Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm Nick. I live in Adrian, MI, and I'm bringing home my first Goldwing later today. . .

1986 GL1200 "Limited Edition" (Gold/brown in color, Limited Edition badge on the tank) with all the goodies. It has a few extra pieces of chrome here and there, VERY comfortable seat with backrest, floorboards, highway pegs, trailer hitch, comes with two new windshields, and best of all, EVERYTHING works, including the factory air suspension. CB, Stereo, air suspension, intercom, fuel injection, it's in great shape. Never been laid down or dropped. 60k original miles, and I'm getting it for less than $2k. I'll post some pictures up when I get it home. I've been "lurking" here since I first started looking for a Goldwing, finally decided to register.

As far as my plans for the bike, I really don't have any. I'm going to insure and register it this week, probably look into new tires for it, make sure everything works as it should, and ride it around town for a few weeks, and this summer, a friend and I are taking a trip to Florida on our bikes. I want to get comfortable riding a big bike like the Goldwing, I've been riding smaller bikes since I started riding about 5 years ago, and I think it may take a little getting used to, but I'll be alright.

I don't really fit the "demographic" for a Goldwing owner, I guess, I'm only 23, but 'wing owners are among the most down-to-earth riders I've met, and I've met quite a few. You guys are doing it right, I have to say.

Eventually, I'll own a newer GL1800, but that's a few years down the road.

You guys have a great site, and I hope to stick around here for a while!

Any ideas on what I should watch out for on this bike? I'm a little worried about it making the trip south this summer, and I have no idea what to watch for.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing and welcome to the GWOF from Pennsylvania. Sounds like you got a great deal. Ride safe and have a great trip.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello nick, welcome to GWOF. i'll be out your way soon. what are the demographics for a wing? come to think of it to hell with demographics buy what you want to ride,

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome from the Blue Ridge Mountains!!
Ride safe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello nick, welcome to GWOF. i'll be out your way soon. what are the demographics for a wing? come to think of it to hell with demographics buy what you want to ride,
Let me know when you're out my way, I wouldn't mind meeting up for a bite, if you've got the time.

As far as demographics, I don't think anyone expects to see someone like me riding a 'Wing. I'm 23, 6'3", 220 lbs, ex-military, and I've always been into sport bikes and fast cars. I took the Goldwing for a spin before I bought it, and I fell in love! Mine needs some work, but honestly, for what I paid for it, it could be in MUCH worse shape!

Welcome from the Blue Ridge Mountains!!
Ride safe
I always ride safe, even more so now that I'm riding something 3x as powerful and 5x as big as what I'm used to. This is EASILY the biggest, most powerful bike I've ever ridden. And I honestly think I'm in love. . .

I trailered the bike home, the brakes are a little iffy. After we got it home, we unloaded it, pulled the battery (less than a year old and already has a dead cell, go figure), bought a replacement (cost $100), threw that in, and took it around the block to figure out which calipers were dragging. I should have the brakes sorted out this week, plates and insurance will be transferred on Monday or Tuesday, and I'll be up and riding by the middle of the week.

I think that the front fork seals are shot, they are only holding 4psi of air, and I can't get the on-board compressor to fill them any more. The rear suspension has held 6psi so far, but I think the compressor may be shot, it doesn't seem to be working properly.

The bike came with 2 bike covers, 4 spare keys, the original owner's manual, and 2 original GL1200 Limited Edition open-face helmets with the intercom electronics still intact. . . SCORE! Brought it home for $1500, put another $100 into a battery, and I'm in business. Pictures will be posted early this week, I've got family events to go to tomorrow, and I'm going to get started on the brakes bright and early Monday afternoon.

Happy Easter, Everybody! Thanks for the warm welcome!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i'm soon to be 52 nick and the goldwing bug bit me at 23yrs old to right after i saw those new for '84 1200 wings. unfortunantly car troubles kept me from getting a wing back then

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm soon to be 52 nick and the goldwing bug bit me at 23yrs old to right after i saw those new for '84 1200 wings. unfortunantly car troubles kept me from getting a wing back then
I got VERY lucky that this worked out as it did, or I would be looking at an older, more generic bike (like a Yamaha Maxim 650 or something along those lines)

I have two friends that ride Silverwings. One has a medium blue '81 GL500, the other has a maroon '83 GL650. I've ridden theirs before, and I like the '85 LTD a bit better. Not even because of the luxury features, it just feels a little more confident when riding than the Silverwings do.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
tall guys on short wheelbase bikes tend to sit too far back on the seat taking weight off the front and destabilizing the bike. found that out back when i was still rideing cb350 hondas. one year when i was in college about eight of my friends and myself had cb350's . just cruising around it was ok to slide back on the seat for comfort but when bost of our rides were on twolane twisty roads and racing each other. sliding foward on the seat and putting your knees against the tank in the twistys got the wollow out the bike and sliding foward made the bike more stable at speeds over 60mph so i see where you feel the wing is more stable the longer wheelbase and legnth help with that

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well guys. I guess I meet those "demographic" parameters for a winger, EXCEPT... I got my Medicare card last March (2010) (making me an old fart) and bought very FIRST bike that April. My 1986 Aspy GL1200. And, like you guys, I am HOOKED!! I just got it out of winter storage this past week and have taken a few very short rides. It's been very wet and windy here in IL lately. But I loved every minute I've been on the road so far. So, whether you're 23, or 66 like me, experienced rider, or a "newbie, again like me, you WILL enjoy the Goldwing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In an effort to make sure I get everything sorted out, I'd like to get some ideas. . . I have a few problems with the bike that need some attention to remedy.

1. Suspension isn't "airing up" as it should. The compressor can be heard kicking on, and I was told it worked fine last year, but for some reason, I can't get the pressure in the front above 4psi and in the rear above 5psi. The bike scrapes going through turns, and it bottoms out when going over bumps.

2. The rear brakes are not functioning at all, and the front brakes are very spongy and weak. I'm going to pull the front calipers and take them apart, clean out any debris inside, and reassemble, hopefully that will clear the front brake issue up. I think the rear brakes may just need fluid, because there is no pressure at the pedal at all.

3. The radio will play fine through the headsets, but I can't get any audio at all through the speakers. I checked the fuses, they are all fine, so I'm thinking it's either a broken wire to the amp or a bad ground somewhere in the system.

4. There seems to be a slight misfire at idle, I believe it's caused by bad gas, so I'm going to run a little Seafoam through the first tank and hope for the best, but assuming that's not the issue, I'd like to know where to start looking for a solution. . .

5. The stator is only charging at 11.9-12.1V at idle, I thought these bikes were supposed to charge closer to 14.5-15.0V at idle. . . I could be wrong though.

Any input on those issues? I don't know anything about these bikes, so any common problems I need to watch for would really help me out.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome from fired-up Texas! Can't comment on the mechanical issues, but I would be leery of the structural integrity of your helmets assuming that they are the same age as the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome from fired-up Texas! Can't comment on the mechanical issues, but I would be leery of the structural integrity of your helmets assuming that they are the same age as the bike.
Only reason I was excited about getting them is because I know how much replacement helmet electronics cost. . .

They have been stripped of all the intercom components, and I'll be transferring them into my full-face helmets.

I pulled the lower left side fairing off, and I checked the air output to the suspension, I'm not getting any. . . Then I found a clear plastic hose that had been broken, I think it may the the line that runs from the compressor to the solenoid that directs air to the front or rear. . . I'm working on figuring out exactly where it came from now, but I don't have much in the way of technical illustrations.

Google search is my friend though, so hopefully I'll find something.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I can only go by how my 1200 goes with it charging. At idle 11.5v and at 2000 rpms 14.5 Eric

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can only go by how my 1200 goes with it charging. At idle 11.5v and at 2000 rpms 14.5 Eric
Mine charges at 11.5v at idle, and only around 12.2V at 2000+ RPM's. I think there may be a "Poorboy" GM Alternator conversion in my future. . .

As far as the air suspension issues... The compressor is fine, but some field mice made their home in the front fairing, and chewed apart a couple hoses for the air pump. It looks like the inlet hose to the pump needs replaced, as well as the hose from the air dryer to the air regulator. I can't find replacement hoses anywhere. . . I may have to get creative with this.

I'm planning to pull the front brake calipers tomorrow, and a friend of mine is going to help me pull them apart to rebuild them. I'm hoping the problem with the brake pedal is linked to the calipers. There's no pressure in the brake pedal.

Now I'm having issues with the clutch not fully disengaging, if I start the bike in neutral, pull the clutch, and put it in 1st, the bike will lurch slightly. If I don't immediately pull the brake, the bike will continue to move forward. I checked the level of the fluid in the clutch master cylinder, it was fine. I'm completely at a loss as to what is causing this new issue. . . No leaks, the clutch holds fine, I think it just needs adjustment.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
With the clutch: Try taking off the master cylinder cover, it has a bleeder in the master cylinder. Put a spanner on the bleeder and a clear hose and pull the clutch in and out. When the bubbles stop hold the clutch in and close the bleeder. Top up and put the diaphragm and top back on. It's the first time I have seen a bleeder in the master cylinder. Eric

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
12 Posts
congratz

charging may not be too far off if you see 14 volt at 2-2,500 rpm. Especially if the PO added some extra lights. There are a few things to check there including the three yellow wire connector betwen the stator and main harness. ( left of battery ) Stators have been a problem for sure. The poor Boy kit is a good solution. If no one else mentioned it yet These bikes are very good bikes but the timing belts are critical. If you do not know when last changed please buy the pair and change them. It is not a bad job and the damage can be total if they break. To look at them is not a good indicator of condition.
Just my humble opinion.
Good luck and enjoy the ride

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the clutch: Try taking off the master cylinder cover, it has a bleeder in the master cylinder. Put a spanner on the bleeder and a clear hose and pull the clutch in and out. When the bubbles stop hold the clutch in and close the bleeder. Top up and put the diaphragm and top back on. It's the first time I have seen a bleeder in the master cylinder. Eric
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot. I was looking at the fluid in the MC, it's quite brown... I'm going to flush and bleed all the hydraulics.

I pulled the brake calipers last night to inspect them, the rear caliper was so seized, I couldn't get the pistons out using 150psi of air pressure. I was able to press them in using a large c-clamp, but they won't come out. I went ahead and ordered a new one online, should be here this week. I need to get a few other things ordered still, but for the most part, o ce the brakes are done, I can start riding the bike around town.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
charging may not be too far off if you see 14 volt at 2-2,500 rpm. Especially if the PO added some extra lights. There are a few things to check there including the three yellow wire connector betwen the stator and main harness. ( left of battery ) Stators have been a problem for sure. The poor Boy kit is a good solution. If no one else mentioned it yet These bikes are very good bikes but the timing belts are critical. If you do not know when last changed please buy the pair and change them. It is not a bad job and the damage can be total if they break. To look at them is not a good indicator of condition.
Just my humble opinion.
Good luck and enjoy the ride

Thank you for the heads up. I think it's alright to ride for now, but I will definitely be ordering a new set of timing belts on payday. Might as well do the proverbial ounce of maintenance while the front lower fairings are all still removed.

I'll be keeping an eye on the stator, it keeps the battery going at 12 volts, but not much higher. Probably just trying to keep up with all the extra lights.

Another fix we managed, although the air hoses were chewed up for the suspension, I reinflated the front forks to around 15psi and the rear to around 45psi, and the both seem to be maintaining. I'll order the new hoses for the compressor on payday as well. I'm already $1700 total invested into this bike, and I still haven't even taken it out for some fun in the sun yet! I'll have close to $2000 invested before I take it on any long trips. New brake pads are coming closer to the end of the season, and I need to get the radio speakers working and a 12v outlet for my gps and iPod transmitter installed. For as nice as these bikes are, I was hoping they'd be a little easier to work on... Took us forever to get the side bags off to get at the rear brakes last night!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
you can save some money and order the belts from napa auto parts belt #250070

1 - 20 of 32 Posts