Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm Nick. I live in Adrian, MI, and I'm bringing home my first Goldwing later today. . .

1986 GL1200 "Limited Edition" (Gold/brown in color, Limited Edition badge on the tank) with all the goodies. It has a few extra pieces of chrome here and there, VERY comfortable seat with backrest, floorboards, highway pegs, trailer hitch, comes with two new windshields, and best of all, EVERYTHING works, including the factory air suspension. CB, Stereo, air suspension, intercom, fuel injection, it's in great shape. Never been laid down or dropped. 60k original miles, and I'm getting it for less than $2k. I'll post some pictures up when I get it home. I've been "lurking" here since I first started looking for a Goldwing, finally decided to register.

As far as my plans for the bike, I really don't have any. I'm going to insure and register it this week, probably look into new tires for it, make sure everything works as it should, and ride it around town for a few weeks, and this summer, a friend and I are taking a trip to Florida on our bikes. I want to get comfortable riding a big bike like the Goldwing, I've been riding smaller bikes since I started riding about 5 years ago, and I think it may take a little getting used to, but I'll be alright.

I don't really fit the "demographic" for a Goldwing owner, I guess, I'm only 23, but 'wing owners are among the most down-to-earth riders I've met, and I've met quite a few. You guys are doing it right, I have to say.

Eventually, I'll own a newer GL1800, but that's a few years down the road.

You guys have a great site, and I hope to stick around here for a while!

Any ideas on what I should watch out for on this bike? I'm a little worried about it making the trip south this summer, and I have no idea what to watch for.

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing and welcome to the GWOF from Pennsylvania. Sounds like you got a great deal. Ride safe and have a great trip.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
hello nick, welcome to GWOF. i'll be out your way soon. what are the demographics for a wing? come to think of it to hell with demographics buy what you want to ride,

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
tall guys on short wheelbase bikes tend to sit too far back on the seat taking weight off the front and destabilizing the bike. found that out back when i was still rideing cb350 hondas. one year when i was in college about eight of my friends and myself had cb350's . just cruising around it was ok to slide back on the seat for comfort but when bost of our rides were on twolane twisty roads and racing each other. sliding foward on the seat and putting your knees against the tank in the twistys got the wollow out the bike and sliding foward made the bike more stable at speeds over 60mph so i see where you feel the wing is more stable the longer wheelbase and legnth help with that

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well guys. I guess I meet those "demographic" parameters for a winger, EXCEPT... I got my Medicare card last March (2010) (making me an old fart) and bought very FIRST bike that April. My 1986 Aspy GL1200. And, like you guys, I am HOOKED!! I just got it out of winter storage this past week and have taken a few very short rides. It's been very wet and windy here in IL lately. But I loved every minute I've been on the road so far. So, whether you're 23, or 66 like me, experienced rider, or a "newbie, again like me, you WILL enjoy the Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Welcome from fired-up Texas! Can't comment on the mechanical issues, but I would be leery of the structural integrity of your helmets assuming that they are the same age as the bike.

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
I can only go by how my 1200 goes with it charging. At idle 11.5v and at 2000 rpms 14.5 Eric

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
With the clutch: Try taking off the master cylinder cover, it has a bleeder in the master cylinder. Put a spanner on the bleeder and a clear hose and pull the clutch in and out. When the bubbles stop hold the clutch in and close the bleeder. Top up and put the diaphragm and top back on. It's the first time I have seen a bleeder in the master cylinder. Eric

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
you can save some money and order the belts from napa auto parts belt #250070

·
Registered
334 Posts
Why not try this trick on your caliper use a grease gun hook it to the bleeder and open the bleeder up and pump it. You may want to put a towel around it should pop it out. Also those 3 yellow wires to the left of the battery with the connector it should be taken out and the wires solidered and use heat shrink and tape it. Good luck Hal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.