Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Running Nitrogen is fine, but if you need a top off some day will you have access to Nitrogen where and when you need it ?
I totally agree. Nitrogen does hold the tire pressure because it is not as acceptable to temperature changes. Ask NASCAR. But, if you develop a leak, then what.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Funny claim about running Nitrogen and getting better tire wear. Nitrogen inside the tire holds better pressure has nothing to do with the rubber wearing out on the outside of the tire. Friction is Friction. The only advantage is the close to constant air pressure in the tire. And those of us to constantly check that pressure will always have good tire wear because we don't let the tire get 10 pounds too low or high.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My two cents worth. Higher pressure air holds less water vapor than lower pressure air. When an air compressor compresses the air to a higher pressure the water vapor turns to liquid and falls out. That is why it is very important to drain your air tank regularly with its accumulated liquid water which will eventually corrode the inside of your tank. Another thing, pressure is a condition of a material and not a property. Whether it is pure nitrogen, air (Nittorgen/Oxygen mix), helium, or whatever 40 psi is 40 psi. Regarding temperature sensitivity, specific heat of a gas is a property which would change the operating temperature of the tire some. Without dragging out my thermodynamics book to look up the specific heat of gases I would suspect there is very little difference since air is 79% nitrogen.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I only run air, but I make sure to ask for metric air.

After a few months of topping up the tires as the pressure drops, I find I'm running 98% metric nitrogen because all the smaller molecules are the ones that leak out, leaving behind the big fat nitrogen ones.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts