Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Im new here and don't own a bike yet. I cut my teeth on the forums RVs with Diesel pickup trucks, specifically Dodge Cummins. I also do alot of ATV riding and own a Honda Rancher and a Yamaha Grizzly.

My wife and I go RVing about once every couple of months and that usually involves ATV riding on trails with friends. But now im thinking about getting a motorcycle to cruise on the road while we are out and about, or perhaps take on a trip from the house as well.

I haven't ridden motorcycles in years and years and never much before. The only thing I can say is I respect the dangers involved and that I do have a motorcycle endorsement license.

Other than that im pretty ignorant. I may be in the market for a clean, older goldwing. If you have any advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello texasctd, welcome to GWOF. the first thing YOU have to do is figure out which older goldwing you like and wouldn't mind purchasing. don't leave it up to someone else

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks detdrbuzzard. Well im so new and just got this idea a few days ago really. So im soul searching what I want and what I want to do. Im not sure if a Goldwing is even what I should buy. What I mean is, should I consider getting a smaller bike to run around on and get used to the world of motorcycles before stepping up the wing?

I want a bike now to start riding before I take my wife with me on a trip on one. At the same time I don't want a huge investment in something unless I know im going to ride it and get my monies worth out of it. Then I would eventually sell the older wing (if I got one) and buy a newer one. Im setting myself up for retirement one day in about 10 or so years and I would rather be a "newbie" now than when im 55+.

I love the new wings but im thinking about something maybe 1996-2000, lots of miles, but in good shape....to keep the price down before I invest further.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. You will be amazed at how well the Wing handles, even the older 1500's. That would be a good place to start. The 1500 was made from 1988 until 2000 and there a lot of good low mileage and high mileage available. Parts are also readly available. So find one in your price range, take it for a test, practice and have a great time with the wife on the back.

Ride safe and enjoy the GWOF..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks two wheel. Are there any specific problems with the 1500s that I need to be aware of? Is there anything wrong with going older than a 88 to an older, prior generation wing? Or would you say the 1500 bikes are where I need to shop?

Im hoping to buy a clean, perhaps high mileage but well cared for bike for under 5K to start, if the general consensus is to go ahead and get wing vs. some other smaller bike since im so inexperienced.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
......... and I would rather be a "newbie" now than when I'm 55+...........
As soon as my dentures are done soaking so I can speak clearly I'll get back to you with some old sage advise. " 55+" ? Why 55 ? Why not 58 ? That will give me three more years. If you're going to ride the Mrs. a 1500 would be the choice. When you hit that magic number of 55 then, and only then , will you be old enough to ride the 1800.They come up for sale here from time to time and some beauties have passed through this board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As soon as my dentures are done soaking so I can speak clearly I'll get back to you with some old sage advise. " 55+" ? Why 55 ? Why not 58 ? That will give me three more years. If you're going to ride the Mrs. a 1500 would be the choice. When you hit that magic number of 55 then, and only then , will you be old enough to ride the 1800.They come up for sale here from time to time and some beauties have passed through this board.

LOL, chopin, please don't think I think 58 or anything older is "old". I hope to be riding my motorcycle many many years past that..LOL.

I just hope to retire when im 55 and I want riding my wing to be old news by then. I want to have 10 years experience by then.

I guess I'll focus my bike searches on 1500's for now....

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Hello TexasCTD and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of very nice 1500s for under $5,000.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF and hope you find a Wing that fits your needs.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The 1500 is a fine machine and good for many miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts