Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and my sister decided they would like to trade rides this weekend while I was at work. My sister has been a long time scooter rider going through I think at least 6 different scoots over the past 10 years. (She was never able to get the hang of shifting anything).
Anyway, she had totaled her latest Yamaha Majesty on a sandy corner and decided to get a Honda CTX700n DCT.
My wife has been on a 650 Suzuki Burgman Exec. for a couple years. They decided to try each others rides Sunday and Monday. Now I have the CTX in my garage next to the Wing.
I'm not sure how to handle the title changing as my sis still owes on the CTX but the Burger is paid for.
Anyone had any experience like this? I don't want to buy her bike, they just decided to trade straight across. My sister says she'll just continue to make the payments, but I'm not sure how to get the titles changed.:hmmm:

·
Super Moderator
28,145 Posts
Not sure of California laws. That seems to me to be something to discuss with a notary or title transfer person.

I know in Pennsylvania you Would Not be able to pull that off. The State would require proof of ownership and they would want their Sales tax from the transaction even though money didn't change hands you would have to pay tax on a fair value of the motorcycles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess we will have to talk with AAA about it. I remember when I gave my kids their first cars that it was just a title transfer with no taxes involved. I think this will go the same way, but my real concern is her finance co. changing the lien from the CTX to the Burger.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Canadian laws and procedures are vastly different, but changing the lien should not be all that hard. The determining factor might be in the fair market value of the two units and the residual of the outstanding loan.

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
I guess we will have to talk with AAA about it. I remember when I gave my kids their first cars that it was just a title transfer with no taxes involved. I think this will go the same way, but my real concern is her finance co. changing the lien from the CTX to the Burger.
the lien cannot be changed from the ctx to the burgman and you can't get a clear title until the ctx is paid off and the lien taken off the title

1 - 5 of 5 Posts