Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
As my heading states, i am just a signature away from owning a brand new 2010 Goldwing. I have owned my Harley Softtail for 16 great years and now its time to upgrade to the best tourer around. I only have 2 concerns, my main concern here is that where i live in Australia we only have 2 models to choose, a standard model and a luxury model that has the lot which is the one i'm interested in. The only problem is that they only come in 2 colours a Silver and a dull Light Blue and i dont like either of them, i have requsted a Black or Titanium by special orders, at this stage they are looking into it. Dont get me wrong i love the bike and i want the bike but i know i wont be fully happy with either of those to colours , they have a dark red but that only comes in the standard model only. Id like to know who here in Honda Australia gets to choose the colours, he needs to go and talk to real people.
The salesperson tried to talk me into painting it through a paint shop. " as if i was going to spend $46,000.00 AU which is $41,000.00 US to by the bike and pay extra to paint it".

My other question or concern may be answered by someone in the forum for me hopefully. The salesperson told me that the bike will be built in America because Honda has decided not to close down the factory, can anyone shed some light on this , i have read that Honda was closing the plant down.

If honda can't get any other colour i may seriously decide to cancel and wait for the next model

Thanks in advance to any replies

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF wing down under, 2010 should be the last year of wing production in the usa

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can tell you first hand painting a GoldWing is a real nighmare to get right. Every panel needs to be painted at the same time and every panel has to have it's own stand. I think the last GL1500 we did was around 30 panels. If you try to spray them at diffeant times the color won't be exact (unless you panit them black.) The previous owner of my bike had it painted Caddilac Peral white. He didn't get one of the side cover on just right and it blew off so he had to have it resprayed. It was paint out of the same gallon of paint and it was still just a little off. Nobody ever notices but I do

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania and congrats on your decision to purchase a Wing. You are going to enjoy the bike. As far as the 2010 model, production has shut down and the plant closed in Marysville, Ohio in 2009. Honda produced the 2009 and 2010 models there before closing. So your 2010 is the same as the 2009 model except for color choices. All Goldwings produced going forward will be made in Japan.

By the way, I know you said you did not like Silver, but I have one and love the color. It does not show the dirt and looks great when cleaned and polished.

Good luck and ride safe down under...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
To add to what two wheel king said, is there any chance you could get an 09? you might have a better color choice, to paint a Gold Wing you are probably looking at about $2500. How about buying one from the states and having it imported?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wish you the best of luck in your search. If you decide to wait for the next model, you may have a long wait. There is some discussion on the GWRRA board that there may not be a 2011 Gold Wing and that the next model year may be 2012.

I don't know if the color represented on the Honda Australia web site is correct for what you see in person, but I've got to tell you if we could get this color blue in the States, I'd be at the local shop ordering one today.

Hoss

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats on your wing choice, and welcome from Milwaukee, WI. I just bought a 2010, and you will not regret your choice. My bike was made in Ohio.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi all
As my heading states, i am just a signature away from owning a brand new 2010 Goldwing. I have owned my Harley Softtail for 16 great years and now its time to upgrade to the best tourer around. I only have 2 concerns, my main concern here is that where i live in Australia we only have 2 models to choose, a standard model and a luxury model that has the lot which is the one i'm interested in. The only problem is that they only come in 2 colours a Silver and a dull Light Blue and i dont like either of them, i have requsted a Black or Titanium by special orders, at this stage they are looking into it. Dont get me wrong i love the bike and i want the bike but i know i wont be fully happy with either of those to colours , they have a dark red but that only comes in the standard model only. Id like to know who here in Honda Australia gets to choose the colours, he needs to go and talk to real people.
The salesperson tried to talk me into painting it through a paint shop. " as if i was going to spend $46,000.00 AU which is $41,000.00 US to by the bike and pay extra to paint it".

My other question or concern may be answered by someone in the forum for me hopefully. The salesperson told me that the bike will be built in America because Honda has decided not to close down the factory, can anyone shed some light on this , i have read that Honda was closing the plant down.

If honda can't get any other colour i may seriously decide to cancel and wait for the next model

Thanks in advance to any replies
First off let me welcome you from Southen California--- Love down under been there twice --- now as for the wing--- all Wings for 2010 have already been built as was stated---- so why not come to the States get the color you want and ride it around here for a while and then send it back to the island? and your still be cheaper than buying it there

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, this seems like a great forum, and i have picked up some great information reading some posts.

Hi CVHoss, believe me if that was same blue i would not hesitate to buy it. This blue they have here is a pale light blue and it really does not say anything, to be honest the silver does look better, but i would prefer a darker colour.

So-Cal that sounds like a great idea that it might end up costing about the same price in the end. The only thing is that i cant get the time until summer here which makes it winter there and thats to cold for me :)

i just have to wait until they let me know this week sometime

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Wow, big dilemma WDU! The 2010 models in Canada are both available in black (we only get two the AL/no airbag and AD/airbag w/everything). Sure you can't get over here to make your colour choices what you really want? North American (both Canada and the States) spring is still a good time to be here,like anytime April and beyond.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi budoka.
Got in touch with honda today and they told me that the American market Gold Wings are slightly built different to Australian Gold Wings 1: is the GPS 2: is the audio 3: is electrical in certain areas and of course we drive on the right hand side here and that means i would have to mount the bike on the left hand side:)
They told me that they will make some inquiries and let me know, heres keeping my fingers crossed.
The idea sounds good though except that when you bring the bike in you get hit with lots of taxes which kills the idea.:(

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yeah, taxes suck. But that's how they protect their local dealers I guess, by making it too unattractive to import something. I though we got hosed in Canada, but you guys really get the root down there! BTW, last time I was there you drove on the left hand side of the road!:D

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Good Choice.

Why not consider a 2 year old wing w low miles and maintained? You would save a bundle and then look for a standard model, save some more and you wont have electric doo-dads to maintain.:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi billcar
Unfortunately for the buyer the goldwing hold there prices here and you might save about $5000 on a new one with very low kms. Thats good news if your giong to buy one and know that it dosent decrease in value much.

Hey Budoka
Taxes here in Oz really suck big time, you can't even have a [email protected] without paying some kind of tax to have it flushed away.
We used to drive on the left , but when we went to the metric system we converted to right hand side:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts