and I've managed to get the ignition cylinder off but can't get in to unplug it , but last 3 numbers on ignition and box lock are the same ...D78.
Can I bring the top box lock to a locksmith you think to make a key??? Or does he need the ignition???
Thanks again.
Ken

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi folks,
I have a quick question, I've recently purchased a 1986 gl1200aspencade, been lying up a while and already got plenty of tips on here from you folks on how to go about getting her back on the road, much appreciated.
My first issue is the key ( or lack of)....
The previous owner lost it...
The locks on the top box is open and I've managed to get the ignition cylinder off but can't get in to unplug it , but last 3 numbers on ignition and box lock are the same ...D78.
Can I bring the top box lock to a locksmith you think to make a key??? Or does he need the ignition???
Thanks again.
Ken
Update......all sorted guys , my local lock Smith cut me a new key from the code, 5 mins work and all works perfect.
Got a spare cut while I was there, cost me 25 euro all in.....Happy days

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey Kenc - During your restoration project you might consider hiding a spare key somewhere on your bike for emergencies. A couple of layers of black tape around the back side of the frame tube makes the key secure and invisible. This saved my A$$ one time while camping on top of a mountain in Montana - Never did figure out where my primary key disappeared to.......

Good Luck and Ride Safe - Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts