Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was told by one of my surgoens that while the Wing is very comfrotable it has no cool factor...mind you now that this surgeon has a 2002 Hyabusa with 4.000 miles on it and a Triumph Rocket III with about 1,000 miles on it. He is what I call ....an up right rider. (WHICH IS SOMEONE WHO ROUNDS THE CURVES IN THE UP RIGHT POSITION WITH NO LEAN WHAT SO EVER)

When I went riding with him he was on the Hyabusa and of course right now I only have the Wing so I was on the Wing. I hit the curves hard ...the sliders on the pegs hit the pavement. I enjoy that ...but I do miss my rocket at times which had sooo much tourque, but back to my point. I had to pull over and wait for him...again Wing versus Hyabusa....on a long ride...the Wing would win but on a short ride ....well you guys understand my point.

I picked the Wing for a reason Function over Form how the bike performs...functions....what it has that will enhance what I am using it for and the Wing in my humble opinion has all the elements that are needed for the long ride....

So even if in his opinion it has no cool factor I don't care. I thinK it performs admirably. His opinion to me is gauged by the amount of miles he dpes which are minimal so .....:D he can put htat in his pipe and smoke it....

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Larry I find it amazing that some bikers want excessive noise and vibration. I see no purpose to that and if you are riding distance noise and virbration are not your friend....they increase fatigue after a long day of riding. I also had tested many bikes....the HD bikes excluding the V Rod....were under powered ....the brakes were also very week. In my opinion the Wing would run circles aroun them....The HD dealer told me it was a way of life....maybe so but not my way of life....:D

·
Administrator
15,294 Posts
I know what you mean. I have a friend who calls my Wing the "Old Man Bike". That's okay because it will do a lot more than he thinks and I can do it all day, for days. Now I have my Yamaha Stratoliner that, to me, has the cool factor and I love it. But it isn't the one I get on if I want to see the country. I've had a 500 mile day on it and wasn't comfortable the last 200 miles. On the Wing I can go all day and get back on the next and do it again. Besides that "You meet the nicest people on a Honda".

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
You've seen one Rocket III, you've seen them all. You've seen one Hyabusa, you've seen them all. You've seen one Goldwing , you want to ride them all.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you mean. I have a friend who calls my Wing the "Old Man Bike". That's okay because it will do a lot more than he thinks and I can do it all day, for days. Now I have my Yamaha Stratoliner that, to me, has the cool factor and I love it. But it isn't the one I get on if I want to see the country. I've had a 500 mile day on it and wasn't comfortable the last 200 miles. On the Wing I can go all day and get back on the next and do it again. Besides that "You meet the nicest people on a Honda".
Crown I know what you mean....the surgeon said he wanted to race me ....that was before I knew he was not a experieince or good rider..lol I told him I would race him from Roswell NM to Madawaska Maine....if I knew how slow he was I would have said a mile run....:D The Wing is great on my recent trip...it was great.....

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You've seen one Rocket III, you've seen them all. You've seen one Hyabusa, you've seen them all. You've seen one Goldwing , you want to ride them all.
Not so...the Wing has it's place as the best touring bike out there...time proven...the Rocket I want that for cruising...it is massive and has great power and performs very well in the curves or twisties...it will be my second bike....:D

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
wings have plenty of cool factor but its hidden, you just have to ride one to bring it out

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have rode Goldwings since I was 16. 48 now. Through saving and government then not saying working young was bad, that was possible. Any way, I don't know how many times I heard if you rode a Harley I'd go with you. Still find that funny. While I was riding, buddies were always working on their Harleys. Almost 30 years later and things haven't changed. They still have too look cool.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More power...less vibration...stop on a dime..handles better...all the extras...I chock it up to riders that know very little about what is out there....novice riders...I know that seems snobbish but from what I have seen and heard it is true. The top four bikes I looked at HD was not one of them... Goldwing, BMW GTL 1800. Victory Vision and the Victory Cross Counrty...were the ones for touring....I did not care for the power of the V twin...nor did I want to get a bike that had a new engine and had trouble with losing oil the BMW....there were some other issues that steered me away from it as well.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Lee, I think it simply goes back tp the old adage "Who are you trying to please?" Most of here on the forum put ourselves at the top and our most frequent passenger second. Sounds like your surgeon is all show not caring or even knowing about the potential of the performance. You can call him a rider but I would probably call him an egotistical jerk. Does he drive a Porsche? The same way? And for the same reasons I'd bet...to impress everyone else.

Should be an easy guess which of you I'd prefer to ride with. But you might have to wait for me to catch up with you at the lunch stop. Uuuhhhb, we are stopping for lunch, right?. You're not planning to ride straight through to Maine tonight, are you?

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I don't care about impressing anyone but me! I figure everyone has their opinion or description of COOL , whether it has to do with style, performance or aesthetics and even the impression factor that one perceives to leave on others. I don't care if my bicycle is faster, shinier, bigger or newer, because I ride the bicycle that impresses me and I don't care if the other guy considers my ride isn't for him or impressive enough for his friends, he is no different than I . We all at one time or another have that childish sandbox moment when our toy is better than yours, but that is OK. We like what we like and as long as we are satisfied why does it matter what the other guy thinks? I could care less if you can ride your bicycle standing on your head and do it faster than me, because in the end I ask myself .... WHY DOES IT MATTER? The answer is ... it doesn't !

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Bussa a twisties bike ?? Too long and over powered , a good 600 will take it in the twisties. I have rode many sport bikes and standards as well and to tell you the truth I have never cared to ride a bussa in the twisties , I think the Wing with a good rider would take it due to the flat power curve.

·
Registered
246 Posts
In Florida "Bussa" riders are referred to as organ donors. The Triumph Rocket III Classic was my first big bike and love. Lost it in a crash, got another two months later, same bike. Gave that Triumph to my nephew when he graduated from the Sgt Majors Academy a couple years ago...I just so proud of him. After experiencing a Kawasaki Voyager, a good bike but hot and under powered, I got my Goldwing and fell in love again. My nephew loves his Trumpet and always wants to be out front when riding, that's okay with me. I rode that bike to Sturgess, Canada, the UP and all places in between, my nephew agrees with me...The Triumph makes you smile!!! Yeah, maybe the Wing is an old man's bike, who cares, I'm an old man and love my Wing. Ps. My ne-phew lives in upstate NY and rides the Trumpet to and from work daily, except in the winter of course. He and his son love riding.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I have found "The less people know about riding, the more they want a Harley". Now thats cool.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
That's funny Lee. Your buddy is a bit of a poser in reality. Posers spend more time reading magazine ads than riding...when they're not hanging out at the Starbucks with their blinged out cool machines parked at the curb. Wings are just as cool as any other bike if not more so, pretty cool having a bike that stands up to over 200k on the clock and still hauls a**! There's Wing riders (and I think we all know who I mean) that can absolutely embarrass the "cool guys" on their 'busas and Gixxers etc. I'd be hard pressed to loose the YW on my RC51 if he put his mind to it. Maybe on a straightaway but any fool can twist his right wrist to the stop.
BTW, during my years as a meat cutter I had an advantage over your surgeon pal, I got to grind and still market my mistakes.;)

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have found "The less people know about riding, the more they want a Harley". Now thats cool.
LMAO,,,,the inverse is also true....:D

Bud you are correct....like I said he is an up right rider...no power into the twisties for him...lol

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
It's all just sociology!
Motorcyclists and their perception of "cool" sounds like a topic for discussion in sociology 100!
When I was a kid riding in the car with my parents and watching motorcycles pass by, I thought that just being able to ride a motorcycle was "cool". But after years of riding a motorcycle I have found that our "perception of cool" is divided two ways.
(1) Your surgeon friends perception of cool is egocentric. He needs to feel that other people think that "he is cool" for riding the biggest, fastest, baddest machine out there. The essence of riding a motorcycle to him is how "he" looks to others when riding a motorcycle. He needs "his coolness" to be stroked by others and he probably always rides in a group so that others can see him. This person probably never rides their motorcycle over a long distance.
(2) On the other side you have a motorcyclist who just thoroughly enjoyed" the ride". To this person the cool part is just riding the motorcycle. The essence of riding a motorcycle to this person is how it makes them feel personally, and they are not too concerned how others perceive them. It doesn't matter if they are riding by themselves or in a group, they just like the feel of "the ride ".
So you see that you are just as cool as the other guy but your view is from a different angle
I think that most Goldwing owners fall into the number (2) category. But all of us have a little bit of the number(1) category also.
Because, why after all is it important for us to shine our bikes before we leave the house!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts