Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. no flames please.

First post here and looking for advice. Never owned a Wing but am looking at getting one, BIL and his wife have '08 and want us to get one to tour with them. I don't have much money to spend right now and don't know if we'll really like/use it to its potential so looking for something relatively cheap (also have a kid in college so can't spend his college fund!).

Last street bike I owned was '75 or so CB550. Been riding/racing dirt bikes all my life.

Any advice? I know that's a wide open question just thought you "experts" could help out a newbie.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, greetings from Florida.
Try to locate a decent GL-1500, you can sometimes get a nice one for a good price.
Don't shy away when you see the miles on them, a well maintained Wing can last for 300,000 miles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello and welcome to the forum, greetings from Florida.
Try to locate a decent GL-1500, you can sometimes get a nice one for a good price.
Don't shy away when you see the miles on them, a well maintained Wing can last for 300,000 miles.
Thanks, is there somewhere I can find a chronology for the Wing, like what year they went to 1500, then 1800, when ABS was added, etc?

Found it, wherelse? wikipedia, thanks Joe in calif, keep the suggestions coming, don't know if I can afford it but will keep looking.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
1988 to 2000 were 1500's, 2001 to now are 1800's. If you can try for a 95 or newer 1500, there were some differences that were made than but all 1500's were bullet proof.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Goggle Honda Goldwing History and there's plenty of sites that have the GW history.
I have a 91 black 1500 with 90,000 miles. I love it, my wife loves it. :)
Good luck and ride safe,
Strat

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
New to the Goldwing also Nayther. It is a wonderful bike, whichever year you chose or want to afford.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi newbie

If you are going to tour with another couple with a wing get a wing. If you dont you will be sitting in the resturant sore bottomed while they ride off into the sunset. Personally I think you should come up with an 01 - 04 for less than 8K. Keep searching and stay under 60K miles.
By the way you should get most of your money back in a couple years. You wife will appreciate the wing very much. Be sure to take a riders course and put on several hundred miles especially around town and at slow speed before you load wife on. I dont know much about 1500s, but I see many riders with 1200s and these work well and last forever. If the stator goes out its a major overhaul. Look for one that has been all ready done.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are going to tour with another couple with a wing get a wing. If you dont you will be sitting in the resturant sore bottomed while they ride off into the sunset. Personally I think you should come up with an 01 - 04 for less than 8K. Keep searching and stay under 60K miles.
By the way you should get most of your money back in a couple years. You wife will appreciate the wing very much. Be sure to take a riders course and put on several hundred miles especially around town and at slow speed before you load wife on. I dont know much about 1500s, but I see many riders with 1200s and these work well and last forever. If the stator goes out its a major overhaul. Look for one that has been all ready done.
Good advice, thanks. Found Wikipedia has the whole chronology so I can see when the changes were made. I'm on a budget so 8k won't do it. Must keep it under 5k as we still need helmets, jackets, etc. Yes, thought about the MSF course, would be a good idea even though been riding most of my life, not a lot of street miles. Definitely want to get comfortable before putting the wife on the back; my BIL has offered his wing to try and I told him the same thing.

Just found a 1989 with 57,000 for 4200, looks like a decent deal and its close by.

What's this about the stator?

How hard are these bikes to work on? I've always done my own work on my dirt bikes, even rebuilding motors, etc. Can it be done with a Wing? Lots of special tools required (god I love tools!)?

Sorry for all the questions, as said, newbie.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi Nay

Ask around, Im not an expert on what it is but I do know on some years Honda placed the stator in space and built the wing around it. It is a day of labor to tear down to replace it. I looked on line and saw an 89 is a 1500. The stator problem was only on 1200 as far as i know. Good luck with your choice and I hope you are happy as a wing owner.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
For me a new wing is impossible to work on. I have a lavish tool kit, more drawers and cubbys than a Rothschild banker has fingers. I will add that in my multi drawered tool box is one and only one item....a 3 x 5 card that says in bold print CALL THE DEALER !

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For me a new wing is impossible to work on. I have a lavish tool kit, more drawers and cubbys than a Rothschild banker has fingers. I will add that in my multi drawered tool box is one and only one item....a 3 x 5 card that says in bold print CALL THE DEALER !
Thanks Bill, I'll look around for an independent mechanic, don't want to take a bike to the stealer, even though I do personally know a Honda dealer, just too far to get to.

I see you have a pretty large stable by your signature. Do you work on the other bikes?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
HI Nay

No stable here, I have only one bike. Those are my riding history.

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
The GL1200 (84-87) used the stator that was on back of the engine. The GL1500 (88-00) uses an alternator that is fairly easily accessed and lasts much longer.
The 89 for $4,200 sounds like a decent deal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Naythier...Great that you are looking at the GW's....coming from your CB550...keep in mind the GW is a great bike...but can be heavy at times....if you get one...find yourself an empty school parking lot and practice....the weight shifting is different...I just upgraded from a '81 GW to 2010 GW and had to practice...the two bikes even though GW's handled differently.....

Good Luck and Safe Rides...

·
Registered
793 Posts
The most work you'll need to do on a wing is change oil, change oil and change oil. After a few of these then you'll need to change tires, it looks worse than it really is and if you've been working on dirt bikes it should be no problem. It'll take maybe 1.5 for the front and 2-3 for the rear on a 1500. Couple sets of tires and then you need some brakes, changing oil between these of course. I've got close to 95,000 miles on mine and that's about all I've had to do.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I've listened to all of you as well as a friend that has an 1800, used to have a 1500 and I've narrowed it down to a 1500, one that I can pay cash for I hope. Looked at one at a dealer today but didn't really like it, looked a bit too "ridden" 87k miles on 1995, which is fine, just didn't grab me. I'm going to go look at a '89 this afternoon with 57k miles, much cheaper and more within my range. Will let you all know how it works out. Do Wings go for less in the "off season" like boats do? Say around Christmas or tax time? I assume I'm trying to buy in the "high season".

Thanks everyone for the responses.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Don't know about down there, but up here the season is waning rapidly. Dealerships (like us) and private sellers are more willing to dicker and sell rather than sit on a machine for the winter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
short season

Don't know about down there, but up here the season is waning rapidly. Dealerships (like us) and private sellers are more willing to dicker and sell rather than sit on a machine for the winter.
Sure is a short season up there isn't it? Don't think I could handle all that white stuff!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts