Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone-- Just pick-up a new 2010 Red Airbag model, Finally had enough of the Beemers and after years of Wing history I'm here. I would like to add a few things right away and would appreciate all the help I can get. I would like to add a CB radio and understand that there are different packages to purchase and install. The OEM from Honda or a aftermarket from Wingstuff, which do you recommend?? Also I would like to install my Valentine 1 radar detector and have it integrated into the intercom system. Has anyone connected a cell phone that integrates into the intercom system? Please recommend ways to tie it together. Overall 3 items to get me started.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Welcome from Oregon
Glad to hear you made the change

You sound like a man on a mission. Lots of experience and opinions here....

Welcome

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First, welcome to the GWOF and congrats on your new Wing purchase. I don't have a CB on my Wing, but I did have the one that came from the factory on my 98 GL1500. It worked fine for what I needed (talking to others in the group of riders). Don't know about the one from Wingstuff, but they do make some nice items for the Wing. Maybe decision comes down to $$$.

Good luck with your Wing and ride safe...

·
Registered
466 Posts
To each his own but I have some advice on the CB thing.
First of all, if all you want to do is talk to your fellow riders that are within sight? There are cheaper ways to go than the price gouging factory CB.
But keep this in mind. It is my understanding that any CB on a bike, any bike, will only transmit about 3 miles or so. I am no expert and I have never owned or used any CB on any Bike. But I did research it pretty good as I had planned on buying one.

But once I found that they have very little transmit range, it made it pretty much pointless for what I wanted it for. Heck I can see 3 miles!

And before anyone jumps on me, I said I am no expert and have absolutely no experience with a CB on a bike. But I do know that over the month I researched it, I found that the majority of CB owners claimed a transmit range of only a couple miles.
It has something to THE small size of a MC chassis and grounding?

But anyway, in my opinion, if you are looking for a long range CB, forget it. If you are looking for a very expensive "Walky Talky" then this is for you.

And then again, I could be wrong.

So for now, when I want to talk to my buddies in a group? I pull out the Paint Ball gun and shoot em in the back of the helmet till they pull over!:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tks Buzzy for the insight however my post was asking I feel very specific questions.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Tks Buzzy for the insight however my post was asking I feel very specific questions.
Gotcha, just being helpful is all. I for one had no idea of the range limitations for a CB on a bike and would have been very upset with my purchase.

I have nothing to add to help with your specific questions and will bow on out now.
Good luck to ya and welcome aboard!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello biev, welcome to GWOF

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

My factory cb on my 94 1500 works great! I am sure there will be some folks more knowledgeable than me will chime in shortly.

Welcome from Seattle!

·
Registered
124 Posts
My only experience is with the factory CB on my '04. Works great. WE have the J&M on my wife's Shadow. I would recommend one that is fully integrated with the system already.

As for Buzzy, 2-3 miles is about right, under some circumstances it can be more. But several groups I ride with use the CB to communicate over the entire group. Other than HUGE charity rides, 2-3 miles will easily cover any group I ride with and we can ALL hear each other and talk. A little common sense and we have a great time sharing while riding, and it makes it a lot safe. For instance. When on group rides, we mention to keep chatter down so lead and tail bikes can communicate problems, etc. Makes the ride much safer. There are devices if all you want to do is between rider/passenger or two bikes, but more than two (or maybe 3) you need a CB. Plus you can get traffic info from CH 19 if needed. FRS based units can work for the same 2-3 miles (don't believe those that claim 10 mile range, that again is under ideal conditions, 1-2 miles is more like it) but aren't as universal. I have communicated by CB with groups riding the opposite direction. I won't have a bike without CB.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
My only experience is with the factory CB on my '04. Works great. WE have the J&M on my wife's Shadow. I would recommend one that is fully integrated with the system already.

As for Buzzy, 2-3 miles is about right, under some circumstances it can be more. But several groups I ride with use the CB to communicate over the entire group. Other than HUGE charity rides, 2-3 miles will easily cover any group I ride with and we can ALL hear each other and talk. A little common sense and we have a great time sharing while riding, and it makes it a lot safe. For instance. When on group rides, we mention to keep chatter down so lead and tail bikes can communicate problems, etc. Makes the ride much safer. There are devices if all you want to do is between rider/passenger or two bikes, but more than two (or maybe 3) you need a CB. Plus you can get traffic info from CH 19 if needed. FRS based units can work for the same 2-3 miles (don't believe those that claim 10 mile range, that again is under ideal conditions, 1-2 miles is more like it) but aren't as universal. I have communicated by CB with groups riding the opposite direction. I won't have a bike without CB.
Do most Goldwing Groups use a priority channel? What channel do you use or run on?

·
Registered
124 Posts
My local GWRRA chapter uses channel 8. STAR Touring and riding in general uses channel 2. I think a lot of motorcycle groups use Channel 1? Just ask before any group ride, and make sure everyone is on the same channel.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Biev, welcome from the heartland, you chose well. My '08 has factory CB, it works well, would not want to ride w/o it, in or out of a group. Enjoy you new red rider.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
My local GWRRA chapter uses channel 8. STAR Touring and riding in general uses channel 2. I think a lot of motorcycle groups use Channel 1? Just ask before any group ride, and make sure everyone is on the same channel.
Thanks. I joined GWRRA, but I have not gone on any rides with the local folks yet. It is still the rain season here.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the group Biev. CB is also in my future plans. Had the OEM unit on my 1500 and it was great; had a hand held Uniden on the 1200 and it was more than adequate too. I'll likely go Honda just to keep things the same but that's not a given. J&M has integrated systems for bluetooth applications as wel as there are some others out there too. Not sure about the radar detector though. I used to use them all the time, but I find that for our roads, they've outlived their usefulness. I like to think the best radar detection device is the silver Benz or Lexus coupe in front doing about 30 points past the posted limit (thruckers call that a blocker). I just tuck in behind one of those babies and I'm as safe from the Leo's as I can be. Plus it makes for a fun ride:D:cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
...I like to think the best radar detection device is the silver Benz or Lexus coupe in front doing about 30 points past the posted limit (thruckers call that a blocker)....
When I traveled the road many years back I used that logic often... but it doesn't always work; case in point: My wife and I were in the Lexus 450RX and going almost eighty in a 55 mph zone out on a county highway when we passed a county sheriff as we topped a rise. I did not have time to slow down and thought "oh oh." I kept going and after a while I saw him coming - lights lit, so I just pulled over and shut it off. Pretty soon he was standing by the window and we were having a conversation. Long story short; We were running late to get to church and and overslept because of the time change... if you were following me thinking I knew what I was doing... that I had a radar detector - you would have been a victim as well!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome from Ontario Canada. I have had a OEM CB on my three Goldwings. A 1985-1200 a 1998-1500 and my present 2003-1800.
The factory CB worked very well on all three bikes. The range is limited but they are used for group riding and listening to truckers trafic reports on Channel 19. Our GWRRA chapter always used channel one. I can't say anything about after market CB's but with the original OEM units everything is integrated and you can use the radio the intercom and the CB all at the same time. I also use my garmin gps through the aux port and the CB still works that way also. With the Garmin gps it has blue tooth so now my cell phone also works. You know your budget so make the best choice for yourself. Good luck. fiero1988gt

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Central Texas. Yes, the range on the CB is, will be about 3 miles. However I find it extremely handy when riding with my son. They don't transmit further because there is not enough ground plane surface for the signal to radiate properly. Its a high priced bike to bike intercom but worth it in my opinion. The Valentine 1 is in my opinion the best radar detector on the market. Forward and Rearward antennas and gives you the direction and strength of the radar/laser. It has a tremendous range. I have gotten indications as far as 2 miles before I met John Law. I have yet to find a good way to integrate it into the Wing audio system. BUT there is a better way. Go to the following site and check out the HARD System. For about $120 you get a small transmitter that plugs into the Valentine, and a small reciever with red LED that goes into your helmet. Its a stand alone Heads Up Display for the Valentine. When the Valentine goes off, it flashes the LED. Fits nicely in the helmet and provides visual alerts. Its very bright at night so you have to put something over the LED to dim it down. I have found this to be easier than trying to integrate the sound into the Wing. The web site is LEGAL SPEEDING and is http://www.legalspeeding.com/products.htm#RC
Again, Welcome. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts