Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been riding motorcycles since 1992, but, aside from rentals, never had a GoldWing until this week. Picked up a 1990 with a California Sidecar Company Friendship III. I'm hoping to ride both solo and with sidecar, but will stick with just sidecar for a bit til the weather is warmer.

Since it is still fairly cold, I'd like to make some tweaks now, when I won't mind it being hung up. But being totally new to the Wing, I was hoping I could get some advice from people who have or had the 1500.

- lower windshield--how long does it take to swap out windshields? for the warmer months, I'd like a tinted shorty. But stock (or perhaps even an aftermarket taller one) are critical in the cooler weather. Is it realistic to hope it's easy to swap regularly? How many minutes to change?

- stereo upgrades--anyone with a 1500 upgrade the stereo, ideally to something that accepts an iPod auxiliary feed (through the iPod power connection (so it charges it), not just the headphone jack).

- this bike came with a hardwired intercom system--anyone have experience hooking their iPhone to this and being able to make calls? or should I just forget this is even on there and go for a full Bluetooth configuration?

- debadging? the various places it says "GoldWing" and "1500" around the bike are not to my taste (don't know if they all came in gold or this was an option--if they were silver/chrome, I may not mind them as much). On my Honda Fury I used a blow dryer to warm them up and remove them--can I do the same on the Wing?

- front brake covers -- the plastic over the brakes, is that functional/necessary? I think I'd prefer the look of seeing the wheel/brakes more, just curious

Thanks!!!!
Phil Augur

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Look at the Windbender adjustable windshield. As you can see with mine it's in the lowest setting and can go up higher than my ability to see over it. It's tinted and has a mechanical track that can be manual or electric.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Maryland , can't help you on this since I have a 1800 but you have come to the right place

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Hi,

I've been riding motorcycles since 1992, but, aside from rentals, never had a GoldWing until this week. Picked up a 1990 with a California Sidecar Company Friendship III. I'm hoping to ride both solo and with sidecar, but will stick with just sidecar for a bit til the weather is warmer.

Since it is still fairly cold, I'd like to make some tweaks now, when I won't mind it being hung up. But being totally new to the Wing, I was hoping I could get some advice from people who have or had the 1500.

- lower windshield--how long does it take to swap out windshields? for the warmer months, I'd like a tinted shorty. But stock (or perhaps even an aftermarket taller one) are critical in the cooler weather. Is it realistic to hope it's easy to swap regularly? How many minutes to change? - Like Dan said the Windbender is a good option, not terribly hard to change a windshield but it would be a pain in the [email protected]# to do it regularly.

- stereo upgrades--anyone with a 1500 upgrade the stereo, ideally to something that accepts an iPod auxiliary feed (through the iPod power connection (so it charges it), not just the headphone jack). -Lots of ways around this I'll let some of the stereo buffs answer this.

- this bike came with a hardwired intercom system--anyone have experience hooking their iPhone to this and being able to make calls? or should I just forget this is even on there and go for a full Bluetooth configuration? -Most guys who want to play around with phones on their Wing go with either the Scala or Sena systems but J&M may have what you need as well.

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=32

- debadging? the various places it says "GoldWing" and "1500" around the bike are not to my taste (don't know if they all came in gold or this was an option--if they were silver/chrome, I may not mind them as much). On my Honda Fury I used a blow dryer to warm them up and remove them--can I do the same on the Wing? - Never paid too much attention but I think they are all gold. Yes you can do that but some like the side covers also have 2 pins.

- front brake covers -- the plastic over the brakes, is that functional/necessary? I think I'd prefer the look of seeing the wheel/brakes more, just curious - No they are not. They are a cover only.

Thanks!!!!
Phil Augur

Welcome to the GWOF from PA.

Any other questions feel free to ask.:ThumbsUp:

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Welcome Phil. Dan beat me to the punch on the windshield. There's no real simple way to do the radio upgrades you're wanting, the old system requires a bit of connection mods/additions to do that. They're not compatible as is though. Pretty sure the rotor covers will come off (bolt-ons) but not sure what will come off with them or leave behind (maybe unfinished looking?).
Post a pic or two of that rig of yours!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I had a 89 1500. Just traded it on a 12 1800. The stock windshield is all I can comment on. I always kept mine on the tallest setting. I'm sure others can help with your other questions. Lot of good info here.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
You can get an iTrip that will let you use the iPod through the FM radio and charge the unit.

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
hello phlaug, welcome to GWOF. to me the wheels look really ugly with the rotor covers removed

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Welcome from Pa.

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on getting a Wing.
Normally when a bike has a sidecar it also has raked triple trees and riding without the sidecar changes the handling.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you really need to take the emblems off try this get some fishing line or dental floss and work it behind the emblems to cut the adhesive lose. Then just clean up the little left behind. ---------------Hal

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
On a 95 1500 ,both mirrors loose then some Tupperware, total time 45 min 1st time and 25 second time on the windshield. I have a 4 inch extra tall and 2 inch extra wide. I leave mine that way, but it is adjustable.
Radio you can do a mod or http://www.sierra-mc.com/ can do a mod. I am like Santini I like my Goldwing emblems.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Hello & welcome from the wonderful state of VA!

Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Everyone!

DanB, thanks for the tip, will definitely check out the Windbender!

Thanks, GORDO--1800 is a nice ride: rented one in Miami last year and rode the Keys.

Thank you, fossil92.

Thanks, budoka. Will definitely post pictures soon. I dropped it off at Kent Road Motorsports yesterday so that Jim Batterton can get me new tires, and give the brakes, etc. a good run through. He noted that the bike has not yet been raked, and so that should help the heavy steering considerably. It was a great ride over there (about 70 miles) and comfortable except for my hands--time for heated handgrips like my snowmobiles!

Thanks, superdave1120. I wonder if the bike's shield is in fact stock, because you mention settings and this piece is fixed in place (unless somehow you are able to "lose" some if it down behind the big chrome piece?)--am I misunderstanding what's there?

Thanks, Cantankerous. Forgot about that. I had an iTrip for an old OLD iPod of mine (2nd gen). My main reason for asking about the other thing I was I would also want the iPhone kept charged up, so the base connector can transmit the music and keep it charged. Looks like I'll just have to wire up a cigarette charger separately. Anyone have any recommendations on where to stick that for the cleanest looks or most utility?

Thanks, detdrbuzzard. You don't have a picture of a 1500 without the rotor covers lying around, do you? Maybe I'd just be happier if I painted the rotor covers differently.

I understand santini1953--taste is very individual. My main beef with them is they are gold colored, and there's a bunch of shiny chrome bits elsewhere. I have never liked gold trim in close proximity to chrome trim (like a lot of people like that on their cars, and I simply don't). Plus, with the badges gone, there's more room for a paint job. I've never painted any of my bikes, as the "canvas" is small and I didn't really care. But on this rig, I have room for something large. I need to spend time mulling it over.

Thanks, Two Wheel Wing.

Thanks, trike lady. Yeah, we learned yesterday it has not yet been raked. But the steering is so heavy, I'm going to do the raking and not worry about solo riding. I have three two-wheeled bikes to pick from, and so while none are the long range comfy cruisers that a solo Wing would be, I'll live! I like your signature--are you seriously getting an F6B and triking it out? That will be awesome!

Thanks, BUDDTWO, great tip! Jim at Kent Road Motorsports said that the side cover emblems are pinned through, not just adhesive--can anyone with a 1500 confirm that?

Thanks, Hallct--can you explain the adjustable piece? I think I am just missing something (probably should read the manual!) Thanks for the link to the Sierra Electronics.

Thanks, W1ngin1t--I agree your state is beautiful. Quite enjoyed it some years ago on my Ninja 1000R. Now your cops? Quite a bit less beautiful---and a little too liberal with their tickets for my taste! ;-)

I appreciate everyone's input and welcomes. Can't wait to get the rig back from Jim and start putting on the miles.

·
Premium Member
24,117 Posts
Hey Phil. I would have chimed in, but the Admins told me to stop making comments on issues I know nothing about. Now that their resolved, welcome aboard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts