Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out and started my '91 this evening, it has been sitting for a week or so. It started right up, and everything was working fine. I was planning on riding to work tomorrow, so I was giving the bike a once over and making sure everything was working, turn signals, brake lights, etc. I know the headlight came on when I started it because I saw it shinning off of a wall in front of my bike. When I looked again, NO HEADLIGHT, but the Hi Beam ( blue) light was on in my dash. I flicked the switch a couple of times,nothing. I turned the bike off and re-started it, nothing, no headlights, but the Hi Beam light was still on. My Tulsa lights and my lower cowl lights are working fine, but no headlights......Bulbs? Or switch? What do you all think? Where should I start? And, Thanks.....

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
BigC. I had a similar thing happen on my 95. If I would switch from Hi to Lo ocassionally they wouldn't come on at all. What I did was change the Switch assy. It wasn't cheap, I believe around $130.00 but it worked fine. It was a bear to do what I call correctly, here's a link to my thread on it.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1993

Now on the flip side what you may want to try is to get some Electrical Contact spray (Radio Shack) & spray the switch assy. It may work for you. If it were me I would at least take the switch assy in half but be careful there are small parts internally that you won't want to disturb.

Good Luck

·
Administrator
15,290 Posts
One of the guys in our GWRRA group has problems with his lights not working also. It turned out to be in his starter switch. He could hit it a time or two while running and the lights would come on. He used the spray cleaner and it fixed the problem for a while. A couple weeks ago it started again. He has to spray the switches periodically to keep them clean.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
A good flush with the contact cleaner, then a blast of canned air from Radio Shack to get the crud out.
Also if both lights are out check might want to check fuse 12, it is located in the relay box.

Box is under the left side cover. Sometimes it helps to loosen the bolts holding the saddle bag on that will give you a little wiggle room to get the box. cover off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great advice from all of you,Thanks. I won't be able to look at my Wing until this coming weekend, due to the hours I work. I'll take all the help I can get on this problem though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I had this problem last week with my 93. Think it was the starter button, there are two fuses for the head lights and two relays. Try cleaning the switches as described.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help, I'll try cleaning the switches this weekend and go from there......I'm out the door for work, Thanks again

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, here's an update. I sprayed the switches with Radio Shack Contact/Control Cleaner and Lubricant, but no joy, no headlights. I payed special attention to the starter switch. I sprayed that switch several times and tried to work the cleaner into the switch. I also sprayed the headlight switch itself,and the ignition switch also. While the bike was running I pushed the starter switch several times to see if the lights would come on, no luck.

I have a can of Master brand Electric Parts Cleaner I'd like to try BUT, I don't know if it will hurt or damage my plastics, anyone know or used something like that? I'd hate to find out the hard way, parts for a 91 Wing are not cheap or easy to find. Let me know on the Master cleaner.

So, this weekend I'm going to look into the fuses and relay. Thanks again for all the help. Sure is frustrating to have a perfectly wonderful bike sitting in the garage and down due this kind of problem......:(

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Is the high beam indicator on all the time?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the high beam indicator is on all the time. Is that a clue? I just walked in from the garage, the 15amp fuse for the headlight SEEMED to be fine, but I put the spare one in any way. No luck, still no headlight(s). I'll pull off the saddlebag tomorrow and check and probably replace the relays. Anything else I'm missing?

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Try testing relays number 1 and 4.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It is time to keep it simple, use a 12 volt test light and test for power and ground at the headlights and check all the fuses while your in there. it is unlikely that the high and low beam elements are burnt but the diagnostics have to start somewhere.
let us know if you have power on both sides of the fuses.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, here's where I'm at today. I pulled relays 1 and 4. They looked like original 1991 relays, the words and numbers were faded on the relays, so I held out hope that was the problem. I pulled a 20amp from the rest of the relays and put it into the low beam spot and started the bike........no luck, still no headlights. Damn. I'll go out in a while and put a test light on the 1 and 4 spots to see if I have power to those relay spots and go from there.I'm going to replace those two relays just because,but for now it seems like I have either both hi and low beam bulbs burnt out at the same time, which doesn't seem like it would happen OR one of the handlebar switches failed on me. I'm betting on one of the switches being toast. I still have the high beam light on in my dash, which seems odd.....?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts