Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like power. My 1800 Wing is a pretty perfect bike in alot of ways, but I have been working up a Nitrous squirt for my supercharged Valkyrie and I got to thinking about how simple it would be to wake the old Wing up with a little nitrous tank mounted in a saddle bag. That would make her quite the sleeper I would think. :D

Im sure its been done. Has anyone got a link or some info on it? Im sure I could figure it out easily enough, but I dont want to re-invent the wheel if I can learn something from someone who has already faced the issues associated with plumbing it in.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would remember the old standard "More power means less life" I don't know what a wing engine will take but if NOX is your bag, go for it. Could be scary. (In a good sort of way)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea speed kills, but I am a pretty safe guy in that I pick the places carefully to unleash the bike. Ive lived with the 150hp Valk for a while. I figure a 145hp or so Wing on occasion wont hurt. Ive just got a mischievous streak in me where the wing is concerned. So many HD folks have such an attitude about the wing it seems. I would have left the exhaust etc alone on the Valk when I supercharged it if I could have, and let IT sneak up on the un-suspecting loud mouth. However, that wasnt in the cards and I do enjoy the rich sound of that engine and wouldnt trade the power that bike has for anything. It was a fun project to do. The Wing however isnt getting a new exhaust. I really enjoy the quiet on it when riding with the wife.

Go figure... im a tinkerer. ;)

·
Registered
904 Posts
personaly I would have the computer unlocked and turn on full power. Dyno is 156 at back wheel, front tire three feet in air at start, 18 inches up in 2nd gear, 140 mph in third. How much more could you ask for?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
2003 please elaborate on this computer unlock...my hair is standing on end and I got goosebumps all over, my canine teeth are lengthening, and I think I'm sprouting horns! 156 hp at the rear wheel? That's 1000rr territory man. Oh, Massey how the ashes flew!:eek::D:cool:

·
Registered
904 Posts
This motorcycle was set to max computer settings by Honda for the p.d. factory setting is 135mph 97 to 100 hp by factory. dealers detuned them to 115 to 118. A friend who works for Honda ran the vin and computer # to find out what this bike was set up at. TOTAL WIDE OPEN! an experience I was not ready for when I bought it, but man do I like it. My buddies 08 is slow compared to mine.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
@ 2003 you have my attention big time. You got mail buddy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Odd, from articles I read WAY back... I understood that the 1800 didnt have the injectors to take it past about 148hp or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mooorrrrreeeee power!!!! There is no other way to go.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Odd, from articles I read WAY back... I understood that the 1800 didnt have the injectors to take it past about 148hp or so.
Sludge, the GL is not rated openly for horsepower (Honda won't release horsepower ratings until there is a standard that all OEMs are governed by). However, the published hp of 1800 Wings is around 123 engine hp (subject to speculation).Factor in a 10% parasitic loss and you're at about 111 rear wheel ponies. Even if all there is to gain is up to 148 as you mentioned, that's freaking HUGE! My 1500 would pull the front wheel in the first two gears, and they were no where near as spanky as the 1800 in stock form! I'm doing some research and then some experimenting with some info I've been given and then I'll let everyone on the site know what I learn. I'm not sworn to secrecy, but I'm keeping the wraps on it for now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, 111 is probably about right. My 1800 with my lard ass on it is about even with a stock valk. The Wing with more weight evens out with the weaker valk (of lesser weight).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Budoka please keep us informed. I would like nothing better than to kick my buddies butt on his bandit 1250. I find the wing starts to run out of steam around 190-200kph. Riding two up and loaded slows the acceleration a bit more. Roll-on in the mountains suffers with wt. not to mention it would just be more fun. Looking forward to more info.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I will CDNRIDER. BTW I'm in Edmonton for a Honda meeting Wednesday evening after work (meeting during the day Thursday) and staying over on Thurs evening, headed home Friday. Plan on riding in on the bike, maybe we could meet up depending on our schedules?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Budoka, off work wednesday but working nights Thursday and Friday. If you get in early enough Wed. call me at 780-554-6675 and lets see if we can hook up.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Cool beans. I should be in town about 7:30 ish depending if I can sneak out of the office a tad early or not. Will be at the Delta South for the duration. Coming in from the North, so I'll give you a shout when I hit St. Albert.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I need to get a new helmet for that but then, the point would me mute.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Sauce

Let's keep this one going. Seems to be some interest including me. Would like to know more about the chip tweaking. Would rather go that way than the juice. Knowing what has to be done to the bottom end of an auto engine, not sure Goldwing has the correct connections to accept the sudden jolt of power.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Actually on the GL1500 you have a little more room to modify. You start by changing out the exhaust system and get rid of the pre-muffler chamber. You go with the Torque Monster that replaces the pre-muffler chamber and then you change the mufflers to the Torque Masters. A K&N air filter brings in more air, but also has to be cleaned more often for best performance. The ECM is preset at the factory. The engine has hydraulic lifters.
Now if you wanted a 'Sleeper' bike, the Valkyrie is it. The engine is almost the same with a few minor changes; it has 6 carbs that can be rejetted, solid lifters and hotter cams.
The Goldwing engine is not a robust as a car engine, but swapping the exhaust, keeping the carbs synced and more air flow you'll see some power gains.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now if you wanted a 'Sleeper' bike, the Valkyrie is it. The engine is almost the same with a few minor changes; it has 6 carbs that can be rejetted, solid lifters and hotter cams
If you read the first post, you will see I have already played with the Valk with a supercharger and am now doing a nitrous addition to that.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.