Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have been out on the bike a couple of times since I picked it up,
(one day after pickup we got 8' snow), started it up today with the wife looking at it and she looks at me and asks 'why's the bike screeching'. I noticed the whine before but maybe I was too happy with the way it rides.
I looked around the web and read a couple of possible reasons, the alternator gears or the transmission gears. Mine does it sitting in neutral at idle, what do you think?

By the way , mines a 2010 base model, 300 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Don't know '57 but don't even mess around with it, Check the fluids in gearbox & then call the dealer. The only thing I would do is be sure that you get the answers from them what it was.

As always this is just One Ole Fossil's Opinion.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
A noise can be easier to hear than to describe. Note that you offer two terms here: hers is " screeching " and yours is " whining " There is a certain " whine " to the engine while it is stationary or moving, and the more you throttle up the higher the pitch gets. The important issue is to know which sounds are inherent and innocuous and which are not. I'm always comparing the sound of my Wing to others when I have the opportunity on group rides, especially when we are idling in a parking lot. It is good to establish a listening foundation with your bike; and having your questions answered in the beginning will help create a " benchmark " . It has always been my belief that you can be a blind mechanic , but you can't be a deaf mechanic. When the snow melts stop by your faithful Honda Dealer, find a mechanic working on a Goldwing and invite him to listen to your running bike. Or...... plan a trip to Gettysburg one Saturday and I know I can get three GL1800 and at least one 95SE 1500 for a lunch at Perkin's Restaurant and we can compare noises.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
One thing to note is that sometimes the fuel injectors make a noise that many are not familiar with. Since yours is a new 2010 I would have it checked by the dealer to easy your mind and your wife's. I like Gettysburg and Perkins...

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Get a look and listen at the dealership for sure. It's a new bike, and a new ride to you so you may hear many different things you're not used to. But better safe, no wondering is no problems.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
There is a big difference in the 1500 and 1800 noise when idling

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All, thanks for the feedback. I just got back from the dealer where I had the mech check it
out. No problems just the characteristic of the bike that I ( or the wife) am not used to.
I will have get around more wings and compare. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That's great news. Now get riding and get used to the nuances and flavours of that baby!

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I'm glad to hear there is no problem. They do sound different than most bikes, depending on what you are used to.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
All, thanks for the feedback. I just got back from the dealer where I had the mech check it
out. No problems just the characteristic of the bike that I ( or the wife) am not used to.
I will have get around more wings and compare. Thanks again.
There are and / or could be lots of Wings at Perkin's in Gettysburg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts