Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My freinds call me Big Mike and I am from Reading Pa. I am buying a 95 SE Goldwing that has under 20,000 miles on it. It has not been run for 4 years. It has full tank of gas and the guy I am buying it from wants to drain gas and pull plugs then spray WD 40 in cylinders. He wants to make sure motor didn't freeze up from sitting. He put new tire on back and has a new tire to put on front. I will buy a new battery and change all fluids. I know it will need to be cleaned up and inspected. What else should I be looking for? Thanks Big Mike

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Hello and welcome Big Mike. By all means change the fluids, and check all wear items (seals, brakes, etc) and look for any telltale signs of seepage on fittings and such. Look at the inspection windows of the brake and clutch reserviors and make sure those fluids are nice and clean as well. When did the PO put the new tire on? If it was four years ago, there might not be much life left in it, even if there is little or no mileage on it. Along with fresh fuel, a good fuel system cleaner like Seafoam or such is also a good idea. Not sure about the WD40, but I'm not a wrench so I'd ask a pro about it. I'd also ask about a 'test flight' to see about any handling issues (steering head bearings, fork springs etc) that could come up after sitting still for a while. Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,868 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Pa. If the PO has records that would be good and also, where was the bike stored? (covered or uncovered, outdoors, garage, heated garage) Just like any vehicle that has been sitting for 4 years, all the fluids should be checked/drained. The engine oil and filter should be changed as well. Check the air filter too. (sometimes little critters like to nest in there) Make sure all things work well such as brakes, clutch, cruse control, compressor, radio, etc... Sounds like you found a good one and with a little work should give you miles of fun. Ride safe..

·
Registered
26 Posts
damn, who bought a goldwing and never rode it? you scored!

since its relatively new and very low miles, i STRONGLY recamend having a honda shop going through to make sure everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, is within spec, an official honda shop WILL be able to check more than you possibly can in your garage. it might cost a bit, but it ensures that for the forseeable future, you wont have any major issues, or minor issues

this is advice coming from a honda and harley tech, but also a shade tree mechanic. its what i would do in your shoes.

the only bikes i touch myself is the total junk rust buckets. anything newer or in your condition id have it refreshed by official Honda center.

good luck!

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
BigMike77,

All the guys have given you some good advice. So the only thing I'm going to add is Welcome to the site from Schuyllkill County. Now as far as the Honda shop goes let me recommend Lebanon Valley Cycles. They specialize in Wings. My bike originally came from there even though I'm the 3rd owner & they still do my major stuff. They are good people. The type of shop that calls you & says "Hey you can probably get away with changing this tire for now but you may want to consider putting a new one on while we have it here." They saved a fuel filter one time to show me even though I asked them to change it when I took it in. They just wanted me to know that there was some serious debris in it & that I may want to keep my eye on it for the future. Sorry I'm rambling a bit, but I say again Welcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts