Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Goldwingers ,please lend me your ear if i may ,im from central indiana and i can never remember a time that i didnt have a 2 wheeler in the garage , the driveway ,or sometimes even in my kitchen ! My parents raised 2 sets boys 10 years apart so me and my little brother had these older brothers that had motorcycles as there main means of transportation so i fellin love very early ,I learned to kick start and ride a bonniville long before i could drive a car or even touch the ground my oldest brother would hold me up with the sissybar to get me going and then catch me after a ride around the block showing off to all the neighbors .I was hooked I would go to bed at night dreaming about that bike and me one day just not stopping and going where ever it took me. Well my oldest brother is 70 now he stopped riding years ago ,but me and my little brother still ride every chance we get and ive gone months without ever even getting in an auto.Ive got 5 daughters 4 of them very close in age when they were in grade school the bus stop was a mile from are house and i woul;d transport them on my 750 kmodel all at the same time 2 on the gas tank and 2 behind me on the seat now there in there in there 20's and they tell there kids about how much fun they had and fighting over who got that front seat on the tank, which i had to keep track of so everone got there turn.I have Owned lots of Hondas but never a gold wing I actualy have a chance to pick up a 77 1000 and a 78 1000 at mabe to good of price .They say the 77 runs but somehow a lower bolt on the clutchhousing has stripped and it leaks oil so bad while running it would be impossible for me to ride the 15 minutes to my house.Does anyone have any thoughts on this .Im not afraid of a little work to help an old bike get new life have done this many times with Hondas and love riding them old bikes.I am close to partialy restoring a 72 500four that was pretty rough. I read recently that honda claims the 500 four was like there pregoldwing it was buit more for its ride than anything else.Hope someone can comment. Heres a pic of me and my wife on are wedding day riding off on that Kmodel ......Rode that bike every season for seventeen years it never let me down Land vehicle Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I'm not experienced with the older Wings, but some here are. I'm sure they will be along shortly with advice.

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I would try to repair the stripped hole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well yes ,what i thinking could we be talking rear seal mabey and they dont want to say

does the engine and trans share oil ?

THe bike was listed as running ,but when i mentioned toping off fluids possibly riding 10 miles to house ,the answer was no way .dont get me wrong its price is right for stripped bolt or 2, but is it more than that .

if it is, what am i getting into?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Can you take a picture of the offending bolt, it would help. If unable to take a picture can you describe where it is located.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You can use helicoils or tap the hole out to a larger size bolt. Either will take some work IF that is really the problem.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
82 Posts
Heli coils will repair if it has enough material around it to work with. I have used them. Proceed carefully after reading the instructions at least twice. I had a 72 CB500/4 cylinder bike. I always thought after reading all the reviews at the time in the bike magazines it was Honda's answer to British bikes as it handled like on rails!! WOW! that puppy could corner! Dragging pegs was so easy it was scary! I had some passengers, both male and female that commented about that!
I believe the CX 500 was more or less a baby Wing. Water cooled and shaft drive! Weird looking engine though for a Honda with the jugs sticking out on each side!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
yes i owned a cx it was fun bike, really bought for a friend who was just learning to ride thought it would be a good beginer bike but he decided not to ride, it wasnt for him .I will paste the article i read on the cb500.
Ok about the goldwing he described it as being a lower clutch housing bolt with a 10mm head on it ,he pointed around where the cable entered the case which should be a dry area i think.Ilooked underneath and possibly seen the clutch housing behind and above an east west chunk of frame, it looked like a vertical housing with that size bolts but i seen no trace of oil but i have no past with any goldwing mechanicly .

Ithink a 1/4 20 tap could fix the stripped threads but getting a straight shot i dont know was hopeing mabey someone has had this same problem

the owner claims to have overtightened tring to slow leak

The cx reminds me of another bike i owned and rode for a while, the 850 eldorado Moto guzzi, man i loved that bike it was air cooled but was shaft drivin with the v shaped twin i guess called opposed configuration., mabey?...... wish i still had both them bikes .,I remember sitting at a stop light w/the guzzi and the handle bars have no movment at all but the rest of the bike be rumbling east and west by like 4" including my butt

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Good luck with the bike if you get it. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could repair that with a Heli-Coil or E-Z Lok insert (google them) assuming that stripped threads was all that's going on. You'd need to look at it in detail to make sure it isn't a cracked housing (that would be much more complicated to repair) or other major issue. Losing 3-4 quarts of oil in such a short distance seems like a lot to me for just a stripped thread.

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
If they don't think it'll make it a few miles, it is more than a slow leak from a stripped bolt. I personally think I'd pass if is indeed leaking that bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts